The Student Room Group

I got 100% in my EPQ, anyone want help?

Last year I got 50/50 in my EPQ in an Economics related topic, if anyone would require some help or guidance on any part of the process feel free to ask :smile:

- I no longer have the time to help (March, 2017)
- Look at the previous answers I have provided they might help
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatalieEXE
Last year I got 50/50 in my EPQ in an Economics related topic, if anyone would require some help or guidance on any part of the process feel free to ask :smile:

Hi I'm literally working on my epq right now, my tutor is so useless so can I just ask, apart from the actual essay what else do I need to produce? Plan? Log? Anything else? Thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by alicereynolds
Hi I'm literally working on my epq right now, my tutor is so useless so can I just ask, apart from the actual essay what else do I need to produce? Plan? Log? Anything else? Thanks!

When I did it, I printed literally everything off :smile:

Thorough Aims and Objectives

*Source Evaluation (when I critically analysed the sources I used I put them into this speadsheet)

*Extracted Information (where I extracted quotes from the sources and put them into this spreadsheet alongside the harvard reference of the quote)

*Contacts Page (I made a contacts page for all people I either contacted or was thinking of contacting - number, email, name, background of the person)

Sections of the essay/report I left out (massively optional, don't think I got credited for that)

*Visual Report Plan (spider diagram)

Presentation print outs (you should provide the printed off version of your presentation)

I did extra stuff, but that is partly why I got higher marks :smile: you can disregard the ones I put a star **** next too if it will be too much work, as they are not generally required.

I believe I have missed a few off, if I remember any I will let you know :smile: hope this helps a little
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow 50/50 That's amazing!! Well done!! ;D

Also, I was wondering if the glossary, sources page (ref and bibliography) and contents page will be included in the 5000 word account.
Reply 4
I have got to write an around a 4000 word essay on a title of my choosing (something that interests me) thought it has to be a question to be debated, we haven't been told about any of the other stuff you seem to have done but I admire the extra work and feel like I should do the same.

How did you go about choosing a title and do you have any extra tips that would help me obtain a high mark?

Cheers
Well done! My EPQ is supposed to be evaluating the support put into place for children with autism but with a really unhelpful teacher, its not going great.

What was your primary and secondary research? Did you interview anyone? I'm trying to find some right now, starting with the support workers at my school but I'm not sure who else to interview or what questions to ask apart form the obvious ones.
Reply 6

Hello, I'm beginning an EPQ on something economics related :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by yuveethini
Wow 50/50 That's amazing!! Well done!! ;D

Also, I was wondering if the glossary, sources page (ref and bibliography) and contents page will be included in the 5000 word account.

They shouldn't be included, neither should footnotes nor headings :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by rjbull
I have got to write an around a 4000 word essay on a title of my choosing (something that interests me) thought it has to be a question to be debated, we haven't been told about any of the other stuff you seem to have done but I admire the extra work and feel like I should do the same.

How did you go about choosing a title and do you have any extra tips that would help me obtain a high mark?

Cheers

How did I choose my title?
I chose the academic subject of Economics as I wished to study Economics at University, then I looked at universities I wanted to go to, then specifically the lecturers at that university and what they were interested in, what topics they picked for their academic work. However, all of this was too high level for me and I wasn't particularly interested in what they were interested in, so I went off on a tangent and googled 'Economics at University' which led me on to my topic area, as there was news articles which followed the same pattern of there being an issue with how economics was taught at universities. I made my own title up, but it was too vague and too much research would need to be done for the question title to be sufficiently answered, so I honed in on the question title until it was something that could be answered in more depth (more specific).

Extra tips: when using critical use, don't go for generic (what those people studied, their education) go into their background, political stance, academia's opinion of them (it will be more than other people will do)

Mix the creative with the logical, make a colourful mindmap with pictures and different colours (do it yourself, not on the computer) before the project has been taken place (mind map on your general topic and how you need to plan it) and before you write your essay (mind map on what you will include and the order of your report/essay)

Try and get it out of the way during the academic year, do not leave it to the end

Be as honest as possible when it comes to evaluating how you worked, if you found it challenging, if you couldn't be bothered to do any work on it that week because your other subjects were more important that week - say so, and say what you have learnt from it, the EPQ is a journey, they don't expect you to be the perfect student who met all their targets every week and did everything to 100% ability.

Hope that has helped :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Besotted_hatred
Well done! My EPQ is supposed to be evaluating the support put into place for children with autism but with a really unhelpful teacher, its not going great.

What was your primary and secondary research? Did you interview anyone? I'm trying to find some right now, starting with the support workers at my school but I'm not sure who else to interview or what questions to ask apart form the obvious ones.

I used entirely secondary research, surveys which students have gathered/podcast/video clips/academic reports/student reports...

I didn't interview anyone, as I didn't have enough time to do so, and there wasn't a massive need to do so, if you have the same time constraints put so in your research diary, something along the lines of 'I wish I had better time management skills as I feel if I had been more organised I could have found the time to interview nurses at my local hospital which would have allowed me to examine the free support for children with autism at a direct level which would have allowed my analysis to have been more...'

If you have the time to do more primary research, if you know anyone with autism and comfortable enough to talk with their parents I would do so in a telephone call/face to face interview/questionnaire. If there is any special equipment which helps either the carer or the child with autism improve, then this is a form of support, such as the 'hug machine' maybe get in touch with the company who supply the 'hug machine' or look at reviews on how the 'hug machine' and similar support machinery helps with their autistic child. You could look at how schools have adapted to consider autistic children, e.g. installing quiet areas.

Hope I have helped, can't help with questions at the minute as I don't know what you have already asked :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jamestg
Hello, I'm beginning an EPQ on something economics related :smile:

If you want any help picking a topic, let me know :smile:
I am starting my EPQ to do over summer and halfway into A2 and I want to base it on something related to economics. I have thought of a few ideas but I don't know if they are too broad or too narrow:

Would the living wage create economic growth?
Impact of the 2008 recession on small businessesin the UK.
Does migration help develop the UK economy?
Reply 12

I'm doing my EPQ on, ' How has the innovation of phones and their association with social media affected society?' , I was wondering what I should include in my power point. Thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by mazzilioo
I am starting my EPQ to do over summer and halfway into A2 and I want to base it on something related to economics. I have thought of a few ideas but I don't know if they are too broad or too narrow:

Would the living wage create economic growth?
Impact of the 2008 recession on small businessesin the UK.
Does migration help develop the UK economy?

Would the living wage create economic growth? - It isn't vague, but the question would require a lot of primary material which would be hard and strenuous to collect, I wouldn't pick this one - but if you already have ideas and feel comfortable doing so - go for it.

Impact of the 2008 recession on small businesses in the UK - I think this is specific which is great - I think there would be a good amount of information out there also

Does migration help develop the UK economy? - I think this is good and not too vague or narrow

Hope I have helped
Reply 14
Original post by srayogn
I'm doing my EPQ on, ' How has the innovation of phones and their association with social media affected society?' , I was wondering what I should include in my power point. Thanks!

First Slide: Title of your topic
Second slide: Why did you choose this topic?
Third: Aims and Objectives
Fourth: Project Journey (How you found sources and how you organised them)
Fifth: Problems you encountered during the project
Sixth: What you found out about your topic?
Seventh: Further Findings on your topic
Eighth: What you concluded from your report (what was your conclusion)
Ninth: Any Questions? (to ask the examiner)

That is the format I took, just elaborate on the journey you took and how you organised the research/your time and the report itself - take any order you feel comfortable with :smile:
Hope this helps!
Would the living wage create economic growth? - It isn't vague, but the question would require a lot of primary material which would be hard and strenuous to collect, I wouldn't pick this one - but if you already have ideas and feel comfortable doing so - go for it.

Impact of the 2008 recession on small businesses in the UK - I think this is specific which is great - I think there would be a good amount of information out there also

Does migration help develop the UK economy? - I think this is good and not too vague or narrow

Hope I have helped

Hi wow well done for getting 50/50!!!!:biggrin: What extra stuff did you do?x:smile: Also, do you think "How did some businesses do well in the recession?" is a good title? Does it need to be more specific?x:smile:
Hi, very well done in your achievement.

I am thinking of doing an EPQ on the lines of business, in particular marketing. Do you have any suggestions of what question I should go for?
Hi :smile:

Congrats on your result!
What advice do you have on completing the project log? how did you structure your log writing?

Thanks
Reply 18
I want to do Real Estate at Uni but am doing my EPQ on future cities and sustainability such as Songdo in South Korea, what do you think of that?
Hi
I just wanted to ask did you by any chance do a literature review / research report?
How did you structure it as i am struggling soo much
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest