The Student Room Group

simple harmonic motion

This is the question I am trying to answer:

A body of mass 5kg is placed on a rough horizontal surface, coefficient of friction 11/49. State whether or not the body will slide across the surface when the surface is moved horizontally with shm of amplitude 55cm and:
a) time period pi/2
b)time period...
c)a frequency of 15 oscillations per minute
d) a frequency.....

----------------------------------------
This is my thinking for part a) but it's wrong because the answer is YES.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it because the force to the centre is >friction that it moves towards the centre? If that's so then YES it does move.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maggiehodgson
This is the question I am trying to answer:

A body of mass 5kg is placed on a rough horizontal surface, coefficient of friction 11/49. State whether or not the body will slide across the surface when the surface is moved horizontally with shm of amplitude 55cm and:
a) time period pi/2
b)time period...
c)a frequency of 15 oscillations per minute
d) a frequency.....

----------------------------------------
This is my thinking for part a) but it's wrong because the answer is YES.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it because the force to the centre is >friction that it moves towards the centre? If that's so then YES it does move.

The value that you've worked out for the friction is the maximum possible frictional force. Since the force from the surface at the edge of the SHM is greater than that, the particle will slide.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The value that you've worked out for the friction is the maximum possible frictional force. Since the force from the surface at the edge of the SHM is greater than that, the particle will slide.

Yes. Thank you. I understand.

Quick Reply

Latest