The Student Room Group

Dsa fees

My dsa application has been approved after months of applications ans phone calls. Student finance do not make anything easy.

I started my course in september 2014. I started to apply for dsa soon after but had issues providing evidence.

I finally got evidence after months of trying late last year. My assesor said i shouldnt have to pay the fee due to this.

But now they want me to put £200 and they will put £95 towards a laptop. Which is quite frustrating as i know i could buy a better laptop than they are providing second hand for less than £200.

Is there anyway they would change this fee? Ive not got £200 to spend untill my next student loan anyway.
And how flexible are they with you shopping around for a computer on a highstreet / online retailer such as amazon. Being student finance i doubt its smooth or simple.

Thanks
The laptop they give you is brand new.
Original post by Glub
My dsa application has been approved after months of applications ans phone calls. Student finance do not make anything easy.

I started my course in september 2014. I started to apply for dsa soon after but had issues providing evidence.

I finally got evidence after months of trying late last year. My assesor said i shouldnt have to pay the fee due to this.

But now they want me to put £200 and they will put £95 towards a laptop. Which is quite frustrating as i know i could buy a better laptop than they are providing second hand for less than £200.

Is there anyway they would change this fee? Ive not got £200 to spend untill my next student loan anyway.
And how flexible are they with you shopping around for a computer on a highstreet / online retailer such as amazon. Being student finance i doubt its smooth or simple.

Thanks

The £200 is standard for all on DSA. If you don't want to spend that much then you are welcome to buy one from the highstreet for less than that but you will obviously still pay the full price yourself.
Original post by Glub

Thanks

Sadly they won't change it as it's from when your DSA was approved (Last last year) not when you applied. The £200 is standard now anyway.

It's alot smoother than you think. I made the decision to upgrade to a mac buying directly through Apple. You just have to contact them and tell them what laptop you want, then they respond saying if its okay or not. They then contact the supplier to get a revised quote (IF you get anything else such as a printer, pen, ect.) Once you have purchased the laptop and any software has been successfully installed on it, then you send them the reciept and they reimburse £95.

Also the laptop will be new not second hand but it may be an older model (For example when i tried to upgrade through my supplier they offered me a 2014 model instead of the new one)

Quick Reply

Latest