The Student Room Group

Did you have a happy childhood?

Scroll to see replies

That was the worst part of my life that I wish I could just forget...
Reply 61
No, it was terrible for me :frown:
Yes,I definitely enjoyed my childhood years
It was good up until the age of 12 when I became quite depressed that I couldn't do all the things my friends were doing

Better now though, I only have the future to look forward too
I had a nice childhood - some embarrassing moments and some bad ones but overall I can look back and smile :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by AMaster1
I'll ditto that

:lovehug:
Original post by RivalPlayer
Crystal ball says World War III is coming.

I say I'm moving to Mars ;_;
Nah, it was awful. I might be over it now and can think and talk about it without bursting into tears, but 12 years of childhood trauma and depression have left me with very poor health. Mental stress has weakened my immune system. I've developed several chronic and autoimmune diseases that diminish my quality of life. But oh well.. At least I'm mentally stable now. Just gotta deal with my social anxiety and awkwardness.

Tbh that's why I've got rigorous interest in psychosomatic medicine and have chosen a career in the medical field lol
Original post by enaayrah
It was good up until the age of 12 when I became quite depressed that I couldn't do all the things my friends were doing

Better now though, I only have the future to look forward too

You must be laughing your ass off right now, Ena. :tongue:
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot
Nah, it was awful. I might be over it now and can think and talk about it without bursting into tears, but 12 years of childhood trauma and depression have left me with very poor health. Mental stress has weakened my immune system. I've developed several chronic and autoimmune diseases that diminish my quality of life. But oh well.. At least I'm mentally stable now. Just gotta deal with my social anxiety and awkwardness.

Tbh that's why I've got rigorous interest in psychosomatic medicine and have chosen a career in the medical field lol

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope it's only getting better for you now :hugs:

Original post by Hodor_van_Groot
You must be laughing your ass off right now, Ena. :tongue:

I wish I could say that but I can't help but feel like I've missed such a significant part of simply being a teenager. Ah well
Original post by enaayrah
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope it's only getting better for you now :hugs:

I wish I could say that but I can't help but feel like I've missed such a significant part of simply being a teenager. Ah well

Ayyy thanks :hugs:

Dw, you're not alone. :console: I feel the same.
I never got to do all those things in my childhood other kids did. Could neither be a child nor a teen due to the things that were happening at that time.

Just hope we don't get so obsessed with this feeling that we turn into Michael Jacksons.

*spins and grabs balls* SHAMONA *moonwalks away to Neverland*

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that I can't remember nearly all of my childhood (well, what a typical person should remember from their childhood) and all the memories I do have are the negative ones, speaks volumes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
No.

It definitely still affects me to this day and I think it'll always be with me - my childhood isn't something I can ever change, but I can control my future and do my best to make sure the times I have from now are positive. I'll be damned if I let my parents' failings dictate the rest of my life.

Original post by Hydeman
No, unfortunately. I spend most of my days wishing I could start my life all over again.

:hugs:

You definitely deserved a lot more than that and it's admirable that - despite not getting to have what you deserved - you've managed to turn out a rather amazing person regardless. :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by acupofgreentea
No.

It definitely still affects me to this day and I think it'll always be with me - my childhood isn't something I can ever change, but I can control my future and do my best to make sure the times I have from now are positive. I'll be damned if I let my parents' failings dictate the rest of my life.

You definitely deserved a lot more than that and it's admirable that - despite not getting to have what you deserved - you've managed to turn out a rather amazing person regardless. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by acupofgreentea
No.

Thank you, you're very kind. :h:
At the time I thought it was happy but that’s because I didn’t know anything different. My mum used to physically and emotionally abuse me. My dad used to verbally abuse me. They’ve both become better people now and my mum hasn’t hit me since I was 13. Before then, she hadn’t hit me in a good few years either. I didn’t realise I was being abused - heck, I didn’t even know what abuse was. I had forgotten all about the abuse until I was 13 and I was hit again and it brought all the memories back and I was in disbelief that my mum had done all those things. I can never forgive my mum fully for what she had done. As I child I clinged to her so much and always told her I loved her, that was probably just my subconscious attempt to get attention or to try and stay on her good side. Then when I was 16, she had a 10 month long affair and so my parents split up. It was a difficult time. It’s still difficult today, what with my dad having a girlfriend and all that. I did have happy times too though. Good friends, a good school, good holidays. I was probably quite priveleged - I got to have horses, go on holiday, live in a nice house in a nice area. If it hadn’t been for the abuse I’d say I had a happy childhood, but unfortunately that ruins it all :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending