The Student Room Group

What's The Point Of Friendship?

Does anyone else feel like friendship is so temporary there is not point even trying? What's the point of buying my friend a birthday present when in two years (maybe less) we probably won't be in contact?

I just don't see the point...

Scroll to see replies

Fellow human companionship, love and support?
Someone to have a laugh at...
Make fun of other people with...
Insult with...
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else feel like friendship is so temporary there is not point even trying? What's the point of buying my friend a birthday present when in two years (maybe less) we probably won't be in contact?

I see you're irritated because you didn't get your birthday gift?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987
Fellow human companionship, love and support?

It's not real though is it. My 'friends' can be nice to each other face to face, but will bitch about each other when they're gone.

You'll need a bit on company if you feel down? and someone to make you laugh..though I agree it kind of pointless having someone that you believe after 1/2 years you won't stay in contact with! At least have one close friend that you are sure you'll stay in contact with.. :smile:
It's not real though is it. My 'friends' can be nice to each other face to face, but will bitch about each other when they're gone.

Most friends aren't like that and everyone needs to let off steam if someone has annoyed them
Reply 7
Original post by Impressive
I see you're irritated because you didn't get your birthday gift?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My birthday is in July so...

Original post by homeland.lsw
Someone to have a laugh at...
Make fun of other people with...
Insult with...

They just end up laughing at each other, not with each other
Reply 8
Original post by Blondie987
Most friends aren't like that and everyone needs to let off steam if someone has annoyed them

I guess I'm just surrounded by the wrong people then...

Original post by LemonadeAspire
You'll need a bit on company if you feel down? and someone to make you laugh..though I agree it kind of pointless having someone that you believe after 1/2 years you won't stay in contact with! At least have one close friend that you are sure you'll stay in contact with.. :smile:

Good point :smile:

They just end up laughing at each other, not with each other

Well friends can help you get through tough times (well real friends would) but also I agree with @Blondie987's first post...
You need to have some human contact...spend a tenner buying them the gift a) It's the polite thing to do and b) you will feel good about it!
Utility or pleasure
Reply 11
Haha op has nae pals
If your "friends" are nice to you but rall about you behind your back then they're not really your friends. And we all need friendship, they are there to have fun with and good times :smile:

Oh, I see, you've mentioned it like it was the main cause.

By the way, I would stop this 'friendship'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your friends, even though they tend to be temporary, greatly influence how you act and they can even play a role in shaping your personality. You can learn a lot from your friends and even those that are around you, as well as your friends being able to learn things about you. Buying someone a birthday present is to make them feel good about themselves, it's an act to show you're happy that they're basically alive even if you don't end up being 'friends forever'. Your gift to them doesn't lose its worth as soon as you aren't friends anymore, they might have really appreciated it or they might not have at all but that's besides the point because that's just how life goes; friends come and go.
Maybe you feel like friendships are pointless because you haven't met anyone you consider to be a good friend yet or maybe you have had a really good friend but you aren't friends anymore and that's caused you to see it as pointless? I'm just assuming though :smile:
Human beings are social beings, and I understand what you mean when you look at life through that perspective but life is a journey NOT a destination.

What this means is you do it because it's part of living; you're not rushing to get to an end destination because we all know what the end destination of life is...

What's the point of making your bed in the morning when you'll undo it again later that evening?

What the point in washing yourself and brushing your teeth when you're going to dirty them again?

What's the point in going outside when I have to come home later?

What's the point in making friends when friendship is temporary and people are always being replaced every few years or so.. ?

See where this is going?
Original post by RomanKing
Human beings are social beings, and I understand what you mean when you look at life through that perspective but life is a journey NOT a destination.

What this means is you do it because it's part of living; you're not rushing to get to an end destination because we all know what the end destination of life is...

What's the point of making your bed in the morning when you'll undo it again later that evening?

What the point in washing yourself and brushing your teeth when you're going to dirty them again?

What's the point in making friends when friendship is temporary and people are always being replaced every few years or so.. ?

See where this is going?

Wise.

:adore:
Original post by stefano865
Wise.

:adore:

I'm a philosopher and learner of great mystics.

:smile:
Original post by RomanKing

See where this is going?

Yeah: what's the point of life?

Original post by jessicasulty
Your friends, even though they tend to be temporary, greatly influence how you act and they can even play a role in shaping your personality. You can learn a lot from your friends and even those that are around you, as well as your friends being able to learn things about you. Buying someone a birthday present is to make them feel good about themselves, it's an act to show you're happy that they're basically alive even if you don't end up being 'friends forever'. Your gift to them doesn't lose its worth as soon as you aren't friends anymore, they might have really appreciated it or they might not have at all but that's besides the point because that's just how life goes; friends come and go.
Maybe you feel like friendships are pointless because you haven't met anyone you consider to be a good friend yet or maybe you have had a really good friend but you aren't friends anymore and that's caused you to see it as pointless? I'm just assuming though :smile:

You assume correctly.
Yeah: what's the point of life?

Now we're getting to the core of your question...

For the sake of lots of writing; the purpose or point of life subjectively is down to what you believe in anyway. Things such as religion help people with that; religion is a form of hope and purpose.

But when we generally speak the point of your life is just to live...
That's it.

The purpose of life is to live.

Now, whether you feel okay and content knowing that or not is another thing.
If you're depressed about how meaningless this life may seem to you for multiple reasons then you need to adjust yourself to appreciate it for what it is in whatever way possible such as making good friends(this is one of the best ways because like i mentioned, we're social beings and your close surroundings influence how you feel tremendously), travelling etc. You need to find your purpose in this life.

Regardless of what it is that you do in your life we're all living the same experience...

Look at this photo from the International Space Station

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAxqXQqevKAhUD7xQKHROmAUoQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFG0fTKAqZ5g&bvm=bv.113943665,d.d24&psig=AFQjCNEWiKm_p0ZHbl4CXv2nM92R-acBlQ&ust=1455129377439384

Please also look at this photo from the Voyager 1
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjenbz3qevKAhUFVRQKHTylBe8QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsciencetech%2Farticle-2196997%2FVoyager-1-beams-images-Earth-tiny-dot-prepares-interstellar-space.html&psig=AFQjCNEXJ6ObuYbwbVJx1IQPESNryLvzKQ&ust=1455129487225211

Always look at life from a 'birds eye perspective' or 'top down' perspective.
Look down onto yourself in order to uplift yourself.

Ask me anything else if you're confused.
Also, the words I write to you will not magically better you overnight I'm merely a guide guiding you into the light you have to walk... :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending