The Student Room Group

Dyeing bleached blonde hair back to brown

So I recently got my hair bleached blonde after having some blonde highlights and I feel like it does nothing for me and makes my bad skin more noticeable and tbh, it just isn't 'me' but I'm glad I tried it, had to at some point! I know it seems that you would just shove a brown dye over your hair and that would be that but I know when you bleach your hair you strip all its pigment so you have to add that back in when going darker.

I have a rough idea what I am doing today. I know I will need a red semi permanent dye to begin with, will Crazy Colour do? I know it will be a very vibrant shade but will that act OK as a pre pigment? I have brown box dye to use afterwards too. Its Superdrugs own chestnut brown and this is semi permanent too. I've read horror stories about peoples hair turning green and all that jazz so I'm a bit nervous! Hoping to be back to brunette by the end of the day, fingers crossed.

If anyone has any experience going back to dark after bleaching please let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
So I recently got my hair bleached blonde after having some blonde highlights and I feel like it does nothing for me and makes my bad skin more noticeable and tbh, it just isn't 'me' but I'm glad I tried it, had to at some point! I know it seems that you would just shove a brown dye over your hair and that would be that but I know when you bleach your hair you strip all its pigment so you have to add that back in when going darker.

I have a rough idea what I am doing today. I know I will need a red semi permanent dye to begin with, will Crazy Colour do? I know it will be a very vibrant shade but will that act OK as a pre pigment? I have brown box dye to use afterwards too. Its Superdrugs own chestnut brown and this is semi permanent too. I've read horror stories about peoples hair turning green and all that jazz so I'm a bit nervous! Hoping to be back to brunette by the end of the day, fingers crossed.

If anyone has any experience going back to dark after bleaching please let me know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stuck a medium brown dye over my bleached hair and although it turned out darker than the box suggested I didn't have any other problems with it ( this was a month after the last time I bleached it).
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I stuck a medium brown dye over my bleached hair and although it turned out darker than the box suggested I didn't have any other problems with it ( this was a month after the last time I bleached it).

You've made the process of going back to brown sound so easy :tongue: yeah I've heard it goes a lot darker than the box colour but then fades really quickly too. I got my hair bleached last 2 days ago and it feels in fine condition but I'm avoiding using permanent dye on it for at least a month or two
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
You've made the process of going back to brown sound so easy :tongue: yeah I've heard it goes a lot darker than the box colour but then fades really quickly too. I got my hair bleached last 2 days ago and it feels in fine condition but I'm avoiding using permanent dye on it for at least a month or two
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see why using a semi perm won't work on its own :smile: it's not fading too badly after 3 weeks for me so maybe it depends on individuals hair.
Reply 4
Done a strand test and this is how it looks, brown and frizzy xD will post a pic later when it's done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Turned out good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest