The Student Room Group

Choosing A-levels, can't decide between AS further maths or politics

I'm choosing my A-levels soon, and i can't seem to decide what to do, as every time I think of a good combination, I think of something else which would be more suitable. :confused:

Basically, I'm wanting to do Computer Science at uni - aiming for Imperial College London - would this be a good combo: Maths (non-reformed), Physics (reformed)
History (reformed sadly), and Politics (non-reformed); the last two I'm doing because I'd enjoy them and i'd most likely drop politics at the end of year 12.

But because I want to go into computer science, would it make a lot more sense to do further maths AS and drop it? Or would that be a waste if no uni cares about only an AS in it??
For computer science at Imperial you would need:

Computing, further mathematics, mathematics and physics.

I get you would be interested in computing for the technological age we live in but there are so many ways to get into this area than just straight computer science.

What do you want to do with a degree in computer science?
Further Maths
Reply 3
Do Further Maths than Politics.
It is rightly.
Further Maths, no doubt.
100% further maths for computer science, it is a 'preferred' subject for many top courses, unlike politics which I assume they would think is a soft subject
From Imperial's website, for the BEng Computing degree: 'We strongly encourage applicants to take Further Maths at A2 or AS level. If your school offers Further Maths, we expect you to take it'
It all matters on yourself :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by null_geodesic
It is rightly.

Government and Politics, while isn't facilitating, isn't regarded as a soft option and provides very effective preparation for a wide range of degrees. It's like economics - it isn't a facilitating subjects but it's still a traditional subject which is well respected.

(obviously though I recommend this guy to do FM because that's way more relevant than politics)

The following A-level subjects are regarded as soft by both Cambridge and LSE:

Any Applied A level, Accounting, Art and Design, Business Studies, Citizenship Studies, Communication and Culture, Creative Writing, Critical Thinking, Design and Technology, Drama/Theatre Studies, Film Studies, General Studies, Health and Social Care, Home Economics, Information and Communication Technology, Law, Leisure Studies, Media Studies, Music Technology, Physical Education/Sports studies, Photography and Travel and Tourism
Original post by jamestg
Government and Politics, while isn't facilitating, isn't regarded as a soft option and provides very effective preparation for a wide range of degrees. It's like economics - it isn't a facilitating subjects but it's still a traditional subject which is well respected.

It isn't particularly well respected and it is NOT a traditional subject. When I was growing up it didn't even exist.

Traditional subjects are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, history, english, modern languages, latin, geography and the like. Trinity College, Cambridge have Govt. & Politics on the less suitable list along with Psychology and Media Studies.
It isn't particularly well respected and it is NOT a traditional subject. When I was growing up it didn't even exist.

Traditional subjects are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, history, english, modern languages, latin, geography and the like. Trinity College, Cambridge have Govt. & Politics on the less suitable list along with Psychology and Media Studies.

If it wasn't particularly well respected, we wouldn't have Oxford admission tutors coming into our school advocating politics because it provides a solid foundation for a wide variety of degrees and is a good subject to take. Also, I am in the 'Russell group of students' at my school, where they only accept people based on GCSE results and A-level choices - the teacher leading that group has seen hundreds of people get into top universities from our school, some with politics.

Less suitable doesn't mean soft though and you're still confusing yourself with facilitated subjects. Just because something is not facilitated, doesn't mean it isn't traditional.

If it didn't exist in your time, how come one of my grandparents (aged 80 this year) studied it at a prestigious grammar school?... How old are you?
Original post by jamestg

If it didn't exist in your time, how come one of my grandparents (aged 80 this year) studied it at a prestigious grammar school?... How old are you?

We are talking about A levels. It did not exist as an A level when I was a kid.
Original post by jamestg

Less suitable doesn't mean soft though and you're still confusing yourself with facilitated subjects. Just because something is not facilitated, doesn't mean it isn't traditional.

I am not confusing anything. But you sure as hell are. It's a third tier A level - often grouped with crap like Media Studies. It's not Photography or Critical Thinking level of rubbish but it's not much.

Funny why top universities for PPE do not want you to do G & P at A level. You can dance around this all you want - it is NOT a traditional academic A level and as such gets less respect from top universities. Sure Oxford Brookes will accept it but they'd accept an A level in Hamburgerology or Fart Studies.
Reply 14
Ah okay thank you, I'm doing further maths now at GCE level, and I wasn't sure if it was worth doing it at AS if only to drop it
I am not confusing anything. But you sure as hell are. It's a third tier A level - often grouped with crap like Media Studies. It's not Photography or Critical Thinking level of rubbish but it's not much.

Funny why top universities for PPE do not want you to do G & P at A level. You can dance around this all you want - it is NOT a traditional academic A level and as such gets less respect from top universities. Sure Oxford Brookes will accept it but they'd accept an A level in Hamburgerology or Fart Studies.

May I ask what you do as a career if you're so clued up? Clearly your provenance isn't any good and you're out of the loop. I'm fairly sure a current A-level student who has been given guidance from admission tutors, teachers who have been doing this for decades and past students is far more 'clued up'. I even advise people in Y11 at my school on their A-level choices, I have to be 'clued up'.

Where has a top university explicitly said (or even suggested) that they do not want politics? They state it is not a requirement, that is it.

Quick Reply