The Student Room Group

German controlled assessment help URGENT

does the phrase "ich würde sagen das" (i would say that) in german make the second verb infinitive, and does it send it to the end?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes it makes sense.
Its accurate. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BrokenLife
Yes it makes sense.

so if you want to add more after that (I lead a healthy life) does lead become infinitive and goes to the end or not?? thx
Yes it makes sense.

Nah the 2nd verb gets sent to the end

Ich würde das sagen
Actually it depends on which "that" you are meaning to use. If it is just the sentence on its own "I would say that.", then sagen gets sent to the end b/c "that" is your article. [i assumed you meant this one b/c you said 'das', not 'dass']

But if you are saying the first part of a sentence "I would say that I am old", then you would be saying "Ich würde sagen, daß [note here you use the ß] ich alt bin"
Reply 5
Original post by Student403
Actually it depends on which "that" you are meaning to use. If it is just the sentence on its own "I would say that.", then sagen gets sent to the end b/c "that" is your article. [i assumed you meant this one b/c you said 'das', not 'dass']

But if you are saying the first part of a sentence "I would say that I am old", then you would be saying "Ich würde sagen, daß [note here you use the ß] ich alt bin"

ok, thx if so the final verb "bin" gets sent to the end, but isn't in the infinitive?
Original post by TreeFrog_137
so if you want to add more after that (I lead a healthy life) does lead become infinitive and goes to the end or not?? thx

What do you want to say? Can you type it in English? :smile:
Nah the 2nd verb gets sent to the end

Ich würde das sagen

Actually I'm a German and I would say it like that tbh. :/
Reply 7

I want to say "i would say that I lead a healthy lifestyle.

That would be correct if OP is adding a second part (which I suspect they are now - blame the das spelling :colonhash:)

I'm sure the first bit is correct can you look up and answer the other question? thx
So you want your whole sentence to be "I would say that I lead a healthy lifestyle"?
In this case you are using the wrong word. It should be dass/daß, not das (the). And yes the verb then gets sent to the back

So it would be "Ich würde sagen, daß ich eine _____ führe"
Reply 9
That would be correct if OP is adding a second part (which I suspect they are now - blame the das spelling :colonhash:)

So you want your whole sentence to be "I would say that I lead a healthy lifestyle"?
In this case you are using the wrong word. It should be dass/daß, not das (the). And yes the verb then gets sent to the back

So it would be "Ich würde sagen, daß ich eine _____ führe"

thx, lifesavers both of you... sorry about the spelling... :frown:
thx, lifesavers both of you... sorry about the spelling... :frown:

Dw about it! Good to learn the difference though cause it can change the meaning :biggrin:
I want to say "i would say that I lead a healthy lifestyle.

You would say 'Ich würde sagen, dass ich eine gesunde Lebensweise führe'.:h:
On an slightly unrelated note, how do you say "it is necessary to do so....."?
On an slightly unrelated note, how do you say "it is necessary to do so....."?

When you put the '....' at the end, what else are you thinking of adding on to that sentence?
When you put the '....' at the end, what else are you thinking of adding on to that sentence?

because it keeps you fit and healthy.
It depends on the context really.

"Ich wurde das sagen." seems right to me.
because it keeps you fit and healthy.

Es ist noetig um das zu tun = it is necessary to do so. Can you try the second part?

@BrokenLife should the um be there? ^
Es ist noetig um das zu tun = it is necessary to do so. Can you try the second part?

yeah, thanks, just unsure about the first half :smile:
yeah, thanks, just unsure about the first half :smile:

Alright cool :smile:

It depends on what you want to say but this way it sounds right to me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest