The Student Room Group

How to get an A/A* at A2

Whaddupppp

So basically, I did modules C1,C2 and D1 last year and got a C (breakdown below)
C1 ... 79ums
C2 .... 65ums
D1 .... 58 ums

Im retaking all three + C3,C4 and S1

I really really really want an A*, any tips on how I can do it??!!

Thank You beforehand !!
Reply 1
Lots and lots of practice. Do all the past papers a couple of times and any other questions, and make sure to go over the past papers upon completion, and actually find out where you went wrong so you can improve on it!

Good luck though!
Reply 2
Original post by Mashpotato97
Whaddupppp

So basically, I did modules C1,C2 and D1 last year and got a C (breakdown below)
C1 ... 79ums
C2 .... 65ums
D1 .... 58 ums

Thank You beforehand !!

is your target realistic?
Reply 3
How much work did you do at AS? If not much, all you've gotta do is put a ton of work in this year..although much of it has already gone of course. Loads of past paper practice, loads of textbook questions, use examsolutions, make sure you understand things, memorise standard identities, look at mark schemes, just generally get stuck into the course..however if your C was in the wake of a decent amount of revision an A* might be out of reach. A couple of people in my class in school went from Cs to As I think (AS organisation was piss poor, two As, one B, one C, mostly Ds and below...) so that can certainly be done.
Reply 4
How are you finding C3 and C4 thus far?
If you're working at an A grade currently for those two C1 and C2 will be a guaranteed 90+ UMS (though you only need 80 for A* in C1 and C2). The extra UMS should guarantee yourself an A.

An A* is going to be hard to reach... I am trying for it myself. I have to reiterate what TeeEm said: do you think an A* is a realistic goal? If you didn't get along well with C1 and C2 you may struggle to get as far as the top 2% (ish) Maths students.

That said it is perfectly possible. Just grind through C3 and C4, of course not neglecting C1 and C2. Applied modules tend to just require practice, but for the Core modules more is needed - strive not to just know how to understand and answer questions but instead to actually understand the principles of Maths. That is all I can say, and though it's vague, it does have simple enough meaning.

Try AEA or MAT test papers - designed to make you think. Move on to STEP when you're ready (note that STEP is designed to make you feel bad; haha).

Best of luck!
Original post by Mashpotato97
Whaddupppp

C1 ... 79ums
C2 .... 65ums
D1 .... 58 ums

Thank You beforehand !!

I got pretty much the same as you and am aiming for the same.

C1 ... 77ums
C2 .... 65ums
D1 .... 58 ums

I'm only retaking C2 and D1 + C3, C4 and S1.

How are you finding C3, C4 and S1?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
is your target realistic?

I understand your point but its completely dependent upon how hard the individual is willing to work as well the time spent practicing maths as you mature/get better over time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I understand your point but its completely dependent upon how hard
the individual is willing to work as well the time spent practicing maths as you mature/get better over time.

there is no point... just a question.
Reply 8
Original post by Excuse Me!
I got pretty much the same as you and am aiming for the same.

C1 ... 77ums
C2 .... 65ums
D1 .... 58 ums

I'm only retaking C2 and D1 + C3, C4 and S1.

How are you finding C3, C4 and S1?

Ohh cool, Im in the 50's MARKS range so around the 70 ish ums for C3, C4 I've just finished so practice starts tomorrow and S1 is going good hbu??
What marks are required for an A* at Alevel? I understand that you need to get 90% in A2 and 80% overall but what do you need to get in the Additional modules for example M1 and S1?
Reply 10
Give up all social ties and work like a freaking machine
Original post by sos_
Give up all social ties and work like a freaking machine

Nice advice.
I highly recommend retaking C1 and C2:
The D1 exams for the past 3 years have become exponentially difficult (edexcel) so you will gain the most doing the core modules
Most school give you money back for your retake if you get a higher score so don't worry too much about the money

If you do edexcel get yourself a student login for Results Plus Direct from your school if you don't have one already
https://www.resultsplusdirect.co.uk/students/login.html

It will tell you which questions you need the most improvement in and which questions you did well on.

The most important thing you need to ask yourself is why didn't you get the grade you wanted last year?
Was it because of part time work, bad teachers, not enough work at home?

What is encouraging is the fact you posted here wanting to improve, which in itself is the first step to success. You need to care and be eager.

Remember if you don't understand something, always ask the teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest