The Student Room Group

Law at Uni - Exam Revision

Sorry if this has been asked before!

Does anyone who is currently studying law or has studied a law degree have any advice on how to revise for law exams at uni?

I'm currently a first year and I am finding that the topics can be so broad that it is a little overwhelming, as you obviously cannot revise every minute detail of each topic. I was just looking for any advice people may have on knowing where to focus attention when revising/making revision notes for topics?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by anon123...
Sorry if this has been asked before!

Does anyone who is currently studying law or has studied a law degree have any advice on how to revise for law exams at uni?

I'm currently a first year and I am finding that the topics can be so broad that it is a little overwhelming, as you obviously cannot revise every minute detail of each topic. I was just looking for any advice people may have on knowing where to focus attention when revising/making revision notes for topics?

Thanks in advance!

You are correct - the topic has been well covered in posts in previous years and much of the advice boils down to two words - 'past papers'.

Get past papers from your library for the previous 4 - 6 years. These will allow you to identify the areas of each module which come up in exams year after year. You should also be able to see how your exams will be structured - is it 4 questions from 6, for example or 4 from 8? That should help you decide how many topics you need to cover in detail to be 'safe' in each exam. You are also correct, I think, in suggesting that you cannot cover every area of each module in detail so you need to be selective. (Check with tutors though for any possible changes to exam structure for the current year.)

The next stage is to use the questions from past papers to 'focus' your revision. Revision in a vacuum is not very productive so pick a couple of past questions on say formation of a contract and revise that subject with the aim of answering those questions. Although the actual question in your exam will have different facts and circumstances, many of the issues, principles, authorities etc will be the same. Many prior posters then advise actually sitting down and writing out the answers to those questions under exam timing - fairly good advice. You'll quickly realise what you really know and what you thought you knew when you start to write it out, and just how effective your revision is. Also good for finding out just how much or how little you can actually cover in a 30 or 45 minute answer.

Quick Reply

Latest