The Student Room Group

Options Dilemma - 4 or 3?

I'm currently in year 11 and it has arrived at the time for me to pick my A-Levels. I am set on taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I am aiming to take Veterinary Studies at university. My dilemma is that I do not know whether to take three or four A-Levels, and then if I do take four, do I take Geography or French?

To give a little more context, I have been told that Geography is a very intense option and as for French, I can drop it after one year of taking it after taking an exam.

Any advice would be welcome. Just ask if I can provide any extra information.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by LogicalFallacy
I'm currently in year 11 and it has arrived at the time for me to pick my A-Levels. I am set on taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I am aiming to take Veterinary Studies at university. My dilemma is that I do not know whether to take three or four A-Levels, and then if I do take four, do I take Geography or French?

To give a little more context, I have been told that Geography is a very intense option and as for French, I can drop it after one year of taking it after taking an exam.

Thanks in advance!

If you take geogrpahy, you can drop that after a year too? Do which one you like more! If it doesn't work out for you, you might be able to change in the early weeks of doing the course. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Im currently facing the same issue (except with psychology as a fourth) Many people have advised advised me to only take three, so that there's more time to study them, as veterinary courses at university are extremely competitive and expect A's in three a-levels. Not taking a fourth would also give you more time to complete extensive work experience which is also needed for veterinary courses. However there is always the option of sitting the fourth as an AS-Level.
Original post by Black Rose
If you take geography, you can drop that after a year too? Do which one you like more! If it doesn't work out for you, you might be able to change in the early weeks of doing the course. :smile:

Apparently it is different as A-Level Geography is now in the new system, whereas A-Level French is not. I hope that changing or even dropping the course is a possibility if it doesn't all work out. Thank you!
Original post by cgoddard95
Im currently facing the same issue (except with psychology as a fourth) Many people have advised advised me to only take three, so that there's more time to study them, as veterinary courses at university are extremely competitive and expect As in three a-levels. Not taking a fourth would also give you more time to complete extensive work experience which is also needed for veterinary courses. However there is always the option of sitting the fourth as an AS-Level.

French will be the AS-Level for me. I cannot take Geography as an AS-Level with my school's new system. I also heard that Veterinary Medicine is a very competitive course. Would it be better to have three A*s or possibly four As? I know that it would be a lot more work if I take four A-Levels, but would it be viewed as more respectable? Thank you for replying!
French will be the AS-Level for me. I cannot take Geography as an AS-Level with my school's new system. I also heard that Veterinary Medicine is a very competitive course. Would it be better to have three A*s or possibly four As? I know that it would be a lot more work if I take four A-Levels, but would it be viewed as more respectable? Thank you for replying!

Most university veterinary courses ask for a minimum of three a's,but it really does depend on where you're applying for. Its best to have a read around the different course requirements.
Original post by cgoddard95
Most university veterinary courses ask for a minimum of three As,but it really does depend on where you're applying for. Its best to have a read around the different course requirements.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I hope you have luck deciding yours!

Quick Reply

Latest