The Student Room Group

Beyonce Homage to Black Panthers

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was fairly disturbed by that too. It is odd to conflate the Black Lives Matter campaign with something like the Black Panthers in the way she did as well. The latter were a segregationist organisation that believed Black people could not mix with whites. Whereas the former movement seems all about bringing about a more equal society. The BP were extremely nationalist, either Beyonce is a bit of a racist, or more likely had little to no understanding of the group she was paying homage to.
Perhaps Adele will dress up as a member of the Black Hand Gang ? :holmes:
Beyonce is a racist, talentless ugly swine.

What's new?
Reply 4
No because they're Black they aren't called terrorists

Black power, will forever be acceptable

They just turned Whites into pansy cuckolds and you can't do anything about it, without being racist

That is just the way it is

Look at South Africa and what they're doing to Whites there. The media cover up the Boer genocide but the government have done nothing to stop it, and in some cases promoted Boer genocide.

South Africa was nothing until Whites went there. When Whites colonized they bought agriculture medicine that led to the Black population exploding. Then the communists came about with let us in power or die.
(edited 8 years ago)
I, personally, thought Beyonce did a great job in making her statement the way she did. Yes, The Black Panthers might have had several members who strayed from the main ideology but there are*two sides to every coin. The Black Panthers were created as a response to what the founding members felt as the oppression of the African American community in their time. The Black Lives Matter was created to raise awareness about the issues surrounding police brutality and young African American men. The two movements still have the same message at their core, raising awareness for issues they find themselves faced with. No, Beyonce is not a racist. If you didn't understand her message then fair enough maybe it did not apply to you. However to take a create a statement the way she did and to do it in such a publicised manner took a lot of guts.
Original post by Delilah234
The Black Panthers were created as a response to what the founding members felt as the oppression of the African American community in their time.
The same way the western oppression of muslims justifies suicide attacks?
No, it in no way justifies it.
Then tell me how the oppression of blacks in the US justified the actions of the black panthers
I'm sorry, should they have stood around and watched whilst their family members were attacked? You keep referring to 'the actions of the black panthers'. Two or three bad apples should never be used to completely write off a group of people banding together for a cause. For example, Christians and Crusades. At the time, maybe the only way to gain attention for their cause was through violence. Within the Black Lives Matter movement, there are some violent protesters. It is understandable but not acceptable. However the majority of the movement are peaceful in their dealings with the police.
Please explain how the black panthers actions were justified, and Islamist suicide bombers actions are not justified - if you are not aware, jihadis have precisely the same arguments for their own actions, and yet you say "of course their actions aren't justified"I'm talking about the black panthers, not black lives matter
It is childish to think that they could have succeeded without any threat of violence. Different times. Now, in this century, it is completely reasonable to think that you could achieve a statement of that sort without violence. The jihadis do not in any way have the same argument for their actions.
Well, you can't really accomplish anything in the middle east without violence. So I guess Jihadis are justified after all, at least in the middle east.
Are we talking about the black panthers, the jihadis or just violence in general? You created the post about the black panthers. Stick to the topic.
You say black panthers' violence was justified, and gave the same arguments that jihadis sympathisers giveYou then say that 'of course' jihadis' violence is not justified, without giving any reasonsI am just confused how you can hold both these views at the same time
Original post by Gue$$ Who
Look at South Africa and what they're doing to Whites there. The media cover up the Boer genocide but the government have done nothing to stop it, and in some cases promoted Boer genocide.

South Africa was nothing until Whites went there. When Whites colonized they bought agriculture medicine that led to the Black population exploding. Then the communists came about with let us in power or die.

Didn't SA president Jacob Zuma sing "Kill the Boer" in 2012?

Regardless of whether this is true or not, its not the case in the US.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
The same way the western oppression of muslims justifies suicide attacks?

No, it in no way justifies it.
Then tell me how the oppression of blacks in the US justified the actions of the black panthers

I'm sorry, should they have stood around and watched whilst their family members were attacked? You keep referring to 'the actions of the black panthers'. Two or three bad apples should never be used to completely write off a group of people banding together for a cause. For example, Christians and Crusades. At the time, maybe the only way to gain attention for their cause was through violence. Within the Black Lives Matter movement, there are some violent protesters. It is understandable but not acceptable. However the majority of the movement are peaceful in their dealings with the police.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Go look up the 'no true scotsman' fallacy. Please do some research about the Black Panthers.

At the moment you are sympathising with terrorists; which I assume you do not in actuality. You are literally advocating violence as an acceptable response to perceived oppression; I guess I can go smack my supervisor because I believe his treatment of a colleague in unjust, right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Go look up the 'no true scotsman' fallacy. Please do some research about the Black Panthers.

At the moment you are sympathising with terrorists; which I assume you do not in actuality. You are literally advocating violence as an acceptable response to perceived oppression, I guess I can go smack my supervisor because I believe his treatment of a colleague in unjust, right?

I am not in any way sympathising with terrorists. I have done research on the Black Panthers and I do know what I'm talking about. My point is that just because a few of the black panthers were violent does not take away from the founding idea behind their cause. The cause that the majority of their members believed in.
I am not in any way sympathising with terrorists. I have done research on the Black Panthers and I do know what I'm talking about. My point is that just because a few of the black panthers were violent does not take away from the founding idea behind their cause. The cause that the majority of their members believed in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Please. I'm not even going to respond to such a well known fallacy.
Please explain how the black panthers actions were justified, and Islamist suicide bombers actions are not justified - if you are not aware, jihadis have precisely the same arguments for their own actions, and yet you say "of course their actions aren't justified"

I'm talking about the black panthers, not black lives matter

They got angry and some reacted in violent ways. Not all. It is understandable, they are humans with human emotions. However, I refuse to let you keep tarnishing the black panthers with the violent actions of a few of their members. The black panthers' core ideology was to challenge police brutality in Oakland. It is childish to think that they could have succeeded without any threat of violence. Different times. Now, in this century, it is completely reasonable to think that you could achieve a statement of that sort without violence. The jihadis do not in any way have the same argument for their actions. They oppose Western views and interference and God knows what else their agendas are. Don't compare the black panthers and the jihadis, two completely different causes.
Original post by RollerBall
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Please. I'm not even going to respond to such a well known fallacy.

Okay :smile:
They got angry and some reacted in violent ways. Not all. It is understandable, they are humans with human emotions.

Disgusting terrorist apologia.
Well, you can't really accomplish anything in the middle east without violence. So I guess Jihadis are justified after all, at least in the middle east.

Are we talking about the black panthers, the jihadis or just violence in general? You created the post about the black panthers. Stick to the topic.
Original post by walking in glass
Disgusting terrorist apologia.

Okay :s-smilie:
TSR yet again gives me the impression that the only acceptable form of resistance against a discriminatory, repressive and inherently violent regime is a Ghandi-like pacifism. Anything else must be immediately denounced as terrorism.

Out there in the real world, things are more complex....
Reply 18
who cares about Beyonce? She's just a booty shaking bimbo
Original post by Quantex
TSR yet again gives me the impression that the only acceptable form of resistance against a discriminatory, repressive and inherently violent regime is a Ghandi-like pacifism. Anything else must be immediately denounced as terrorism.

Out there in the real world, things are more complex....

Certain types of action, e.g. strikes, protests, perhaps even riots, are sometimes justified, not gunfights with police, torture killings, assassinations, mass rape, ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending