The Student Room Group

MSc Management LSE v Warwick v Imperial v Cass

I have offers from LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Cass for their MSc Management programmes. I did my undergrad outside UK, so I don't know too much about these schools, so I don't have a clear preference yet. If possible, I would like to work in the UK for a few years before I go back to my home country.

Would appreciate if you could tell me the pros and cons of these schools. I am interested in the relative employment prospects of their grads, in general - I don't know exactly what I want to do yet. Probably consultancy.

Time and cost are my concerns too. CASS and Warwick have offered me a scholarship, making them the cheapest option. LSE's programme is the most expensive AND an extra year long (but may have a chance to study at the prestigious business universities in Europe or US such as Cornell University, HEC Paris, McCombs School of Business...)

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ultimately only you can decide this - because what anyone else thinks is 'good' or 'important' will not be the same as your priorities.

In terms of future employment, any program that definitely contains time abroad is an enormous plus, but if this is only a possibility then you have to weigh up the cost over that chance. Aside from that, always, ALWAYS go on 'course content' - what interests you and what you enjoy studying.
Original post by hesheit
I have offers from LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Cass for their MSc Management programmes. I did my undergrad outside UK, so I don't know too much about these schools, so I don't have a clear preference yet.

Would appreciate if you could tell me the pros and cons of these schools. I am interested in the relative employment prospects of their grads, in general - I don't know exactly what I want to do yet. Probably consultancy.

Time and cost are my concerns too. CASS and Warwick have offered me a scholarship, making them the cheapest option. LSE's programme is the most expensive AND an extra year long (but may have a chance to study at the prestigious business universities in Europe or US such as Cornell University, HEC Paris, McCombs School of Business...)

Thank you!

First question is: do you think you will be doing an MBA at some stage in your career? If so, it shouldn't matter where you go at this stage. If not, I would go with the places that offer the scholarship but if you can afford it and don't mind spending the money, LSE's program is very impressive. An old classmate did it in 2013 and loved it (works in M&A now).
LSE>Imperial>the rest
if you think 2 years is too long Imperial
if not LSE
If money is an object Warwick not much worse than either and no debt/costs ftw.
Coming for the U.S., name recognition is a big consideration for me. LSE is more well-known here, I’ve definitely heard of Warwick and Imperial. For what it's worth, I haven't heard much about CASS ever before.

So I would say LSE, Imperial, and Warwick are considered a lot better than Cass. Please don’t hate me, people from cass. (though it is still possible to get a job after Cass, just harder. If you are not holding uk/eu passport, then you should be planning to go back to your own country after graduation. If you cannot work in the UK, I would recommend you that international brand-name should be your biggest concern. For example I know Cass is not that well-known overseas.). (btw if you are good enough, LBS is considered extremely well also).

As for LSE, if you feel it could be in any way financially feasable, go for it. It is the best college in the UK for financial roles, as for other good paying business jobs, its probably tied with Oxbridge, but still considered excellent. They are more selective because they get a lot more applications from around the world. IMO a good degree from there is like gold in the UK.
To be honest, I think studying MSc management programmes is definitely not worth the money (especially for those who have studied business for their degree)

Only Oxbridge and LSE are good, if you really want to do masters. But if you ask my opinion, I would say LSE, Imperial/Warwick Business School (WBS) and then Cass.

I graduated from WBS and I am working in London now and I know a lot of people from Warwick get jobs in investment bankings, finance and consultancy. I know people have always compared WBS with Cass Business School. But a lot of rankings show that Warwick is better. The Economist ranks the Warwick the best in the UK and 5th in Europe. There's a Wharton-Warwick tie-up program. (Wharton is one of the top 3 business schools in the US. Harvard and Stanford are the other 2). As far as I know, Warwick is the only university in the UK that has an undergraduate exchange programme (business stream) with Wharton.

I have to agree with jasonchen101 that Cass is not really globally well-known (yet) and it would be hard for you to find a job if you graduate from Cass especially you say you're an international student. From my experience, people in the industry would have heard of Cass, but they tend to recruit graduates from OxBridge, LSE, Imperial and Warwick first.

Of course LSE is the best, and will put you at an advantage when it comes to job hunting. I would say in terms of business school, Warwick is definitely better than Cass for sure, and may be better than Imperial. Imperial is better than Cass, because Imperial is imperial.

Still, I think studying MSc Management programmes is absolutely not worth the money.
Not Management.

Here are some of the rankings:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
LSE - 3rd
Imperial - 4th
Warwick - 7th
Cass - 41st

Business and management studies
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business%20%26%20Management%20StudiesLSE - 3rd
Warwick - 4th
Cass - 18th
To be honest, I think studying MSc management programmes is definitely not worth the money (especially for those who have studied business for their degree)

Only Oxbridge and LSE are good, if you really want to do masters. But if you ask my opinion, I would say LSE, Imperial/Warwick Business School (WBS) and then Cass.

I graduated from WBS and I am working in London now and I know a lot of people from Warwick get jobs in investment bankings, finance and consultancy. I know people have always compared WBS with Cass Business School. But a lot of rankings show that Warwick is better. The Economist ranks the Warwick the best in the UK and 5th in Europe. There's a Wharton-Warwick tie-up program. (Wharton is one of the top 3 business schools in the US. Harvard and Stanford are the other 2). As far as I know, Warwick is the only university in the UK that has an undergraduate exchange programme (business stream) with Wharton. I have to agree with jasonchen101 that Cass is not really globally well-known (yet) and it would be hard for you to find a job if you graduate from Cass especially you say you're an international student. From my experience, people in the industry would have heard of Cass, but they tend to recruit graduates from OxBridge, LSE, Imperial and Warwick first. Of course LSE is the best, and will put you at an advantage when it comes to job hunting. I would say in terms of business school, Warwick is definitely better than Cass for sure, and may be better than Imperial. Imperial is better than Cass, because Imperial is imperial.

Still, I think studying MSc Management programmes is absolutely not worth the money. Not Management.

Here are some of the rankings: (from the latest complete university guide website - the forum doesn't allow me to post the link)
LSE - 3rd
Imperial - 4th
Warwick - 7th
Cass - 41st

Business and management studies
LSE - 3rd
Warwick - 4th
Cass - 18th
I did Cass management and I seriously ask you should think twice.
If you did a business undergraduate, I don’t think it’s worthwhile to do a management master. Buss pro 123 is right. I would say, Cass may be the worst among four of them. It’s true that Cass hasn’t got a good reputation as the others.

Cass - you will struggle to get interviews at top firms, especially with the current situation here in London. To be honest, it takes me forever to get a job, a small firm outside London and not most of the graduates can get a job so please don’t trust the ads on cars business school. We struggle to get jobs. Do not forget that you’re not a British.

I would also inform you that at Cass you are not going to enjoy London since cass promote the group works and you are going to do a lot of courseworks during the three terms. Maybe you cannot imagine what I am saying but you will spend most of your time not reading for the exams but doing courseworks. (which I think it’s not good).

For Imperial, as I have seen from some friends, the things are much more easy and not so many courseworks. (the imperial name will get you further)

LSE Imperial and Warwick have overall a better reputation (at least 3 of them are top 10 universities in the UK) than Cass as was already said.

I told you LSE has the best name. It is a Brand Name. If you want to stay in London for work choose LSE, then Imperial, then Warwick, then Cass. Imperial has a better name because is the Imperial. Warwick is the top tier Business School in the world. Cass is part of City University, which is ‘okay’ as a university (if you know what i mean). If you want to work in London, in my opinion, do NOT choose cass, because people who do not work in the industry believe that is not as good as imperial, or even Warwick.
Hey mate did u take gmat exam for LSE masters in management?
Reply 9
Original post by hesheit
I have offers from LSE, Imperial, Warwick, Cass for their MSc Management programmes. I did my undergrad outside UK, so I don't know too much about these schools, so I don't have a clear preference yet. If possible, I would like to work in the UK for a few years before I go back to my home country.

Thank you!

May I ask whay your profile is like? I mean what are your grades/gre/gmat? When did you apply for the Warwick course? I am just asking because I am curious to see if I would be lucky enough to secure a WBS scholarship, as I am struggling financially.
Reply 10
Original post by Vallern
May I ask whay your profile is like? I mean what are your grades/gre/gmat? When did you apply for the Warwick course? I am just asking because I am curious to see if I would be lucky enough to secure a WBS scholarship, as I am struggling financially.

I can help with your query. I applied in for Msc Management to Cass, Warwick and Cranfield. Got offers from all, just firmed Warwick.
I did Bachelors (Business) from Heriot Watt Edinburgh just finished in May 2016 and got in CGPA 3.7 with Upper second class honors degree and never did GMAT. And have 3 Internships in MNCs of UAE. Rest warwick has offered me 25% of scholarship within my offer letter.
Warwick has huge scholarships so they offered me even based on academics and even a closed friend of mine even, on academics only. So i hope you would be successful for scholarship. Best Wishes
Original post by Ellia T
I can help with your query. I applied in for Msc Management to Cass, Warwick and Cranfield. Got offers from all, just firmed Warwick.
I did Bachelors (Business) from Heriot Watt Edinburgh just finished in May 2016 and got in CGPA 3.7 with Upper second class honors degree and never did GMAT. And have 3 Internships in MNCs of UAE. Rest warwick has offered me 25% of scholarship within my offer letter.
Warwick has huge scholarships so they offered me even based on academics and even a closed friend of mine even, on academics only. So i hope you would be successful for scholarship. Best Wishes

Thanks for your reply! I reckon my chances are good. One final question, did u apply in may for warwick?
Reply 12
Original post by Vallern
Thanks for your reply! I reckon my chances are good. One final question, did u apply in may for warwick?

Yes, i applied on 6th may and got in offer on 31st may (I guess i was lucky enough to get offer letter within 3 weeks), although one of my close friend applied to Warwick on 12 april but got offer on 10th June, 2016.

If you have any other queries, do ask, hoping i can help you out.
I agree with Jasonchen101 and Bussprof123 and most people here tbh. LSE, Warwick and Imperial and much stronger than CASS. The previous comments mentioned strong points, however in regards to international study- have you seen Warwick's connections? http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/northameri...sion/visiting/ & http://www.wbs.ac.uk/wbs2012/assets/...r%20Abroad.pdf They have loads! I know so many people who came from the Ivies/ other strong unis. And on top, they're opening a California campus soon too! If you want an exchange/study abroad programme, there are many! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest