The Student Room Group

Poll on polyamory!

I'm kind of curious about how y'all feel about polyamory and open relationships, so I've got a poll for you all! Answer the questions below with either a 'yes' or 'no', and you can elaborate on your answers too if you so wish (seeing why you feel how you do would be interesting!). For those of you who don't know what polyamory is, it's having romantic relationships with multiple partners with the consent of all the partners (hence it's different from cheating).

1- Do you believe polyamory is ethical?

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners?

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners?

4- Would you ever want to have multiple romantic partners?
1. each to their own, so long as it's consensual, i dont really care

2. yeah sure

3. nope not at all

4. no
Reply 2
Original post by Darelz
I'm kind of curious about how y'all feel about polyamory and open relationships, so I've got a poll for you all! Answer the questions below with either a 'yes' or 'no', and you can elaborate on your answers too if you so wish (seeing why you feel how you do would be interesting!). For those of you who don't know what polyamory is, it's having romantic relationships with multiple partners with the consent of all the partners (hence it's different from cheating).

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners?

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners?

1 - consent is the basis of ethics

2 - they have my consent

3 - they do not have my consent in a serious relationship

4 - possibly in a non serious relationship
Reply 3
Original post by whorace
1 - consent is the basis of ethics

2 - they have my consent

3 - they do not have my consent in a serious relationship

4 - possibly in a non serious relationship

Why might you be happy with polyamory in a more casual relationship, but not a more serious one, out of interest?
Reply 4
Original post by Darelz
Why might you be happy with polyamory in a more casual relationship, but not a more serious one, out of interest?

I see casual relationships as based on pleasure and serious ones based on duty; a serious commitment to someone means seeing them through when things get rough, I think this requires an exclusive kind of intimacy which simply would not work.
Nothing wrong with t as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult but personally, I don't think it's for me, it's certainly not unethical :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by whorace
I see casual relationships as based on pleasure and serious ones based on duty; a serious commitment to someone means seeing them through when things get rough, I think this requires an exclusive kind of intimacy which simply would not work.

I can respect that. For me personally commitment doesn't require exclusivity. I'm in a serious relationship with one girl, and I've just started seeing another, and thus far it's been no harder to support my original girlfriend, and I don't see why being poly would make it become harder in the future in my situation. In a way seeing two people makes commitment easier for me, since you have to communicate more, so I'm more likely to make sure I talk about things with my partner than let things slide. There's also the fact my two girl friends are becoming closer from both dating me, and so can rely on one another more (they were friends before seeing me). I can see why one would struggle to seriously commit to multiple partners though: relationships require a lot of time and energy, thus more relationships requires more time and energy which you may not have. Plus you have to handle possible jealousy/insecurity in poly relationships, which will vary in difficulty depending on who is involved. So while I think it is possible for some people (including myself) to seriously commit to multiple people, I can see why it wouldn't suit many.
1. Yes, so long as all parties are aware of it.
2. Sure, if I liked him or her well enough in other areas to be friends with him or her in the first place.
3. No.
4. I'm not sure.
Original post by Darelz

1. No more or less ethical than exclusive relationships.

2. Several of my friends are poly. And dating each other.

3. No.

4. No.
Reply 9
1- Do you believe polyamory is ethical? I don't see how it is unethical..?

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners? Yeah why not (if the people they're with are aware)

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners? ummm maybe I'm not sure tbh. Circumstances are important I 'spose and depends on the person / where I am in my life then ???

EDIT: actually I have been in this situation lol, yes I was fine with it, and it wasn't because we didn't care about each other it was just how it was (?)

4- Would you ever want to have multiple romantic partners? yeah (?) I don't really know but I'm not going to say no because... who knows, right? :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Milzime
1- Do you believe polyamory is ethical? I don't see how it is unethical..?

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners? Yeah why not (if the people they're with are aware)

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners? ummm maybe I'm not sure tbh. Circumstances are important I 'spose and depends on the person / where I am in my life then ???

EDIT: actually I have been in this situation lol, yes I was fine with it, and it wasn't because we didn't care about each other it was just how it was (?)

4- Would you ever want to have multiple romantic partners? yeah (?) I don't really know but I'm not going to say no because... who knows, right? :lol:

Some people might think it's unethical for religious reasons. I don't think the Westboro Baptist Church, for example, would approve.

As for 3, I get things just being like that. Dating multiple people can be very enriching for everyone involved, so if everyone's comfortable with it why not?
Original post by Darelz

1- Do you believe polyamory is ethical? If all parties involved are happy with the situation and consenting then I see no ethical dilemma.

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners? Yes. It has no baring on our friendship and doesn't involve me.

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners? No. I'm someone who is only comfortable with being in monogamous relationships.

4- Would you ever want to have multiple romantic partners? No, for the same reason as #3

Answers in bold red.
1- Do you believe polyamory is ethical? if everyone consents

2- Would you feel comfortable being friends with somebody who was polyamorous and seeing multiple partners? my dad is in this type of relationship and iv met both his partners :smile: (it gets more interesting then just this though)

3- Would you personally be comfortable allowing your partner to have multiple partners? nope. id get jealous

4- Would you ever want to have multiple romantic partners? no, id feel guilty
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply