The Student Room Group

Sending off passport for British citizenship

I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I hope that somebody will be able to help me out. My friend has an Australian passport and has sent off her passport to the home office, to apply for british citizenship. She sent it a couple of weeks ago and has received an ackowledgement of her application already. However, we're thinking of going on holiday in early July. Does anybody know if she will get her passport back in time??? Obviously she's not going to get her citizenship by July, but what about her old passport..how long will they keep it for??

Thanks a lot!!
If you phone up the place where you took it, and you explain the situation I'm sure they will speed up the process, they did for my mate who had to go on vacation within 3 weeks...:rolleyes:
Reply 2
When you say she has applied for British Citizenship, do you mean she is applying to Naturalise? If she already has ILR, it won't take long to get a British Passport but it can take up to eighteen months to get a Registration or Naturalization certificate.
Reply 3
miki_da_magpie
If you phone up the place where you took it, and you explain the situation I'm sure they will speed up the process, they did for my mate who had to go on vacation within 3 weeks...:rolleyes:

I just called and they said they have no idea how long it takes!!! How helpful :rolleyes: I know there's a way of speeding up the process when applying, but she has already sent her application off...?
Did you friend also apply for citizenship?

Mellie, I have no idea!! :s-smilie: She applied for a British passport (with an Australian one)..um..

Thanks!
Reply 4
I applied for my first British passport last week using the check and send service which takes 2 weeks. If your friend rings the passport helpline (08705210410) they should be able to help her out. I think to spped up the application she'll have to pay £47 but that depends on how she applied in the first place.

From what you've said though, i'm not sure if you mean that she has applied for a passport or for her naturalisation which can take up to 6 months!! After which she'll have to arrange to go for a ceremony where she has to swear an oath to the queen (this might take a further 3 weeks). It's quite a lengthy process but if she's already done that then getting her passport shouldn't take longer than 3 weeks.
Reply 5
kazaa
I just called and they said they have no idea how long it takes!!! How helpful :rolleyes: I know there's a way of speeding up the process when applying, but she has already sent her application off...?
Did you friend also apply for citizenship?

Mellie, I have no idea!! :s-smilie: She applied for a British passport (with an Australian one)..um..

Thanks!

If she has applied to the IPS, then I would have thought she has naturalisation already. In which case, there are new procedures in place for checking the security of naturalisation certificates due (what with interviews coming in and the biometric system) so that could hold the application up a few days longer than anticipated.

Incidentally, the Post Office service doesn't really guarentee you get the application back any quicker than you would normally if you put it in the post. I know they check certain things but they are not trained to understand what is required of a passport application, so you are essentially paying for them to get lucky hahaha.

Latest

Trending

Trending