The Student Room Group

Wicked (The Musical)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I saw Wicked for the first time this week! I've been dying to see it for almost two years now and it was so much better than I thought! I've heard Idina and Kerry's versions of the songs, and I have to say Alexia is my favourite.

I'm kinda confused to who was Glinda though. I'm not sure if it was Dianne or the Stand-by Sarah Earnshaw. Anyone know? It was the 4/08/08 performance?
Reply 81
Absolutely love it...............its such a spectacle of a show....and the new elphaba..Alexia on the west end is just fantastic!!
Reply 82
After reading all the comments on this thread, I really really want to see this!! I've never watched the Wizard of Oz though (I know, I know, appaling). Does that matter, or is this story seperate enough that I'll still be able to understand what's going on?
Reply 83
I've not seen the musical yet (avid soundtrack/youtube clips fan!) but i do think you'll be able to understand the story easily, lyrically it's very good so you can get what's going on from the songs alone!

-x-
I went for the 3rd time yesterday and had a full cast.

It was the second time I'd seen Alexia and I really like her, she's so different from Kerry - her NGD is terrifying!

We met some of the cast at the SD before, Desmond Baritt is such a sweetie ^_^
I've only seen Kerry but my friend's saw Alexia and didn't really like her. :s-smilie:

Sarah Earnshaw the Glinda standby is amazing as well, I really think she should take over the role when Dianne leaves. :smile:
Reply 86
i loved it :biggrin:
Reply 87
I'm seeing it YET AGAIN, probably for the 4th/5th time by now but I know people who are worse ha, on the 3rd Sept cos my friend wants to see it before we move away for uni and are no longer close to the west-end *weep*

But Wicked..:biggrin: As excited as I've ever been to go lol.
Reply 88
Ooh. Hopefully I'll be going to see this again within the next month or so. :biggrin:
Reply 89
I saw Wicked in April...was so amazing! Had the stand ins for Ga-linda, Fiyero and Madame Morrible. Thought the actress playing Glinda was amazing, she acting fit in perfectly to the role that she was playing! Since seeing Wicked i've become a bit obsessed. I know all the words to the songs, and have read the book. The book was alright, but dragged a bit in some places as it got very political. I really want to go see it again! Would recommend it to anyone, young or old! It's very enjoyable.
Going again next month to see Ashleigh Gray :biggrin:
Great musical! I saw it last summer and enjoyed it. "Defying gravity" stands out as one of the classic songs of the show :smile:
Reply 92
Greenangel2k6

Regarding the book, well its split into sections and well up to just after they go to Shiz i quite enjoyed it, its different from the musical but you can see the basis of it.. and well then it goes downhill , way too much politics and i seemed to miss the spark from the first couple of chapters. It became tedious and focused on too many characters

But go see it ! I want to again!

Yeah, the book really isnt that great - it gets a bit strange at times...
Reply 93
the book is fantastic in my opinion, it's almost completely different to the musical but if you read the book before hand you will notice clever references such as the dragon and all the clock elements all refer to the "time dragon clock" it makes the show just that bit more satisfying. The music is great and defying gravity is amazing on stage, i've never seen ANYTHING quite as mesmerizing. the books sequel "son of a witch" is just as good but a whole lot darker and more political.
Reply 94
I went with my friends in April and it was absoloutly amazing! The songs are all great and I've been singing them to myself ever since!! especially popular.
I've recently got into Wicked! I'm listening to Defying Gravity now!
I watched Wicked in NYC and Seattle (when they were touring), and I have to say, I love love love this show so much.

Popular is one of my favourite songs alongside Defying Gravity :smile: I wonder whether the performances in London vs. NYC are different at all!
Popular... You're gonna be pop-u-lar! So catchy!
Reply 98
This is my favourite musical! Seen it for times I think. The first was on holiday in New York- we won the Lottery that afternoon and got two front row tickets for $25 :smile: I've seen Idina and Kerry but probably preferred Idina... I met the cast and they were all really sweet too.
Read the book, found it okay but like somebody said, the political side dragged a tad- I started Son of a Witch too.
xTash3007x
This is my favourite musical! Seen it for times I think. The first was on holiday in New York- we won the Lottery that afternoon and got two front row tickets for $25 :smile: I've seen Idina and Kerry but probably preferred Idina... I met the cast and they were all really sweet too.
Read the book, found it okay but like somebody said, the political side dragged a tad- I started Son of a Witch too.

You won the lottery??
Defying Gravity is actually my theme song! I love Elphaba!
Is the book worth reading? I prefer Idina to Kerry (from thr Youtube vids... *whistles*)
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it on stage but I found £15 tickets so I plan on going soon!

Quick Reply

Latest