The Student Room Group

Can you teach yourself coding to a good standard?

Dear all Computing genii

I would love to be able to make silly mods and the like for games such as Skyrim and the Dark Souls series but I wouldn't know where to even begin to start as I cannot write one line of code from memory.

Is it possible to teach yourself programming languages and if so where would you start? I don't really want to go to university to study it because I'm planning to study med chem with aim of studying graduate medicine and none of my a-levels are relevant to programming in any case.

Is it true you need a-level maths to be good at it?

All help appreciated

Sincerely

ARH
Yes, loads of good programmers are self-taught.

Takes time and dedication though. No you don't need A-level math. But you do need your brain to be able to work in an abstract and logical fashion.
Original post by frankieboy
Yes, loads of good programmers are self-taught.

Takes time and dedication though. No you don't need A-level math. But you do need your brain to be able to work in an abstract and logical fashion.

Really? I thought studying it at uni was the way to go

Do you know any good learning resources?
https://www.codecademy.com/learn

Used by millions. It's great.
Which language are you hoping to learn?

SS
Original post by Supersaps
Which language are you hoping to learn?

SS

I'm not quite sure, whichever one codes for graphics in the games I mentioned above? I'm sorry; that's probably very vague but this is what I'm talking about; I'm completely clueless when it comes to matters of programming. I've wrote a few lines of Python and that's the extent of my knowledge haha
Python is pretty sweet. Very flexible and a great starting language as it's fairly descriptive.

I don't believe you need programming skills to mod in most games. They normally have some sort of program that lets you create mods.
Original post by Supersaps
Python is pretty sweet. Very flexible and a great starting language as it's fairly descriptive.

I don't believe you need programming skills to mod in most games. They normally have some sort of program that lets you create mods.

What if I wanted to create my own character models or creatures for a mod, though? Wouldn't I need to know how to make it from scratch?
Original post by AngryRedhead
I'm not quite sure, whichever one codes for graphics in the games I mentioned above? I'm sorry; that's probably very vague but this is what I'm talking about; I'm completely clueless when it comes to matters of programming. I've wrote a few lines of Python and that's the extent of my knowledge haha

Some kind of Papyrus. Although the creation kit is pretty frustrating.
The Creation kit is restrictive when it comes to altering creature skeletons or animations. But I do think you can add new characters/creatures & change up models & textures without scripting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
You would need to look at modelling.

Check out blender - free software.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If want to make quality character models, prepare for at least several years of highly focused dedication. In terms of programming, it's arguably best to learn on your own, you'll be doing enough of that anyway if you plan to be good/great..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XOR_
If want to make quality characters models, prepare for at least several years of highly focused dedication. In terms of programming, it's arguably best to learn on your own, you'll be doing enough of that anyway if you plan to be good/great..

What languages should I learn, though?
Original post by XOR_
c-sharp then c++ for games.

Thank you :smile:
Did CS at uni went to about 3 lectures in 3 years, most of the stuff you learn will be in your own time.
Reply 14
http://www.programmr.com/ Not so much for learning languages but if you want some begginner project ideas to test how your doing it can be useful
Hi!

Of course! Many of the most competent programmers/coders are self-taught anyway. Being taught academically is often a huge drag because the course will always be a few years out of touch with the trends. All you need to do is use some of the sites mentioned above and you'll soon be on your way! You're your own boss! :h: Good luck and you can always PM me if you need any help! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending