The Student Room Group

would you be annoyed if a guy made you pay for your drink

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lllllllllll
so I just asked this girl out for a drink and I'm seeing her tomorrow. Problem is I'm too broke to buy a drink, should I just get her to pay for it herself

Honestly I wouldn't wait for the guy to pay for mine. It isn't an expectation but a kind gesture that's all. If you aren't in the position to pay then pay seperately. I wouldn't see an issue with that personally. You could make up for it next time when you are able to do so.
If you invite me out then then yes I will pay for my drink but I'm sure not paying for yours. I'm only paying for yours if I asked you out.
Reply 42
Original post by BlackSweetness
I dont bash anyone..
I just dont approve

May I remind you of the great 'Would you replace the homosexual gene in your child if given the choice' thread
No... I'm drinking it, I should pay.
Original post by Kalail
May I remind you of the great 'Would you replace the homosexual gene in your child if given the choice' thread

Remind me.:
I didnt bash anyone, like i said i just dont approve! Are people not aloud to have an opinion?
Reply 45
Remind me.:
I didnt bash anyone, like i said i just dont approve! Are people not aloud to have an opinion?

Not if it is Racist, homophobic, islamaphobic or discriminative. May I remind you of the 'Gay people are nit real men' debate
Original post by monica555
Honestly I wouldn't wait for the guy to pay for mine. It isn't an expectation but a kind gesture that's all. If you aren't in the position to pay then pay seperately. I wouldn't see an issue with that personally. You could make up for it next time when you are able to do so.

Why does he have any responsibility to 'make up for it'? He wouldn't have anything to make up for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kalail
Not if it is Racist, homophobic, islamaphobic or discriminative. May I remind you of the 'Gay people are nit real men' debate

I never said that to be insulting, i said that because some would say a "real" man, is hetrosexual.
Reply 48
I never said that to be insulting, i said that because some would say a "real" man, is hetrosexual.

No, you said, and I also point you to the 'What is the definition of a real man?' thread, that gay men were not real men
Original post by Kalail
No, you said, and I also point you to the 'What is the definition of a real man?' thread, that gay men were not real men

Like i iterated before, most would say a real man is a hetrosexual man,
If you had half a brain you would realise this would also mean, non hetrosexual men were not ......
Reply 50
Like i iterated before, most would say a real man is a hetrosexual man,
If you had half a brain you would realise this would also mean, non hetrosexual men were not ......

The definition you gave was ' a straight man'. Leading onto a conversation about Donald trump
Original post by blah3210
Here's an interesting post from another forum:

I skimmed the full article.

Women should run far, far, away from ANY male who refuses to take care of her the way she wants to be taken care of. That varies from woman to woman, but if the guy isn't doing your bare minimum, he should be off your radar.

And IMO all women should seek out guys who can do for them gladly, cheerfully, and willingly, whether it's financially, romantically, materialistically, or whatever. You can do bad by your damn self.

Women are treasures, and if a male is LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET WITH ONE, he needs to do whatever he can do to keep her happy and satisfied with him.

I'll take it even further and say don't just look for a guy who meets your requirements. Look for one who goes the extra mile and exceeds said requirements. Sorry-ass dudes deserve to stay single. Why reward them with your presence in a relationship--your time, your body, and your female energy?

Source

This article made me feel sick. If you run into a woman like the one described above, be sure to run far, far away. Good grief, can you believe its 2016?
Reply 52
No, I would actually prefer paying for my own drink at all times :smile:
If you're so broke you can't afford to spend a fiver on two coffees then you shouldn't be going for coffee. That just looks like bad money management to me.
I think it's stupid that girls expect to be paid for on dates and quite sexist to assume the man will just to be "gentlemanly". I'd much rather pay for myself.
Original post by Quillelizabeth
This article made me feel sick. If you run into a woman like the one described above, be sure to run far, far away. Good grief, can you believe its 2016?

You shouldn't run into her, she's so traditional she probably won't stray too far outside of the kitchen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Why does he have any responsibility to 'make up for it'? He wouldn't have anything to make up for

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mean it as in he had something to make up for. I just meant that if he's unsure on what to do, which he clearly is as he posted about it, that there would be another time where he could offer to buy drinks so he doesn't need to feel uncomfortable or annoyed about it. Not that he has to pay, geez it's just a nice gesture, not a responsibility calm down. Same goes for girls, I've bought a guy drinks before, no big deal.
Original post by monica555
I didn't mean it as in he had something to make up for. I just meant that if he's unsure on what to do, which he clearly is as he posted about it, that there would be another time where he could offer to buy drinks so he doesn't need to feel uncomfortable or annoyed about it. Not that he has to pay, geez it's just a nice gesture, not a responsibility calm down. Same goes for girls, I've bought a guy drinks before, no big deal.

I don't know how you've decided I'm sitting incredulously behind my computer screen. Considering the number of women that still think men are duty bound to pay for dates it's hardly unreasonable for me to think you may be one of those people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I don't know how you've decided I'm sitting incredulously behind my computer screen. Considering the number of women that still think men are duty bound to pay for dates it's hardly unreasonable for me to think you may be one of those people

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct, men aren't duty bound to pay for dates. Totally agree, and I thought that I had got this point across with my original post at the start but apparently not. I apologise if it somehow implied the contrary.
(edited 8 years ago)
I gotta be honest it would be somewhat off-putting to me if you invited me for coffee then asked me to pay for my own. I totally understand and respect your situation. We've all been in situations where we're financial tight. Maybe you should be honest with her and tell her your tight on funds right now and ask her to meet for a walk in the park. Then if she offers to meet for coffee anyway and pay her way - fine. But, if I'm invited by you I expect you to treat at least the first couple of times. Then I'll offer and I'll pay. Then if I get into a dating situation where we're just hanging out together anyway then paying for my own just becomes more natural. But, for me, early on.... whoever invites pays. If you can't pay invite her to do something that doesn't cost anything. Well, that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending