The Student Room Group

How do you feel about the portrayal of mental illnesses in the film industry?

HI,

for my EPQ i would really like to look into the portrayal of mental illnesses in the film industry, i was wondering what your thoughts were. have you watched any movies that portray mental illnesses well? or are they mostly exaggerated?

thanks
members of the psychopathic behavior community are often used as villains in thrillers ?

Dr Lecter for example ?
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
members of the psychopathic behavior community are often used as villains in thrillers ?

Dr Lecter for example ?

yeah i agree with that - nightmare on elm street is one too! I need to check that movie out
then there is The Madness of King George...
Reply 4
then there is The Madness of King George...

i think my EPQ is calling for a movie night
Dead Man's Shoes portrays a mentally handicapped young man up north somewhere very well. He is murdered and his brother slays the perpetrators one by one ?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/oct/03/philipfrench
Reply 8
Dead Man's Shoes portrays a mentally handicapped young man up north somewhere very well. He is murdered and his brother slays the perpetrators one by one ?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/oct/03/philipfrench

sounds good - i need to look at movies that show it good too! have you watched 50 first dates?
Original post by sumaiyah101
sounds good - i need to look at movies that show it good too! have you watched 50 first dates?

No... is it American ?
Most of the time they're stigmatising as hell.

But I enjoyed Welcome to Me though. It's not perfect but it felt like a good way of showing how BPD affects a person and those that love them without making it seem like a bad thing or that Alice wanted to hurt her friends and family and that they shouldn't keep in contact with her.
Reply 11
No... is it American ?

yep - drew barrymore has anterograde amnesia, its pretty good - apart from some huge misconceptions
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Most of the time they're stigmatising as hell.

But I enjoyed Welcome to Me though. It's not perfect but it felt like a good way of showing how BPD affects a person and those that love them without making it seem like a bad thing or that Alice wanted to hurt her friends and family and that they shouldn't keep in contact with her.

THANKS!! ill have a quick look
Original post by sumaiyah101
HI,

for my EPQ i would really like to look into the portrayal of mental illnesses in the film industry, i was wondering what your thoughts were. have you watched any movies that portray mental illnesses well? or are they mostly exaggerated?

thanks

the movie secret cutting/painful secrets portrays the act of depression and self harm as a whole in a very exaggerated way. Whereas in prozac nation I feel like the portrayal of depression is quite accurate and very well portrayed - I would recommend watching this if you want to see an accurate representation of depression and how an individual with this mental illness functions.
A Beautiful Mind got some praise for it's depiction of schizophrenic hallucinations ... but also angered some people who thought it was perpetuating a misunderstanding that schizophrenics were able to 'fight' the illness if they were 'strong' enough.

Quick Reply

Latest