Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS General Studies Revision

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    i do general studies OCR AS, i have the general studies paper coming up in a week. I was wondering if anyone knew how to revise for it, also any notes would be helpful. I am alright at section A, but i really struggle on section B where you have to write the 40 mark essay. Any tips.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A tip from my awesome General Studies teacher: the GS papers are written up to four years before the actual exam (bizarre, I know, but it's true - hence paper leakage scandals), so it might be a good idea to see what was current in the news between two and four years ago. Brainstorm those topics and possibly remember any interesting statistics you come across, as they strengthen any argument. Anecdotal evidence is perfectly fine too.

As for section B - as for any essay you do, prepare a plan before you start writing it, as it's possible to gain marks on organisation, and it shows the script marker where you were going to go with your answer, should you run out of time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidia)
    A tip from my awesome General Studies teacher: the GS papers are written up to four years before the actual exam (bizarre, I know, but it's true - hence paper leakage scandals)
    Actually, I think most subjects do that. If the leak is out early, they replace the papers, they have 1-2 back-up papers. So I've heard.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fblade)
    Actually, I think most subjects do that. If the leak is out early, they replace the papers, they have 1-2 back-up papers. So I've heard.
    Quite, but I didn't see the point talking about other subjects in a GS thread.

It's weird to think when you sit a paper that it might have been around longer than you've been doing a subject...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lidia)
    Quite, but I didn't see the point talking about other subjects in a GS thread.

It's weird to think when you sit a paper that it might have been around longer than you've been doing a subject...
    I know:p: .

Yeah its a little weird. I don't understand why they make it that early, they're just questions. Some teachers make up questions on the spot, are they like trainee teachers :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tips
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fblade)
    I know:p: .

Yeah its a little weird. I don't understand why they make it that early, they're just questions. Some teachers make up questions on the spot, are they like trainee teachers :P
    Well, each question has to give scope for all the Assessment Objectives, and there has to be a variety of topics, so most candidates have a chance of finding a topic that they're fairly knowlegeable on. And don't forget that markschemes have to be written as well, and the scriptmarker must be aware of them. I think on top of that too, it's just good to be organised, especially when you're running something like an exam board, where time is critical.

(Original post by doggydogfoot)
    thanks for the tips
    You're welcome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on how to answer the long essay type questions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my exam tomorrow, and I haven't even been taught ANYTHING on the subject. We only found out on Friday that we needed a calculator for one of the papers. SO, I don't even think I'll be sitting the paper!
    However, there are several websites available for revision, just type into google "General Studies Revision" many websites come up!
    Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what CALCULATOR tomorrow???? Even for AQA A as?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA B tomorrow, and I've not had a lesson in this subject in my life!
    You need compasses and a protractor too; it says so on the spec =[
    xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    I need a calculator and potractor?!

Theres no way i'm going to pass this exam..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol jus gt back frm it.in my school they dnt teach it but we still have to sit it..i literally went in blind not knowing wt to expect..i heard that schools get paid to get people to sit them thats why i had2 do it.noone was given any choice at all lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ They dont teach it?!

We have one lesson a week of it, but we dont actually do anything.
    The exam today was easy though, just soo much writing!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a general studies exam tomorrow - the one with the maths and stuff - does anyone know what I'll need to bring?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ I'd also like to know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are you doing that one tommorow...we did it on monday but that was with Edexcel.
    Take a calculator and a pen and thats all you need. Calculator isnt even needed if you can write out sums etc...simple maths really!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had one on monday too. I think it's AQA - but the one on monday was a resit, coz I failed the one I did in January! oops!! oh dear - am dreading the one today coz I can't do maths!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll need a protractor and a calculator because they may ask you to draw a Pie Chart. They will give you some data, and you have to work out the percentages of it and then put it into a Pie Chart.

They might not ask for a Pie Chart, it could be a Bar Chart too.

Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    General studies in an hour

I have two of them this afternoon, unit 1 and 2.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.