The Student Room Group

Britain sends Five Warships to Russian border as new Cold War tensions increase

Britain is sending five warships and 530 naval personnel to join Nato’s maritime arm as the alliance boosts its military force to counter what it sees as a growing threat from Russia. British troops will also be stationed on the ground in the Baltic states, near to the Russian border, it has emerged.

Nato defence ministers are set to also approve measures including the stockpiling of weapons in bases in eastern Europe. The US has quadrupled its budget for forces in Europe to $3.4bn (£2.3bn) and has announced that half of this will be spent on a “heavy brigade” armour and artillery in western Europe.

Read More:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-responds-to-threat-from-russians-by-beefing-up-royal-navy-a6863751.html

Scroll to see replies

We have five warships?
Reply 2
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
We have five warships?

They count the lifeboats these days.
Were closer to World War 3 than we thought!
Corbyn will save us
The west are just asking for trouble.

Talk about provocations.
Reply 6
Original post by The Warsmith
The west are just asking for trouble.

Talk about provocations.

Nope.

It's reciprocal. They do it to us, we do it to them. All part of the balance. Read the story and look at the linked article.
We have five warships?

My exact thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
We have five warships?

Surprising :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
My exact thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

beat me too it :wink:
Original post by DiddyDec
My exact thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And mine:biggrin:
Original post by Drewski
Nope.

It's reciprocal. They do it to us, we do it to them. All part of the balance. Read the story and look at the linked article.

I somewhat doubt the credibility of that article. Funny how I haven't heard it once on the news. Surely such an event would spike a bit more talk, but it hasn't, so I have a feeling that NATO's overreacting.

Also, what do they plan to do next? Start a major offensive move on Russia?
Reply 12
I somewhat doubt the credibility of that article. Funny how I haven't heard it once on the news. Surely such an event would spike a bit more talk, but it hasn't, so I have a feeling that NATO's overreacting.

I apply to be commander of such an offensive

:kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu:

Check the news. They've done it roughly once a year for the past few years. As well as numerous examples of sending bomber aircraft down our coast. Don't blame me for you not following the news.

Of course not. But judging by your comments thus far I don't expect you would understand the nuances behind exercises like this.
Original post by Kyx
I apply to be commander of such an offensive

:kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu:

And also be the first to die.
Reply 15
And also be the first to die.

And die a hero? So be it :wink:
Original post by Kyx
And die a hero? So be it :wink:

Personally, I wouldn't choose the latter.
Reply 17
Personally, I wouldn't choose the latter.

What would you choose?
Original post by Kyx
What would you choose?

Not provoking a major power in order to cause a cataclysmic war which will cause the death of millions, thank you very much.
Reply 19
Not provoking a major power in order to cause a cataclysmic war which will cause the death of millions, thank you very much.

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending