The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Mature Students 2016 Entry (Nottingham)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katarvi
I'm exactly the same, I've lived in the same house and slept in the same room my whole life so I'm a bit scared to be leaving it on a long-term basis. As an introvert I think we need a lot of "down" time, time to ourselves to do what we do and be around our own stuff.. which is a worry at uni! My cousin is at York and she says she rarely gets a moment to herself, what with all her flat mates around constantly and lectures and clubs etc. I can see myself getting wiped out pretty quickly and not being able to go home to my own bed and sit with my pets is going to be hard. Do you have any pets? I think I'm going to miss them more than my family funnily enough!

That's the issue isn't it, I've always thought I'd like to be married and have a family around the age of 30 but I've had to throw all that out the window now I feel like because I will want to make us of my degree and have a career for a few years at least bit that conflicts with my family plans. I guess in the end though you can't predict when you'll have met the right person and be ready for marriage and kids, uni or not. It's good that you feel that way - it's definitely better to have waited and done the right degree than done it too young and made the wrong decisions. I agree, the American system seems better in some ways, though their fee system is ridiculous. I'm glad things aren't like that here.

I have a friend who is doing a Masters in Media atm, she was funded via a loan similar to the ones we use for undergrad study. Not sure on the specifics of it but I'm hoping funding for a Masters won't be an issue! Though who knows what will change in 3/4 years, maybe after that length of time we'll both be sick of education and student fees will be through the roof!

What kind of books do you like to read? I'm a huge book lover myself. :smile:

I got an email today inviting me for an interview at York. It's in less than two weeks and includes a 15 minute written assessment?! I'm bricking it!

I don't have pets, no. I used to have a bird and I would definitely have missed him. I guess you can't talk to pets on Skype as much as you can talk to family on there.

I love to read all kinds of things. I've been reading a lot of plays recently, but I've been through phases of reading mostly non-fiction (popular history books - nothing too dense), phases of reading the classics (I love the Bronte sisters), and then phases of just buying whatever looks good on Kindle and taking my chances (I found books like The Night Circus and A Tale for the Time Being through doing that, and they're some of my favourites now). What kind of books do you like? I'm always open to recommendations.

Congratulations on getting an interview! I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Original post by Sourestdeeds
If it helps I'm 30 when starting, let alone graduating haha.

I'm sure we'll look back at ourselves in ten years and wonder why we were ever worried.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by mscaffrey
I don't have pets, no. I used to have a bird and I would definitely have missed him. I guess you can't talk to pets on Skype as much as you can talk to family on there.

I love to read all kinds of things. I've been reading a lot of plays recently, but I've been through phases of reading mostly non-fiction (popular history books - nothing too dense), phases of reading the classics (I love the Bronte sisters), and then phases of just buying whatever looks good on Kindle and taking my chances (I found books like The Night Circus and A Tale for the Time Being through doing that, and they're some of my favourites now). What kind of books do you like? I'm always open to recommendations.

Congratulations on getting an interview! I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Yeah true! You can't explain to them what's going on either, all they know is that you were there one day and gone the next. :frown:

Oh nice! What history books do you read, any time period in particular? I'm really into British history and historical fiction myself. Ah have you read Wuthering Heights? Such a great classic! What genre do the ones you found on Kindle fall under? Personally I mostly read fantasy or historical fiction. I love the Game of Thrones books also, they are perhaps my favourite.

Thanks! I have to have a 15 minute written assessment which is a little worrying, I'm not too good at writing about things without preparation and I've no clue what they're going to ask me to write about. ><
Reply 22
Hi everyone,

I am potential mature student at Nottingham next year. I will be 28 if I get in/choose it as my offer. I applied on deadline day and I haven't heard anything from Nottingham yet and that worries me as it said on my acknowledgement email that they would let me know within one month so I am kind of thinking they are going to reject me.

I have applied for German and Philosophy. I have offers for similar programmes with Warwick and Manchester. But I would like an offer from Nottingham as it seems such a beautiful city and I like the course options.

I also dropped out of education previously due to ill health and its taken me this long to feel able to follow my dreams again. I am nervous because of being a mature student but I know that will make me work harder and I've heard they do put people of similar ages/personalities together in halls. :smile:
Reply 23
Another mature student here. I'll be 26 when I start in September.

I emailed them about mature accommodation and got a similar response that they'll house mature students together who request it.

So as long as enough of us request then we should get housed with other mature students.

I'm a bit disappointed by their accommodation from what I've seen. I'm after a studio ideally and they seem to have very few...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I'm another mature student (26) who will be attending The University of Nottingham from September studying International Relations. I was unimpressed with the university accommodation so I've put an advert up on spareroom.com and had a lot of responses from postgrad & young professional house shares that are more my thing with more space and the guarantee of people closer to my age group.

I feel so relieved to hear from more mature students :smile:
I think I must be super-mature, you're all spring chickens! I'll be 35 when I start in September, studying Humanistic Counselling and I'm beyond excited! I'll be moving myself and my daughters from Brighton to Nottingham so I can study... All feels very surreal as I've so much to organise. I won't be staying on site but definitely looking to be a short cycle away as I know traffic in Nottingham is a nightmare! 😉
I accepted cripps hall 2 weeks ago!
I was tempted to try and get on campus accommodation & really liked the look of cripps but I can't be vacating the property at Easter & Xmas because of work so I've got a postgrad/mature student house share in Beeston instead
I'm 26 and shall be studying engineering.

Anyone thought about societies? Probably the easiest way to meet like-minded people.
Reply 29
Funny you should mention societies! I was reading through this thread and just about to reply that I am a mature student currently at Nottingham (older than all of you!) I can't help much with accommodation questions as I live locally and commute, but I wanted to let you know that we have an active Mature Students' Network at UoN, that you will all be very welcome to join! If you are visiting the campus and want to meet for a cuppa or a beer just let me know. If not, I'll hopefully see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest