The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Southampton University good?

Hi everyone, I'm currently on my gap year and starting at the university of southampton this September. I made the choice to go to Southampton but I am now doubting my decision. I understand the uni is part of the russell group and is pretty high in the league tables but the uni isn't really mentioned that much. Can anyone who knows anything about the uni tell me how its regarded among employers and student life at the university. Thank you!
Original post by ckitrom18
Hi everyone, I'm currently on my gap year and starting at the university of southampton this September. I made the choice to go to Southampton but I am now doubting my decision. I understand the uni is part of the russell group and is pretty high in the league tables but the uni isn't really mentioned that much. Can anyone who knows anything about the uni tell me how its regarded among employers and student life at the university. Thank you!

Heya :h: I've moved this into the University of Southampton forum for you - hopefully you get some replies here.

You may also wish to explore this forum - I see that there are a few threads run by students inviting people to ask them questions.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Yes, it's a great university with internationally renowned research across most faculties, remove yourself from the 'league table' 'prestige' debate, your future is in your hands, no matter if you went to a university ranked 80th or 3rd, only you can have the drive to succeed.

If you are really concerned about the uni 'being known', look at the departments publications, the research investment and lecturers, you're most likely find southampton university has fantastic research pedigree within your field.
Reply 3
It's probably wiser to worry about whether the degree they offer in your field will prepare you for your career, rather than how well known the university is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending