The Student Room Group

I'm 25 - how do I take A-levels without GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RJR_racing
I'm in the similar boat buddy I was anxious about doing the Access to HE diploma too. What you need to do first is get some level 2 qualifications (GCSE A*-C level).
I would recommend getting a map of your location and looking within a 30 mile radius of every college in your area that offer part time courses for GCSE in at least Maths English & Science single/double award.
that way they should let you onto a level 3 programme Including A levels all though most colleges won't accept you because its designed for 16-19 year olds (utter ********).
so you have to find a college that accepts mature students for level 3 courses and you'd need a 24+ loan to cover fee's.

I wasted 2 years trying to find courses so I decided to go back to the beginning:
September 2016 - GCSE Maths English Science & Additional Science.
September 2017 - Level 2 diploma in applied Science.
September 2018 AS level biology chemistry maths.
September 2019 A2 level biology chemistry maths.
Then hopefully to medical school for the 5 year degree.

Few colleges that I think do adult A level courses:
http://www.gloscol.ac.uk/
http://www.guildford.ac.uk/Home.aspx
http://www.wlc.ac.uk/

I'm sick of colleges referring us to the Access HE diploma, its our study and our own routes we pick not what they pick, good luck with your studies and I hope this helps!

but why will you do level 2 diploma if you are doing gcse science this yr?
Why is everyone looking to complicate this.

He should self study. Take A levels as a private (external) candidate (i.e. do not enrol at a college or sixth form who want GCSE rubbish). Just pay them to provide you a room to sit the exams. Apply to uni, get an offer and that's it.
Reply 22
Original post by null_geodesic
Why is everyone looking to complicate this.

He should self study. Take A levels as a private (external) candidate (i.e. do not enrol at a college or sixth form who want GCSE rubbish). Just pay them to provide you a room to sit the exams. Apply to uni, get an offer and that's it.

Ngl mate, thats not good advice.. Self study maybe suited for some and not for others. You are someone on the internet that doesn't know OP personally. I remember what it was like to get to uni and it definitely wasn't "apply to uni, get and offer and thats it".
Original post by danr2
but why will you do level 2 diploma if you are doing gcse science this yr?

Medical schools require like 5 GCSE's + and I'd only offer 4, with almost 8 I'd be in competitive places with school leavers spending 1 year and double the GCSE's grades / Equivalent will give me a strong foundation for A levels.
Reply 24
Medical schools require like 5 GCSE's + and I'd only offer 4, with almost 8 I'd be in competitive places with school leavers spending 1 year and double the GCSE's grades / Equivalent will give me a strong foundation for A levels.

oh ok. good luck!
Original post by the don
Ngl mate, thats not good advice.. Self study maybe suited for some and not for others. You are someone on the internet that doesn't know OP personally. I remember what it was like to get to uni and it definitely wasn't "apply to uni, get and offer and thats it".

Go back and look at the OP's initial post.

I'm 25 and want to take my A-levels, but have absolutely no GCSEs!

I have no doubt I can get straight A*s in the A-levels so that's no problem, however I don't know where you can go to do A-levels that doesn't have a GCSE requirement, and how to surpass it another way if they do.

What's the best way to do this?

He says straight A*'s not a problem. Doesn't have GCSE's.

If you are capable self study and private candidacy is the way to go. No GCSE's needed.
Reply 26
I'm in the similar boat buddy I was anxious about doing the Access to HE diploma too. What you need to do first is get some level 2 qualifications (GCSE A*-C level).
I would recommend getting a map of your location and looking within a 30 mile radius of every college in your area that offer part time courses for GCSE in at least Maths English & Science single/double award.
that way they should let you onto a level 3 programme Including A levels all though most colleges won't accept you because its designed for 16-19 year olds (utter ********).
so you have to find a college that accepts mature students for level 3 courses and you'd need a 24+ loan to cover fee's.

I wasted 2 years trying to find courses so I decided to go back to the beginning:
September 2016 - GCSE Maths English Science & Additional Science.
September 2017 - Level 2 diploma in applied Science.
September 2018 AS level biology chemistry maths.
September 2019 A2 level biology chemistry maths.
Then hopefully to medical school for the 5 year degree.

Few colleges that I think do adult A level courses:
http://www.gloscol.ac.uk/
http://www.guildford.ac.uk/Home.aspx
http://www.wlc.ac.uk/

I'm sick of colleges referring us to the Access HE diploma, its our study and our own routes we pick not what they pick, good luck with your studies and I hope this helps!

Good advice! lots of information and a long term plan. Can i ask why you have thrown out the idea of a access HE diploma? a few people at my Uni that did an access course and got on the medicine degree. OP is stressing about a Top Uni so i must stress that mine is in the Top 10. Although most people did get very good A level Grades here, nobody really cares about them once you get to uni, which is pretty ironic.

I hated A levels and struggled right through them. I almost felt like they were an unnecessary struggle, because exams come around so fast and are so intense. Whereas in Uni, you have time to prepare and understand and enjoy the content. A levels can be much more difficult if you've had a gap in education. I think to anyone, seek advice from old teachers, because they have the most sincere advice for you! most colleges are trying to make money these days!

Good Luck!
Original post by the don
Good advice!

That's only good advice if you want to piss away three years that are not needed.
Reply 28
Original post by null_geodesic
That's only good advice if you want to piss away three years that are not needed.

don't rush life. it's not about who finished first, it's about how well it was when you finished.. Access courses are not as good as colleges make it look like. if it was that good then they wouldn't ask for a level maths when applying to uni
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by King Scorchy
I'm hoping to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting.

There is no coursework for any of those subjects (as long as you avoid a couple of Maths options) so you could just teach yourself and then pay for the exams,

Are you sure that med schools would consider the diploma to be equivalent to GCSEs. I'd think it might well be the waste of a year.
Original post by danr2
don't rush life. it's not about who finished first, it's about how well it was when you finished.. Access courses are not as good as colleges make it look like. if it was that good then they wouldn't ask for a level maths when applying to uni

That isn't what was being discussed.
Original post by the don
Good advice! lots of information and a long term plan. Can i ask why you have thrown out the idea of a access HE diploma? a few people at my Uni that did an access course and got on the medicine degree. OP is stressing about a Top Uni so i must stress that mine is in the Top 10. Although most people did get very good A level Grades here, nobody really cares about them once you get to uni, which is pretty ironic.

I hated A levels and struggled right through them. I almost felt like they were an unnecessary struggle, because exams come around so fast and are so intense. Whereas in Uni, you have time to prepare and understand and enjoy the content. A levels can be much more difficult if you've had a gap in education. I think to anyone, seek advice from old teachers, because they have the most sincere advice for you! most colleges are trying to make money these days!

Good Luck!

I was bullied out of mainstream education from the age of 16, then I had a serious road accident and I don't want to work hard do an access course etc then trying to do medicine and Find out I haven't got the right qualifications, so If I spend the extra 1/2 years doing the correct route + grades It will allow me to go straight to medicine without messing around, and I've done absolutely loads of re-search on medical schools I've emailed the lot and asking the same questions for mature students etc, and they still want 5 GCSE's A*/A + 3 A levels AAA.

The Access course is a backup plan if things don't go the way I want them to. but I understand your point.
I was bullied out of mainstream education from the age of 16, then I had a serious road accident and I don't want to work hard do an access course etc then trying to do medicine and Find out I haven't got the right qualifications, so If I spend the extra 1/2 years doing the correct route + grades It will allow me to go straight to medicine without messing around, and I've done absolutely loads of re-search on medical schools I've emailed the lot and asking the same questions for mature students etc, and they still want 5 GCSE's A*/A + 3 A levels AAA.

The Access course is a backup plan if things don't go the way I want them to. but I understand your point.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you asked them specifically what they'd think of an Access Diploma? There's a course called Access to Medicine so at least some of them must accept Access Diplomas
In what way?

A levels are going through drastic changes atm where all exams are examined at the end of the 2 year course instead of the AS and A2 both making an A Level. The AS and A Level will now be a fully separate qualification, haven't you done any research or heard anything on the news about them? It is kind of a big deal imho.
Original post by redinthegrey
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you asked them specifically what they'd think of an Access Diploma? There's a course called Access to Medicine so at least some of them must accept Access Diplomas

Yes the access to medicine is specific for people who have like A levels Grade C-D
its a 1 year course its the same to the year '0' on the 6 year medicine course.
I'm looking to study medicine too and only have 3 as levels from 12 years ago which aren't in the correct subjects. I did want to do the access course but as it's during the day I will need to do a levels. I'm looking at studying Biology, chemistry and psychology as I'm hoping they will help in getting into med school as a mature student.
I notice that there is a post earlier about the a levels changing. Does this mean that I can't sit the AS Levels next year then or will I need to sit all the exams at the same time? Also are they subjects which you can study on your own or do I need to spend the £500 for the course materials and do distance learning?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by medmaturestudent
I'm looking to study medicine too and only have 3 as levels from 12 years ago which aren't in the correct subjects. I did want to do the access course but as it's during the day I will need to do a levels. I'm looking at studying Biology, chemistry and psychology as I'm hoping they will help in getting into med school as a mature student.
I notice that there is a post earlier about the a levels changing. Does this mean that I can't sit the AS Levels next year then or will I need to sit all the exams at the same time? Also are they subjects which you can study on your own or do I need to spend the £500 for the course materials and do distance learning?
Any advice would be appreciated.

if you have A levels like Grade B/C/D then try apply for the 6 year course its called medicine with foundation year 0 its for students/mature without correct grades, but have a levels, its a intensive 1 year course, allows you to progress to the standard 5 year course.
Original post by medmaturestudent
I'm looking at studying Biology, chemistry and psychology as I'm hoping they will help in getting into med school as a mature student.

You can study them on your own and just find a centre to take the exams - uyou have to do all 3 A level exams in the same exam season If you do take the AS exams they they don't contribute to the A level grade, just an AS grade. The problem lies with the practicals for Biology and Chemistry - you have to do 12 practicals over the duration of the course. How you do in them doesn't affect your overall grade but they are obligatory. As it's a new system there are very mixed messages about how this can be achieved for private candidates.
if you have A levels like Grade B/C/D then try apply for the 6 year course its called medicine with foundation year 0 its for students/mature without correct grades, but have a levels, its a intensive 1 year course, allows you to progress to the standard 5 year course.

I'm looking at studying at Sussex uni as its close to me but they don't offer a foundation year there that I can see. I'm going to see if they will accept me doing some open university courses instead

Quick Reply

Latest