The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well at the end of the day the practical counts for 20% for the overall AS grade, so if you didn't too well you have 80% of the exam to make it up. Well thats the way reassure myself :biggrin:
Well personally i messed up !

But for the titeration i got 26.45 mean titre .. further more for the pottasium dichromate there was SOME colour change .. i got a test tube of dicromate and test tube of the mixture it went PALE YELLOW/ PALE GREEN... my inference was wrong saying it oxidised however there was a colour change and surely there is 1 mark for spotting that?!

Yes NaCl and the timing is AWFUL .. :frown:

Whats the min . % we need in this to get a A overall ? Please some 1 work iot out !
I got 26.60 for the titation. There was a bit of fiddling the answers, but it depends on the standard solution. Other people got 27.25 but had a higher mass in the standad solution.

My AgCl ppt didnt disolve, so i made the inference that there was a bromide ion, so i ended up changing the answer before to observing a cream ppt!

The ion was NaCl then, and the organic liquid (which i spilt!) was a chloalkane which was converted to a tertiary alcohol.

There thermo chemistry was ok, my overal change was 7.5 celcius. I said the zinc was in excess, and said that the overal temperature will be higher with an increase in conc. An increase on conc of cuso4 would mean more moles per voulme. However the heat change per mole would remain the same. (I hope) They should have given us more than 1 line to write it all, a bit pikey?)

The planning one was piss as long as you had already planned your answer. Good old barium sulphate. The other compound they threw on the question was a distractor so dont worry if you missed it.

I dont think ive done too well. The end point on the titration was impossible to see. I blame that acid being too weak! And the standard soloution wouldnt dissolve for anyone. Our teacher ended up the room temperature to around 30degrease to help it dissolve!

Some in my classes burette fell over on to the guy that make sure our teachers are cheeting. He got soaked!

Anyway, what else did people get in their answers. if I think ive dun as bad as i think, ill be back on this thread in 6 months for the retake!
oh correction for the one above, the guy was making sure are teachers "were not" cheating
Was this a harder than normal paper?

Im sure they normally dont ask us to do so much in 1 hour 45 ?

or am i just confused?
Reply 105
if the other group got Ba+ ion does that mean we are going to get something else?
any clues what? grp1 carbonate? what else ??:confused:
what did everyone get for their mean titre?
can you remember the mass you put in for the standard solution
i got 28.3 for my mean titre, which most other ppl in my class had got. But Im in India - quite hot out here lol!
Question 1 - it was kinda difficult and I was kinda nervous and when I was heating the test tube under the water bath, it was kinda scary lol. (in india, we dont get automatic gas - we need to 'light' up the flame lol).
Question 2 was fair - except the hilarious incident where I had completely forgotten about stirring the beaker with borate and was happily thinking that the volumetric flask job was done (pheW) when I turn back and see the beaker has a full sludge of borate . :biggrin:
Question 3 was pretty easy. I guess they wanted the temperature correction curve (which i drew) and wrote (delta) T as 6.5 . Hmm the last part I guess I might've messed up - if the concentration increased how would Delta T and the Delta H of reaction change.
If anyone saw my thread on Question 4, I guess they would've got full marks. :biggrin: It was the SAME exact thing I wrote (all you had to do was change the 'X' to 'K2') :biggrin:
Overalll quite an okay - okay exam...
My mass was like 2.69g...mean titre was way under 'cause I screwed up making up the solution. :frown:
my mass was 3.3g!!!! so my titre was 27.7.
Reply 110
my mean titre was 26.6 and the thermochemistry i got 8 as ^T. But i totally messed up my calculation due to mixing the borate thing wrongly :frown:
but I guess it could av gone worse sooo...
Yeah, at least you didn't get 25.75 :frown: I think I'm the only person in the whole country that managed to completely ignore the instructions, make up the solution incorrectly and get such a low titre :frown:

I got 8 as ^T as well...but everybody else doing 3A in my school seems to have gotten 7.5 :s
Reply 112
I put 25.75.. I didn't actually get it either.. I actually got 26.70.
I figured I must have been sloppy since practically every titration I've done has been around 25.50. So fiddling the answers hasn't actually helped me at all.

Score. :frown:
Reply 113
For the titration question I got 25.3 as my mean titre. And also when i weigh the empty container i think i forgot to put the cap back on. So would i lose 2 marks on making up a standard solution? just wondering......i'm actually quite nervous because that was my first exam done and i think i've screwed it up already......i might have lost 8 marks already....that i know of.......

Al

Latest