The Student Room Group

Wicked (The Musical)

After seeing someone mention it not long ago, i went and got the soundtrack... it is brilliant!!

Really want to go see it now, but read some reviews saying that the current cast aren't particulary strong - anyone have any opinions on that?

Loving 'Defying Gravity', amazing song, can really relate to the lyrics - also 'Popular', have had the tune in my head for ages!!

-x-

Join the scoiety here :biggrin: :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I saw it mid March and the cast was amazing! I thought they were just as good as the soundtrack!
Reply 2
Good to hear! Going to see it in the Summer (believe there is or has been a cast change before i go!)... can't wait!!

-x-
Reply 3
it is brilliant,I agree
Reply 4
Yay! Defying Gravity and Popular are my two favourite songs from the show!

I went to see it during the final week of December 2006 - Idina Menzel's final week. She, along with the rest of the cast, was outstanding - but I'm afraid that I don't know wha the new cast sound like in comparison.

Regardless, I reccommend you go! Shows rarely sound totally like their original cast recordings, so it'll be a fresh experience for you anyway!

xx
wicked is amazing

I went to see it last October... and it was incredible!! Defying Gravity is so amazing on stage!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 6
Stunning show :smile: My boss's friend is MD of that show... absolutely amazing! The New(well, newish) Elpheba (Kerry Ellis) is stunning, the first brit to play that role! Her rendition of no good deed blew me away!
Reply 7
Yes, I wouldn't let rumours of a bad cast deter you from seeing the show. It's amazing, and even if they aren't as good as the soundtrack, seeing it live will more than make up for that.
Reply 8
I saw the Kerry Ellis version and it's awesome! I thought she was better than Idina Menzel... Plus the guy from Coyote Ugly was Fiyero, and he was really well cast. It's a great show all round, so you're bound to love it whoever's in it.
Has anyone read the book? I've been trying to get hold of it, but apparently it's quite bad.. :confused:
poodlesheep
I saw the Kerry Ellis version and it's awesome! I thought she was better than Idina Menzel... Plus the guy from Coyote Ugly was Fiyero, and he was really well cast. It's a great show all round, so you're bound to love it whoever's in it.
Has anyone read the book? I've been trying to get hold of it, but apparently it's quite bad.. :confused:

I'm reading the book at the moment... not got very far through it though... mainly cos i've been revising for gcses. I can't really make a judgement on it yet but it doesn't seem bad.
poodlesheep

I saw Kerry Ellis and the full cast in April, it was amazing the only thing i could say is that Adam Garcia's Dancing thorugh life was a bit weak.. but he makes up for it in charm and good looks.. But its just that the London version pronouces words differently.. but i can definately say that the show is fantastic and i don't even like Wizard of Oz.. and i have converted my mum and my dad (ish he hates musicals )

Regarding the book, well its split into sections and well up to just after they go to Shiz i quite enjoyed it, its different from the musical but you can see the basis of it.. and well then it goes downhill , way too much politics and i seemed to miss the spark from the first couple of chapters. It became tedious and focused on too many characters

But go see it ! I want to again!
Reply 11
emilyanne
Yes, I wouldn't let rumours of a bad cast deter you from seeing the show. It's amazing, and even if they aren't as good as the soundtrack, seeing it live will more than make up for that.

Erm... just out of interest, a couple of people have mentioned this 'bad cast'...where the hell does it come from??? **** me, i don't think they could do much better in casting, other than to maybe get rid of Adam Garcia and get someone decent. Which fortunately is happening anyway. He's being replaced by someone who trained at the same college as Kerry Ellis (Laine Theatre Arts).
Anyone know if they are going to do a london cast recording because i would love it with Kerry Ellis?
Reply 13
Sorry, the Fiyero replacement is from ArtsEd not Laines... close, just not as good :biggrin:

Greenangel- Kerry Ellis is recording a few tracks from Wicked with Brian May, i doubt there'd be a full London Cast Recording though...although, you never know!
Reply 14
Oh, everyone's comments have cheered me up!!

I've seen a few musicals on Broadway then in the WestEnd, and Broadway was SO much better!! So was worried Wicked would be the same!

-x-
Reply 15
baby_emmy
Oh, everyone's comments have cheered me up!!

I've seen a few musicals on Broadway then in the WestEnd, and Broadway was SO much better!! So was worried Wicked would be the same!

-x-

Did you not think Wicked was better in Broadway? Comparitively, i would say Wicked in London lacks some of the 'magic'... the tin man transformation is a bit naff and underplayed, and the monkeys! But in Broadway the monkeys fly over the auditorium... woooow!
Reply 16
Sorry, worded it badly!!

I've only heard the Broadway soundtrack - and was wondering if the UK show is up to par!! Seen some of the vids on YouTube, looks BRILLIANT! Going to New York next year, so if it's still playing, def going to see it then!

-x-
Reply 17
I read the book it was based on a couple of weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it..

Is it worth going to see people..? :smile:
Haven't seen it but really want to, my friend who saw it said it was amazing.
Reply 19
I'm going to go and see it on Broadway whilst I'm in New York this summer. :biggrin: Can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest