The Student Room Group

Which subject should I drop (which one is harder)

I currntly take maths futher maths chemistry and physics. I want to drop either chemistry or further maths so which one of the two? I want to do maths, physics or an engineering at uni and know further maths would be more useful but i dont care about that. Thanks

Also chemistry is aqa and further maths is edexcel
I've heard that some unis don't class further maths as a separate A level. Can I ask if you've looked into your university and course requirements in relation to this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are certain that you are going into maths physics or engineering it dpends on what type. For maths degree, a further maths a level would be more recommended, further maths is also more helped but not needed (but chem is also fine) for top unis like imperial for engineering however if you want to go into Chemical engineering then i would suggest to come Chemistry because it will be a requirement for most universities
If you want to do any of those subjects at university, you probably have to see it through. Further Maths is just too important to engineering. Physics, you're obviously not going to drop, Maths is essential. Chemistry has its importance to physics too.

Of those, maybe, Chemistry could be dropped, especially if you're leaning towards maths at university. Engineering could require Chemistry though, while for science degrees, I heard universities like another science to be taken.
Reply 4
I have just looked into the requirements for the unis and it doesnt matter which one i drop so can someone please answer the question of which one is easier in A level to get an A or A*
Original post by InV15iblefrog
I've heard that some unis don't class further maths as a separate A level. Can I ask if you've looked into your university and course requirements in relation to this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know that was never the case except medical admissions.
Original post by null_geodesic
As far as I know that was never the case except medical admissions.

Is that so? You learn something every day huh? 😄
I'm not entirely sure, but a friend I know had similar issues with further maths for a non-medical course, but it may have been just the particular university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by InV15iblefrog
Is that so? You learn something every day huh? 😄
I'm not entirely sure, but a friend I know had similar issues with further maths for a non-medical course, but it may have been just the particular university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never heard of this outside medicine (maybe vet/dentistry too) - and even that is dying a deserved death.
If you're doing Maths anyway and are good at it, then do Further Maths. Doing Maths and Physics will make Further Maths easier (and vise versa). Chemistry is really hard. There's also a lot of memorising at A2 - which you could think is a good or a bad thing. (Still very hard even if you have a good memory though!)
I have done the exact same A levels, dropped Physics after AS but I'm studying Maths at uni so that was just a personal decision between Physics and Chemistry. Depends what the university asks for really. Chemistry is harder than Further maths, in my opinion, so if you are going off difficulty-wise then I would probably drop Chemistry. On the other hand most engineering courses don't actually require further maths? Depends where you want to go but Maths and Physics is essential. About half of the people on my course haven't done further maths and they struggled quite a bit at the start. Lecturers would go through the material as if we weren't taught about it however the pace is really quick so it is handy to have but I wouldn't know how relevant that would be for engineering.
Reply 10
Original post by hollyclaireee
If you're doing Maths anyway and are good at it, then do Further Maths. Doing Maths and Physics will make Further Maths easier (and vise versa). Chemistry is really hard. There's also a lot of memorising at A2 - which you could think is a good or a bad thing. (Still very hard even if you have a good memory though!)

Thanks. I have got a very good memory so is that most of chemistry? Was else is there?
Original post by sandvika
Thanks. I have got a very good memory so is that most of chemistry? Was else is there?

Chem 5 is quite a lot of memory (especially transition metals). And there's a lot of organic in Chem 4 that requires understanding but memory helps a lot. The rest of Chem 4 is mainly calculations. Not finished learning all of Chem 5 though so can't give a full answer here sorry!
further maths at A2 is satanic from what ive heard lol
In my opinion I found chemistry by far the hardest A-Level.
Meaning if you remain with phys Maths, FM, you can study math, phys, and most engineering subjects at any top Universities.
Ignore the people that say some unis dont consider FM as a separate A-Level, thats only when applying for Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest