The Student Room Group

Dilemma - Should I do the Level 1 or Level 2 Maths exam at college?

In two minds on which exam to do. I am currently at College and this is my first year doing Maths functional skills as I did not get a C in GCSE Maths at school. The dilemma is I could go for the Level 1 exam and pass it, but this is equivalent to a D/E grade at GCSE, am I right in thinking? Where as with the Level 2 I know it's equivalent to a GCSE C, which is what most employers want when going for jobs.

I spoke to my teacher and he says he's giving me L1 work, but on some occasions I get given the L2 work. I am mixed, because some of the harder stuff I might be able to do, but some of the simpler stuff can be a struggle at times. If I did the L1 and passed it I couldn't help thinking, could I of passed L2 instead, if that makes sense. Or similarly, if I do decide to do the L2 exam and fail it, that means I won't get a qualification in both L1 or L2.

In all honestly I do not want to do Maths lessons for another year. Just wanted a few of your own thoughts on this. I keep going over it in my mind but maybe you can help me come up with a clear decision. Thanks.
Original post by AleW
In two minds on which exam to do. I am currently at College and this is my first year doing Maths functional skills as I did not get a C in GCSE Maths at school. The dilemma is I could go for the Level 1 exam and pass it, but this is equivalent to a D/E grade at GCSE, am I right in thinking? Where as with the Level 2 I know it's equivalent to a GCSE C, which is what most employers want when going for jobs.

I spoke to my teacher and he says he's giving me L1 work, but on some occasions I get given the L2 work. I am mixed, because some of the harder stuff I might be able to do, but some of the simpler stuff can be a struggle at times. If I did the L1 and passed it I couldn't help thinking, could I of passed L2 instead, if that makes sense. Or similarly, if I do decide to do the L2 exam and fail it, that means I won't get a qualification in both L1 or L2.

In all honestly I do not want to do Maths lessons for another year. Just wanted a few of your own thoughts on this. I keep going over it in my mind but maybe you can help me come up with a clear decision. Thanks.

If you only take L2 and don't pass you won't get a L1 qualification.
Is there no option to try both?
Ask to take the L1 exam after Easter - they are not like gcse and can be taken more or less any time - and if you pass try the L2 before the end of term.
If you don't pass then try L1 again.

Quick Reply

Latest