The Student Room Group

Do you think technology will be the death of society?

I have read various studies that demonstrate how social media and our obsession with our phones is having a negative impact on our relationships (just look around the the next cafe/coffee shop you go to and see if people are talking or have their phones out!)

Do you think that our advancements in tech are going to pull us further and further apart?

Scroll to see replies

Eventually we'll all fall in love with our Operating Systems and then be torn apart when they decide to leave this physical world :cry2:

:cry2:

:bawling:
When people are on their phones etc they're usually talking to people, not much different to talking in real life
Reply 3
Original post by rileystringer1
When people are on their phones etc they're usually talking to people, not much different to talking in real life

I agree :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Eventually we'll all fall in love with our Operating Systems and then be torn apart when they decide to leave this physical world :cry2:

:cry2:

:bawling:

That film XD

I actually think it is really different and I don't understand why people have to talk to other people on their phones when they are out with their friends/partners already?

A recent study showed that whilst speaking to someone on a phone call can help you bond with them, contact over text doesn't have the same effect.
Original post by Queen Cersei
I actually think it is really different and I don't understand why people have to talk to other people on their phones when they are out with their friends/partners already?

A recent study showed that whilst speaking to someone on a phone call can help you bond with them, contact over text doesn't have the same effect.

Yeah I completely agree, people are drawn to their phones when with people and it's actually rude when you try to talk to someone and they're sucked in lol

That second (underlined) part means nothing to me, because there are lots of "recent studies" that show random **** but I don't believe it. Like how can you test how speaking on the phone helps people to bond? It's stupid and sounds made up to me
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That film XD

I've still not recovered after watching it.
Yeah I completely agree, people are drawn to their phones when with people and it's actually rude when you try to talk to someone and they're sucked in lol

That second (underlined) part means nothing to me, because there are lots of "recent studies" that show random **** but I don't believe it. Like how can you test how speaking on the phone helps people to bond? It's stupid and sounds made up to me

Same! I get so annoyed when I'm having dinner with someone but for some reason their phone is so much more important!

I'm usually cynical but I think they measured oxytocin levels and just from experience I feel that having a whatsapp group with my friends puts more distance between us and if we were to have a phone call I would feel much closer with them- it's just more personal I guess and you can hear each other's voices and emotions.
...a whatsapp group with my friends puts more distance between us and if we were to have a phone call I would feel much closer with them- it's just more personal I guess and you can hear each other's voices and emotions.

This reminds me of TFIOS
This reminds me of TFIOS

I've not seen or read it!
I've not seen or read it!

Ah really, I recommend it
I think people who talk about this tend to gloss over a key detail here; why are people using their phones? Generally, to talk to people, which is hardly the shining example of a society being ruined.

Yes, maybe it's frustrating when people are on their phones when you're there - so tell them that. That's not a inherent issue with technology though, that's just people being impolite. And we shouldn't ignore the benefits of it too. Whilst a phone call may be more personal, it's simply not viable to use that as often as you can a message or group, and there's advantages to be said from that.

As much as there are downsides, to say it's 'ruining' society is rather extreme... when you can communicate further and more easily than you would be able to without it, it's clearly not going to be the death of society, if people are reasonable in their usage.
I don't know whether it will be the death of society as such, but I do think it's likely to be the death of social interaction. The number of people I saw texting or looking at the internet etc on their phones when walking through college on the way to lessons was ridiculous (I never used my phone when in college). Although I'm not really a social/talkative person, it did make me sad to see that 99% of the people I encountered were glued to their phones. I just don't see what's so great about being on your phone all the time...

Yeah

It's a bit much saying it will ruin society, society was imperfect to begin with.

I actually think it is really different and I don't understand why people have to talk to other people on their phones when they are out with their friends/partners already?A recent study showed that whilst speaking to someone on a phone call can help you bond with them, contact over text doesn't have the same effect.

That I agree with, it also adds a lot anxiety talking via text, but then again, I suppose it's better than writing letters and waiting for the response a month or more later in the mail.
(edited 8 years ago)
koyaanisqatsi
Original post by Leviathan1741
I just don't see what's so great about being on your phone all the time...

You might if you embraced technology more. Our phones are portable computers that link us to the wealth of human knowledge, and allow us to retwin relationships madr otherwise impossible.

Do you think that our advancements in tech are going to pull us further and further apart?

I feel the opposite, when we eventually all merge with machines and into a semi continious super entity, we will all be one.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
You might if you embraced technology more. Our phones are portable computers that link us to the wealth of human knowledge, and allow us to retwin relationships madr otherwise impossible.

It's not that I don't embrace technology, I actually think it's incredibly useful. I just can't get my head around why I see so many people standing together in their friendship groups, but all looking at their phones instead of talking to each other
Original post by shadowdweller
I think people who talk about this tend to gloss over a key detail here; why are people using their phones? Generally, to talk to people, which is hardly the shining example of a society being ruined.

Yes, maybe it's frustrating when people are on their phones when you're there - so tell them that. That's not a inherent issue with technology though, that's just people being impolite. And we shouldn't ignore the benefits of it too. Whilst a phone call may be more personal, it's simply not viable to use that as often as you can a message or group, and there's advantages to be said from that.

As much as there are downsides, to say it's 'ruining' society is rather extreme... when you can communicate further and more easily than you would be able to without it, it's clearly not going to be the death of society, if people are reasonable in their usage.

This . shadow, I was reading something on tech target. The workforce of the future will be populated by both robots and humans - each doing what the other simply can not do.

If robots become sufficiently advanced, I imagine that wed use less robot workers as well. Also I don't believe in this robot uprisingespecially as when we add intelligence, were also slowly adding emotional intelligence as well. Humans may well be the most intelligent species on the planet but that doesn't mean that most of us go around abusing other animals here. we have that emotional intelligence. At any rate, I see a slightly less dystopian future than a lot of people.

I also don't think that just because there are robots in the world, it means humans will forego human interaction

Every generation seems to oppose automation and machinery. And in every generation, sure some jobs are lost but tbh as a result of these new technologies, there are actually more jobs. Today we have record employment levels
(edited 8 years ago)
People lamented the introduction of every single piece of technology as if it was some kind of harbinger of doom, as though one of the 4 horsemen was in fact a tech guy wielding a soldering iron.

Every single one of those predictions has turned out to be utter bolleaux. I see no reason why that is about to change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending