The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to share a room?

Going into second year we've found a 4 bed house. Me and my girlfriend want to share a room and split the rent while living with 3 others, is there anything illegal here?

Scroll to see replies

As long as you're both on the tenancy agreement, no.

(Which means the landlord has to be happy with this).
Original post by Mikewix
Going into second year we've found a 4 bed house. Me and my girlfriend want to share a room and split the rent while living with 3 others, is there anything illegal here?

It could be breaking your contract and cause problems if the landlord doesn't have a Hmo license so ask their permission first.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
It could be breaking your contract and cause problems if the landlord doesn't have a Hmo license so ask their permission first.

What's a HMO? What are the chances of being found?
It's illegal if it breaks the conditions of your contract.

The likelihood of it being discovered (officially) is minimal if all of your housemates are fine with it.
Reply 5
Very illegal, im on the phone with the police this second :laugh:
Original post by Mikewix
What's a HMO? What are the chances of being found?

Landlords have to have licenses if they have over a certain amount of people living in their property. That I couldn't tell you
Reply 7
Original post by Mikewix

If you tell the landlord, he will perhaps charge you more for the bills - sth like £20-30 a month - unless they are not included, then you must agree with other tenants to pay 40% of the bills (2/5).
Reply 8
Looking at the contract it says no paying guests, what would constitute that?
Reply 9
Original post by Mikewix
Looking at the contract it says no paying guests, what would constitute that?

That (in spirit) would mean not renting a room out on airbnb, though to the letter could mean that your arrangement wouldn't be allowed, only people occasionally staying over for free would be allowed.

I'd ask the landlord. Asking in person/by phone is more likely to get a yes (as it gives them a bit more 'flexibility' - it's up to them to report it, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong), but asking in writing, such as by email, is going to protect you more (as there's no potential issues of them claiming you breached the tenancy agreement).
Reply 10
Original post by JoeTSR
That (in spirit) would mean not renting a room out on airbnb, though to the letter could mean that your arrangement wouldn't be allowed, only people occasionally staying over for free would be allowed.

I'd ask the landlord. Asking in person/by phone is more likely to get a yes (as it gives them a bit more 'flexibility' - it's up to them to report it, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong), but asking in writing, such as by email, is going to protect you more (as there's no potential issues of them claiming you breached the tenancy agreement).

Thanks for the advice. How accommodating are landlords often found to be do you know?
Reply 11
Original post by Mikewix
Thanks for the advice. How accommodating are landlords often found to be do you know?

It'll depend on the person. Estate agents will probably be less accommodating than private landlords. That said, after a quick look at the guidelines on HMOs, any house with 3+ tenants has to be classified as one anyway, so the HMO issue shouldn't be any problem.

Providing that your girlfriend gets on the tenancy agreement, has the standard credit checks etc, and there are agreed processes in place for what will happen in the (hopefully unlikely) event that you two break up, I can't see that there'll be any problems with what you're suggesting (beyond the possibility of a small amount extra to cover utilities, as someone else alluded to).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JoeTSR
It'll depend on the person. Estate agents will probably be less accommodating than private landlords. That said, after a quick look at the guidelines on HMOs, any house with 3+ tenants has to be classified as one anyway, so the HMO issue shouldn't be any problem.

Providing that your girlfriend gets on the tenancy agreement, has the standard credit checks etc, and there are agreed processes in place for what will happen in the (hopefully unlikely) event that you two break up, I can't see that there'll be any problems with what you're suggesting (beyond the possibility of a small amount extra to cover utilities, as someone else alluded to).

You're a legend, thanks for giving some clarity to this. Will contact the relevant people! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Mikewix
You're a legend, thanks for giving some clarity to this. Will contact the relevant people! :smile:

No worries :smile:
Violating the terms of a contract is not quite "illegal".
Reply 15
Original post by callum_law
Violating the terms of a contract is not quite "illegal".

There's a law against breach of contract. Technically, it's a civil wrong, but I had a post removed and got a warning here (for 'encouraging illegal [activities]') over a post on civil trespass the other day, which is only a civil tort.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
There's a law against breach of contract. Technically, it's a civil wrong, but I had a post removed and got a warning here (for 'encouraging illegal [activities]') over a post on civil trespass the other day, which is only a civil tort.

Thanks for the law lesson, bud.
Original post by Ekno
Very illegal, im on the phone with the police this second :laugh:

Aw. Birman cat.

Is it a Birman? Or just a very similar looking breed?
Reply 18
Original post by callum_law
Thanks for the law lesson, bud.

Just one in response to your one :wink: and an aside to the rules of TSR.
Original post by JoeTSR
Just one in response to your one :wink: and an aside to the rules of TSR.

And I was just thinking about referencing the Community Team in one of my jurisprudence essays, but in light of this shameful, shameful news I shall be forced to reconsider!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending