The Student Room Group

Is anyone watching How racist is Britain on BBC3?

Scroll to see replies

On this very rare occasion I am going to agree with you as I see white muslims all the time.. I treat them the same as all muslims by staying well clear and frowning from a distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
I find think you missed the point. Of course racism exists, but it does not exist at the same levels as a lot of the world. I have a fair amount of time in South Africa, using that as my benchmark of a racist country. The UK doesn't even compare. And to even remotely suggest that it does is laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because it may occur at a lower level compared to the rest of the world this does not mean that it occurs at a low level in the UK and, as you seem to have done, should be brushed under the rug and disregarded. Does it even matter? Racism, no matter how insignificant it may seem, should not be tolerated.
Original post by goldenshades
Just because it may occur at a lower level compared to the rest of the world this does not mean that it occurs at a low level in the UK and, as you seem to have done, should be brushed under the rug and disregarded. Does it even matter? Racism, no matter how insignificant it may seem, should not be tolerated.

How have I brushed it under the rug?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should take a trip to South Africa, you might learn something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^

A higher level of racism in one country does not excuse its frequency in another country.
(edited 8 years ago)
^^

A higher level of racism in one country does not excuse its frequency in another country.

How do you quantify the level of racism without comparison?

Who ever said that racism was excused?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you quantify the level of racism without comparison?

Who ever said that racism was excused?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is something I should be asking you; what does South Africa have to do with anything in a thread that questions racism in Britain? You yourself have noted that there are different countries where racism occurs at higher levels in comparison to the UK and so seem to have made the judgement that Britain is "not very" racist, so where's your proof for this; are you a member of an ethnic minority in the UK who has travelled all over the world?
That is something I should be asking you; what does South Africa have to do with anything in a thread that questions racism in Britain? You yourself have noted that there are different countries where racism occurs at higher levels in comparison to the UK and so seem to have made the judgement that Britain is "not very" racist, so where's your proof for this; are you a member of an ethnic minority in the UK who has travelled all over the world?

I was an ethnic minority in South Africa.

Proof: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

The answer remains, the UK is not very racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't expect these many replies.
Original post by walking in glass
What?

Yeah I realised after that is incorrect but people had already quoted it so I thought I'd leave it and hope no one noticed....

Quick Reply

Latest