The Student Room Group

Which uni is best for conservation/ecology MSc courses?!?! Exeter/Imperial/Kent/UEA?

Hi,

I am currently trying to decide which MSc course to choose.

I have unconditional offers from University of Exeter for the Conservation and Biodiversity MSc and from UEA for the Applied Ecology and Conservation MSc.

I'm waiting to hear back from Imperial College for the Conservation Science MSc and from University of Kent for the Conservation Biology MSc.

I really really need opinions on what each course is like, you can only get a certain amount of insight from reading the descriptions on the internet.

Uni of Exeter is the most expensive (£11,500) but probably has the best reputation. However, my friend who is on the course said it is unorganised, he has too much spare time and doesn't think it is worth the £11,500 tuition.

Imperial is supposed to be have a good reputation as well, however the course description doesn't seem to match the descriptions of a couple of the current students that I have managed to talk to.

I have no idea what the UEA and Kent masters are like, other than the online descriptions.

If anyone has any experience of these courses or has heard about them or is in the same position as me or knows of any similar courses that I may have missed (Leeds?) or just has some advice on how I can find out about them in a bit more detail, please please comment and advise.

Thanks in advance guys! :smile:
Reply 1
I would say to wait until you hear back from all of them and then you can make a final decision.

Have you heard back from Imperial yet?
Reply 2
I would say just wait till you hear back from all of them and then make your decision.

Have you heard back from Imperial yet?
I've applied for Exeter too, but for the Conservation Policy and Ecology, which is pretty similar. Another massive bonus for Exeter that's swaying it for me is their new Environment and Sustainability Institute which has business mentors and more interactions of applying the stuff from lectures, through partnerships with local businesses :smile: hope this helps a little with the decision :smile:
Reply 4
I had the exact same decision to make between those courses at Imperial and Exeter, and I ended up choosing Exeter. It really depends on what you want out of the course. I am interested in research opportunities so I made my decision by looking at the teaching staff profiles on the two courses and looking at their areas of study. I am interested in marine conservation so when I discovered the professor at the Exeter course is heavily involved in marine research it swayed my decision. If you were more interested in networking and career development I think imperial will be better as the course has lots of links like Kew Gardens, ZSL and a wildlife trust... valuable networking. Imperial has a very good rep in international research and policy and is no less renowned than Exeter. Plymouth also have good courses you may have missed in environmental areas. Let me know what you decide :smile:
Original post by HTE23
Hi,

I am currently trying to decide which MSc course to choose.

I have unconditional offers from University of Exeter for the Conservation and Biodiversity MSc and from UEA for the Applied Ecology and Conservation MSc.

I'm waiting to hear back from Imperial College for the Conservation Science MSc and from University of Kent for the Conservation Biology MSc.

I really really need opinions on what each course is like, you can only get a certain amount of insight from reading the descriptions on the internet.

Uni of Exeter is the most expensive (£11,500) but probably has the best reputation. However, my friend who is on the course said it is unorganised, he has too much spare time and doesn't think it is worth the £11,500 tuition.

Imperial is supposed to be have a good reputation as well, however the course description doesn't seem to match the descriptions of a couple of the current students that I have managed to talk to.

I have no idea what the UEA and Kent masters are like, other than the online descriptions.

If anyone has any experience of these courses or has heard about them or is in the same position as me or knows of any similar courses that I may have missed (Leeds?) or just has some advice on how I can find out about them in a bit more detail, please please comment and advise.

Thanks in advance guys! :smile:

I'm in the same position - trying to decide between Kent and Imperial (I have offers from both). I think I'm going to go with Imperial due to its reputation and also because the smaller group size and interactive learning will benefit me I think. Finding it hard to make my final decision though - would love some insights from anyone who has experience of either of these courses!
if anyone has feedback of the biodiversity and conservation masters at University of Leeds would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending