The Student Room Group

Fp1 argand diagram

Need help with this question.

Basically how do you sketch |z+1|=|z+i|.
Then it says write down the complex numbers represented by the points of intersection of |z-2i|=2 and the one I need help with.
I know what |z-2i|=2 looks like but not sure about the other one.
Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Super199

Then it says write down the complex numbers represented by the points of intersection of |z-2i|=2 and the one I need help with.
Cheers

let z = x + iy
This is FP1? :redface:
Reply 3

Cheers

That says: the distance between z and 1 is the same as the distance between z and i. Can you think of what that would look like? *coughs* perp. bisector *cough*

Original post by Student403
This is FP1? :redface:

This is C3 in CIE. :lol:
Reply 4

Cheers

This is a standard form for a certain kind of loci. Maybe you could even try seeing what it maps to on a cartesian plane using algebra like TeeEm suggested?
Reply 5
Transform complex plane to Cartesian an plane. You could then find Cartesian equation of the line and circle and go from there.
There may be a much simpler method but I haven't looked at it at all really.
Original post by Zacken
That says: the distance between z and 1 is the same as the distance between z and i. Can you think of what that would look like? *coughs* perp. bisector *cough*

probably foundation level GCSE in Hong Kong
Original post by Zacken

Original post by the bear
probably foundation level GCSE in Hong Kong

LOL
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
That says: the distance between z and 1 is the same as the distance between z and i. Can you think of what that would look like? *coughs* perp.

Sound. Now how do i solve this thing
Reply 9

To find the intersections, you'd be best solving it algebraiclly:

You have a circle centre (0, 2) (I think, modify if not) and radius sqrt(2), so:

x^2 + (y-2)^2 = 2

Now find the equation of the perp bisector of 1 and i in cartesian form and plug it into the above equation, find x and y and then your complex numbers will be x + iy
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
To find the intersections, you'd be best solving it algebraiclly:

You have a circle centre (0, 2) (I think, modify if not) and radius sqrt(2), so:

x^2 + (y-2)^2 = 2

Now find the equation of the perp bisector of 1 and i in cartesian form and plug it into the above equation, find x and y and then your complex numbers will be x + iy

Isnt the radius 2?
Reply 11

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \[\left | z+1 \right | = \left | z +i \right | \\ \left | x+iy +1 \right | = \left | x+ iy +i \right | \\ \left | (x+1) +iy \right |=\left | x +i(y+1) \right |\]

See if you can work from here

Edit: you'll find a cartesian eqn for both the line and the circle and it's just simple coordinate geometry from there
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Isnt the radius 2?

Yep, apologies.
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Yep, apologies.

Right got it. Do you mind helping me with another question fp2 reduction formulae i dont really get the topic tbh.
Reply 14
Right got it. Do you mind helping me with another question fp2 reduction formulae i dont really get the topic tbh.

Sure thing, post a new thread and tag me?
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
Sure thing, post a new thread and tag me?

Do you know any sites where I can upload a pic and then link you the pic? It wont let me upload it on tsr and i cba to type out my workings.
Reply 16
Do you know any sites where I can upload a pic and then link you the pic? It wont let me upload it on tsr and i cba to type out my workings.

http://imgur.com/ this usually works
Reply 17

Any luck?
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Any luck?

Sorry went to eat lol
Yh 5a if you dont mind.
http://m.imgur.com/weEfm9d,GjHgoxr
Reply 19
Sorry went to eat lol
Yh 5a if you dont mind.
http://m.imgur.com/weEfm9d,GjHgoxr

You're doing a definite integral, so your uv is

[uv]01=0\displaystyle \bigg[uv\bigg]_0^1 = 0 which is conveniently 0.

Now you have In=2n301xn1(1x)3/2=2n301xn1(1x)1/2(1x)2\displaystyle I_n = \frac{2n}{3} \int_0^{1} x^{n-1} (1-x)^{3/2} = \frac{2n}{3} \int_0^1 x^{n-1} (1-x)^{1/2} (1-x)^2 see if you can work with that? I'm going for dinner, horrid timing, so I might not be able to reply right away.

Quick Reply

Latest