The Student Room Group

Beyonce Homage to Black Panthers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
They had 90% of their population wiped out by the European settlers and then were forced to walk thousands of miles to reserves which they were forced to live on.

It wasn't until 1924 where they were allowed to become US citizens and did not get full rights until 1948.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well at least your bringing some actual knowledge to the table, but if your wondering why they aren't out there committing as much crime as black americans than its because there simply isn't as many left.
Original post by chosenone93
Well at least your bringing some actual knowledge to the table, but if your wondering why they aren't out there committing as much crime as black americans than its because there simply isn't as many left.

Or it is because they still live on their reservations that are not governed by state law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or it is because they still live on their reservations that are not governed by state law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit of both

Have you got a comparison of crime rate between native americans and black americans?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Have you got a comparison of crime rate between native americans and black americans?

No but there are hardly any natives left in america to begin with so you know....
i swear,i'm actually scared of this generation. maybe it's all the white guilt that's getting to them. they're stereotypying black people and dismissing african american history and the effects racism has on black people. they're talking about how violent the black panthers were when they share the same race as hitler,stalin, the kkk etc
No but there are hardly any natives left in america to begin with so you know....

Around 3 million people with solely Native American ancestry; that's a fair number

so you know...
Ok, im digging a hole for myself now *backs out of thread*
Original post by bisolarsystem
i swear,i'm actually scared of this generation. maybe it's all the white guilt that's getting to them. they're stereotypying black people and dismissing african american history and the effects racism has on black people. they're talking about how violent the black panthers were when they share the same race as hitler,stalin, the kkk etc

What?
They had 90% of their population wiped out by the European settlers

Mainly caused by the diseases they brought with them, which were in turn brought to Europe through trade with Asia

Original post by bisolarsystem
The difference being that we don't celebrate Hitler, Stalin or the KKK
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Mainly caused by the diseases they brought with them, which were in turn brought to Europe through trade with Asia

I purposely left out the cause of their deaths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well they were a militant group. And the Party itself never killed anyone. It was certain people in the party.

They're celebrated because they left a legacy of being strong and black. They weren't perfect obviously, but they weren't as evil as all of you are making it out to be. They wanted the same things as MLK just quicker I guess
So they mostly died of disease as opposed to brutal treatment; this undermines a point earlier made hmmm plot thickens....
So they mostly died of disease as opposed to brutal treatment; this undermines a point earlier made hmmm plot thickens....

Disease caused by the settlers and others were just massacred and had their land taken from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drummerz
This is a stupid comparison honestly, you're going to compare that to slavery+Jim crowa and the black codes? all of which were implemented to ensure the second class status of black people in america. I honestly despise statements like "get over it" like it was no big deal, the slavery of your ancestors had nothing to do with the colour of their skin.

The point was that the past is the past, you have to move on.

The American slaves were freed in 1865. That is more than ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY years ago.

Now you point to the black codes and Jim Crow provisions. They only applied to the former Confederacy, so any African American in three quarters of the US was not subject to them, and those in the South could freely move to a former non slave State at any time And many did.

Further they were all abolished, finally, in 1965. MORE THAN FIFTY YEARS AGO.

So I ask you, why are current day African Americans so prone to drugs, and gangs and crime and killing each other?

There is significant positive discrimination. Work hard and it is much easier for an African American to get into Harvard than a white of the same intelligence.

Because there is this glorying in victim hood, that is why. This playing on white guilt and production of the race card.

The world is a tough place, and compared to black people in most parts of it, African Americans are in a great position.. The American Dream is there for anyone, black or white. And ironically Beyonce herself, the source of this thread is living it.
Original post by JezWeCan!

The American slaves were freed in 1865. That is more than ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY years ago.

Now you point to the black codes and Jim Crow provisions. They only applied to the former Confederacy, so any African American in three quarters of the US was not subject to them, and those in the South could freely move to a former non slave State at any time And many did.

So I ask you, why are current day African Americans so prone to drugs, and gangs and crime and killing each other?

There is significant positive discrimination. Work hard and it is much easier for an African American to get into Harvard than a white of the same intelligence.

Because there is this glorying in victim hood, that is why. This playing on white guilt and production of the race card.

The world is a tough place, and compared to black people in most parts of it, African Americans are in a great position.. The American Dream is there for anyone, black or white. And ironically Beyonce herself, the source of this thread is living it.

Are you stupid? you've decided to see only what you want to see and dont deserve my attention this evening.
Original post by Drummerz
Are you stupid? you've decided to see only what you want to see and dont deserve my attention this evening.

No, I am not stupid. I suspect I am brighter than you as it goes. :smile:
Original post by JezWeCan!

Well put.
Funny thing is your preaching to the choir, nobody is in here defending criminals at all. The lot of you are just refusing to acknowledge how history can shape the present which is what sparked this whole argument and nobody in their right mind is comparing the jimmy crow era with the atlantic slave trade either. Yes black americans could always be doing better but dont downplay anybodies plight especially if you you have not been through any of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Delilah234
I'm sorry, should they have stood around and watched whilst their family members were attacked? You keep referring to 'the actions of the black panthers'. Two or three bad apples should never be used to completely write off a group of people banding together for a cause. For example, Christians and Crusades. At the time, maybe the only way to gain attention for their cause was through violence. Within the Black Lives Matter movement, there are some violent protesters. It is understandable but not acceptable. However the majority of the movement are peaceful in their dealings with the police.

I haven't read the entire thread (yet), but you may very well be the only person with common sense in this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending