The Student Room Group

A career change @ 29!

Hi.....I am at a severe cross roads in my life. I'm at a point where I've just turned 29....and I do not like the job I am currently in. I know I want a career change...so following some research, I've discovered that apprenticeships are available to over 25's now.

One thing I've realised is that the office job life is not for me. I've been a part of that for a long time and it's so tedious and mediocre. I need something technical, physical, and active. Alongside that I want to learn skills. I was wondering if there is anybody in a similar situation?

I am lucky enough to be at this age, and not have the commitments others may have such as a mortgage and children...so I'm thinking the time is right before I make any of these sacrifices....

I am thinking I would like to work towards an licensed aircraft engineer...but I'm a little too worried I'm too late :/
Original post by starks87
Hi.....I am at a severe cross roads in my life. I'm at a point where I've just turned 29....and I do not like the job I am currently in. I know I want a career change...so following some research, I've discovered that apprenticeships are available to over 25's now.

One thing I've realised is that the office job life is not for me. I've been a part of that for a long time and it's so tedious and mediocre. I need something technical, physical, and active. Alongside that I want to learn skills. I was wondering if there is anybody in a similar situation?

I am lucky enough to be at this age, and not have the commitments others may have such as a mortgage and children...so I'm thinking the time is right before I make any of these sacrifices....

I am thinking I would like to work towards an licensed aircraft engineer...but I'm a little too worried I'm too late :/

If you have a degree you wont be able to do an apprenticeship. Also even though they are available to over 25s employers prefer to higher under 21s...why?... because they can legally pay them half of what they legally can older people. Sorry to sound negative I just want you to be aware of this..if you haven't been to uni possibly get onto a degree, if its airecraft engineering you will need a degree or apprenticeship I doubt there's another route in. I agree what you mean about office jobs though.. I'm 26 and work in an office environment and its already taking its toll on me after only a few months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Incorrect. You can do an apprenticeship at any age. You're just not eligible for government funded ones. You can also do one having completed a degree.
I started an apprenticeship aged 27 having already completed a degree. They are out there and are not as rare as you think. i can think of three or four.
Reply 3
I am in the exact same situation (bar I'm 25 not 29) but I'm finding it impossible to get anything. They say it's open to all ages but I think that's a lot of bull. Spoke to a QA apprenticeship adviser who told me to 'google what employers are willing to fund an apprenticeship' which is basically like finding a needle in a haystack. Not to mention he couldn't even spell and here's me trying SO HARD to get onto a career path. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong / could do better? The next worst bit is none of these places give any kind of feedback. So many problems with this system.
Reply 4
The ones I know of are Ogtap/ecitb/INEOS/schlumberger. All oil and gas technician apprenticeships with no age limit. Network rail and British Gas smart meter apprenticeships are no age limit too. You do really have to sell yourself because an older apprentice is somewhat or a risk to employers.
Original post by kenny222
Incorrect. You can do an apprenticeship at any age. You're just not eligible for government funded ones. You can also do one having completed a degree.
I started an apprenticeship aged 27 having already completed a degree. They are out there and are not as rare as you think. i can think of three or four.

All you've done is stated what the internet says, I'm talking reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Me too. As someone who changed career at 27 and started an apprenticeship whilst holding a degree in something different. It's okay to be wrong but don't act like a spoiled brat about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending