The Student Room Group

will having a maths GCSE be enough for the future?

thought i can take A-level maths but right now it seems too hard so i might not even go for it. I got A* at gcse maths, will that help me in any way in future jobs ? or do they disregard GCSEs altogether?

Scroll to see replies

If you want to work at a fast food restaurant then that will be enough.
It depends on the type of job obvs but most general grad schemes I've applied for/looked at merely specify a Maths GCSE grade.

Obviously this doesn't count for any numerical careers which I can't imagine you're that keen on.

It's better to do well in all your A Levels then take maths on and so badly in it.
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
If you want to work at a fast food restaurant then that will be enough.

Love being the CEO of mcdonalds <3

Original post by Ethereal World
It depends on the type of job obvs but most general grad schemes I've applied for/looked at merely specify a Maths GCSE grade.

Obviously this doesn't count for any numerical careers which I can't imagine you're that keen on.

It's better to do well in all your A Levels then take maths on and so badly in it.

I want to keep my options open by adding in a science/maths but i dont even fancy it at all. im more of the arts person. do you think i should choose all essay based subjects? so far im definite on geography and history, i need one more.
Think... a lot lower.
(edited 1 year ago)
What are you thinking about in terms of university options?
Reply 6
What are you thinking about in terms of university options?

something on the line of history or geography, i dont mind a lot of jobs relating to those two. theyre both quite fun for me
A lot of jobs may not be connected to your degree though and just require degree as a basis to demonstrate your ability to learn and work independently.

Look into some geography degrees. Nearly all have a scientific aspect and some are straight BSc degrees. If you want to keep geography open I suggest you do take biology or physics/maths. Biology is more about memory and essay based than the other hard sciences but you also learn the necessary scientific skills and there is a lot of synergy/overlap between bio and geog.

If you want your options open, take a hard science- P, C, B or M. But take the one you are going to do the best in as that will be a greater enabler than the relative merits of the subject difficulty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
When you apply for a job, they usually look at your A-Levels first, then at your GCSEs.
Reply 9
A lot of jobs may not be connected to your degree though and just require degree as a basis to demonstrate your ability to learn and work independently.

Look into some geography degrees. Nearly all have a scientific aspect and some are straight BSc degrees. If you want to keep geography open I suggest you do take biology or physics/maths. Biology is more about memory and essay based than the other hard sciences but you also learn the necessary scientific skills and there is a lot of synergy/overlap between bio and geog.

If you want your options open, take a hard science- P, C, B or M. But take the one you are going to do the best in as that will be a greater enabler than the relative merits of the subject difficulty.

my friend told me not to take one science, as they always have to come in pairs. how true is that? out of all the sciences i only enjoy biology, the other two are quite math-sy which explains why i dont enjoy them.
That's for science degrees, so if you want to do a biology degree you need biology A level and then another like chemistry.
Don't think that's really true unless you want to do something really science-ey at uni like a science or medicine / engineering.

For geography even a BSc, Biology will suffice. And having a good science A level will help and keep your options open.

I think geography, history and biology would be a good and interesting mix and won't limit you from the types of things you want to do.
It really depends on the job, the question is actually kinda dumb. I mean for a ton of jobs, nobody cares if you have anything in maths, obviously if you want to do anything maths related that would require a university degree then you'd need A Level maths, Chemistry I'd recommend it but it's not a necessity and you don't really need it at all if you want to do Biology.
OP having GCSE PE would make you more future proof, but looking at your username...

Lool
Just do it in Y12?....

You clearly shouldn't be doing it in Y11 if you're at the point of not wanting to do it anymore because you're struggling with it so much.

My advice is to carry on (if you have to) but do not get entered in for the exams, take time to develop you ability and then take the exams next summer when everyone else will do it.

If you are able to drop it, drop it. You're wasting your time and you should just focus on your GCSEs.
Original post by jamestg
Just do it in Y12?....

You clearly shouldn't be doing it in Y11 if you're at the point of not wanting to do it anymore because you're struggling with it so much.

My advice is to carry on (if you have to) but do not get entered in for the exams, take time to develop you ability and then take the exams next summer when everyone else will do it.

If you are able to drop it, drop it. You're wasting your time and you should just focus on your GCSEs.

I've done my maths gcse, and since they dont want me doing nothing in maths lesson, theyre doing step up course for a level maths for those considering it. i am one of them and since its stressing me out im considering not choosing it as an option. which leaves me more stressed because theres one more A level i need to be sure about and choosing this last one is so hard

Can confirm, part of the biology and geography topics are the same in A2
it depends on what career you want. You should research what career options you're interested in and then see what qualifications they require to know what study pathways you need to do.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Hang on so you're not actually doing A-level maths?

What have you done so far topic wise? How much practice have you been doing?
Original post by jamestg
Hang on so you're not actually doing A-level maths?

What have you done so far topic wise? How much practice have you been doing?

they teaching C1 at the moment and we've done surds, which was super easy at this level, then we've done indices, again easy. now we're doing coordinate geometry and the rules are quite nice and easy, but once we got to the practice exam question for it, i was almost on the verge of banging my head on the desk, thats how i handled the stress lol.

Quick Reply

Latest