The Student Room Group

Best a levels??

Hiya I need to pick my a levels however I haven't decided which I career I want to go into just yet so I'd like to keep my options as open as possible. I was thinking bio chemistry maths and one other

For the last one I'm trying to decide between economics or further maths to keep the option of going to study economics in uni open but which do you guys think is the best to keep my options open? Thank u in advance!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amjam441
Hiya I need to pick my a levels however I haven't decided which I career I want to go into just yet so I'd like to keep my options as open as possible. I was thinking bio chemistry maths and one other

For the last one I'm trying to decide between economics or further maths to keep the option of going to study economics in uni open but which do you guys think is the best to keep my options open? Thank u in advance!!!!

In terms of career, it doesn't really matter for IB what A Levels you do. I think Economics would be a nice variety to your other subjects. However, Further Maths would certainly keep all doors open in terms of university or exceptionally technical careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're considering doing maths at uni then further maths is a big advantage, however not always necessary, whereas economics for an economics degree is probably necessary (I don't know much about economics).
I'm in my second year studying Further maths and biology, (dropped chemistry last year)

If you're interested in an Econ degree, FM is an extremely useful A Level for the top unis - Cambridge, LSE etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sarahemilyglass
If you're considering doing maths at uni then further maths is a big advantage, however not always necessary, whereas economics for an economics degree is probably necessary (I don't know much about economics).
I'm in my second year studying Further maths and biology, (dropped chemistry last year)

You are only doing 2 A-Levels? Or do you also means maths aswell (bringing you up to 3)

--
OP i do economics and further maths (in Y12). If you want to do economics at uni it kinda is a no brainer that you should do economics, or business... further maths is only required to help with uni maths or if you just love maths and want to show off :biggrin:
Original post by tinkerbella~
If you're interest in an Econ degree, FM is an extremely useful A Level for the top unis - Cambridge, LSE etc.

Dont think cambridge does economics? I know oxford does economics and management but...
Original post by pereira325
Dont think cambridge does economics? I know oxford does economics and management but...

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics ?
You are only doing 2 A-Levels? Or do you also means maths aswell (bringing you up to 3)

--
OP i do economics and further maths (in Y12). If you want to do economics at uni it kinda is a no brainer that you should do economics, or business... further maths is only required to help with uni maths or if you just love maths and want to show off :biggrin:

I mean maths aswell yeah, doing the 3:smile:. I've really enjoyed furthers maths, even though I only took it because I couldn't think of another subject. Wasn't sure I liked maths at GCSE and now I've applied to do it at uni
Reply 8
maths, further Maths and additional further Maths ...
And for variety a bit of Physics

Wierd. Maybe i just ignored cambridge for some reason :tongue:

Original post by sarahemilyglass
I mean maths aswell yeah, doing the 3:smile:. I've really enjoyed furthers maths, even though I only took it because I couldn't think of another subject. Wasn't sure I liked maths at GCSE and now I've applied to do it at uni

Planning on doing maths, Fm and economics myself at a2. Think maths at uni might be pushing it though for me! Whole other ballgame.

Original post by TeeEm
maths, further Maths and additional further Maths ...
And for variety a bit of Physics

Hahaha hope you are being funny. Btw how do people actually do additional further maths. It seems very rare
Reply 10

Hahaha hope you are being funny. Btw how do people actually do additional further maths. It seems very rare

Not as rare as you think .... Think about mathematicians which go to Cambridge!
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

Supreme.
Reply 12

Quite a few people do it - it's nothing more than taking 3 extra maths modules (for the AS) and 6 extra (for the A-Level) so basically doing all 18 modules for the full AFM A-Level.
Wierd. Maybe i just ignored cambridge for some reason :tongue:

Just casually forgetting about possibly (probably) the best uni in the country to do an Economics degree :rolleyes:
whatever you like :smile:
Choose any combo that also includes Maths. Your choices at this stage should solely be geared towards applying to a degree (any traditional one) that piques your interest. Aim for the best universities (targets/semi-targets) possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course Cambridge has one. Why did you think it didn't? Their econ course is also a lot more well known and world renowned than Oxford's econ and management course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Thanks so much for the replies! The general opinion is that I should go for economics right? Also if I studied another degree at a target maybe chemistry then I should still be able to get into IB? And economics a level should be a decent background when applying for a job (Compared to nothing) for IB?
Reply 18
Also if I studied another degree at a target maybe chemistry then I should still be able to get into IB?

Don't know about the rest but this is a definite yes.
I'd recommend something more different for the 4th one to give you some variety.

What about a language or history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending