The Student Room Group

Is 5 AS levels too much?

Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
I think 5 is overkill. I'm taking 4 for AS and 3 for A2. Also bare in mind that you only need a minimum of 3 A2's to get into most universities. However, if you feel you can put in the work to do 5, go ahead. But trust me, the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels is IMMENSE.
AS levels are going to be near non-existent for people starting sixth form this September and beyond...
no one can tell you whether its too much, if you want to do all 5 give it a go and if its too much work you can always drop one of them
Reply 4
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mayhem™
AS levels are going to be near non-existent for people starting sixth form this September and beyond...

What do you mean? Enlighten me what's this news I haven't heard of, I'm sure it'll still be A levels but slightly different ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mayhem™

What do you mean??
Reply 7
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by typicalstudent1
What do you mean??

Exactly, what does he mean? Enlighten us wise one kinobe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilyKitty
I think that they are getting rid of as so u can only do full courses in most subject though some will still have as. But not entirely sure as our sixth form stuff isn't all too clear.

Ohhh I knew that, not sure why I got confused haha, thanks :smile:
I have a friend that does 5 As-levels and it's pretty much down to your own judgement. If you were barely scraping it into 6th form I would strongly recommend you would not do this however, looking at your grades and how enthusiastic you are I would say you are more than capable of doing this, the workload does increase however. Universities (I assume this is the path you would like to take) would prefer you to do outstanding' 4 A's rather than 3 A's and 2 B's' so that's another thing you must consider. I would just also like to note as a physics and further maths student myself, these are two of the hardest subjects so do not underestimate the time you must put into these. Really all im saying is just make sure five As levels is what you really want to do, and if you are convinced that you can handle it, go for it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
There is really no point doing 5 AS levels - it won't give you any advantage in terms of uni. You are better off focussing on 4 subjects and ensuring you can get the best grade possible rather than giving yourself extra work unnecessarily.
Original post by Jenx301
There is really no point doing 5 AS levels - it won't give you any advantage in terms of uni. You are better off focussing on 4 subjects and ensuring you can get the best grade possible rather than giving yourself extra work unnecessarily.

See that's where taking the extra subject may be advantageous. It will give you so many different paths in the future, but I must re-emphasize you need to do as well in all 5 as levels, as you would do if you were taking 4. There's no point taking an extra one for your other grades to end up falling. But you seem enthusiastic so I don't see a problem. :smile:
If you think you stand a good chance of getting 5As and getting into Oxbridge, go for 5. If not, go for 4, is my advice. Doing 5 AS doesn't really give you much of an advantage anywhere else.
AAA is better than CCCDD
Do 3-4.

Take up the rest as hobbies.

Free periods are bliss in 6th form.
Original post by JordanAdam
See that's where taking the extra subject may be advantageous. It will give you so many different paths in the future, but I must re-emphasize you need to do as well in all 5 as levels, as you would do if you were taking 4. There's no point taking an extra one for your other grades to end up falling. But you seem enthusiastic so I don't see a problem. :smile:

How would 5 subjects give her any advantage?
Reply 18
I think 5 at A2 would be overkill, but at AS its alright for some people. I know a couple of people who did it (both 3 sciences + further maths) and enjoyed it. To be fair though it doesn’t give you any advantage at uni so depends why you want to do it really.

Quick Reply

Latest