The Student Room Group

Please David, don't do this to our schools!?!!

Now they have changed the grades to numbers. I don't have a problem with that. But scrapping coursework? Come really? I mean REALLY? whose bright idea was that? For my degree, sure i have sat a couple of exams, but most of my work has been evidence based. And by that i mean presentations and coursework. By stripping this component from the gcse curriculum David cameron and his government has done the children of our country a great disservice imho!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
everyone cheats on coursework anyway so there's no point :/ (and it's not fair ¬_¬)
then the stats come back as britain is classed to have the lowest scoring students in the developed world WHY...OH I WONDER... WOULD IT HAVE TO DO WITH POLITICIANS...WHO'S KIDS DON'T NEED GRADES IN ANY FORM AS THEY PARENTS WILL HELP THEM OUT WITH THE FAMILY'S MILLIONS HIDDEN OFFSHORE...AS THEY COULDN'T STOP TAPPING ON THE GLASS OF THE EDUCATIONAL FISHTANK AND IT WILL BEFORE LONG KILL THE FISH AND HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN
Reply 3
coursework is much closer to a degree education than 100% exams, im afraid
Original post by john2054
Now they have changed the grades to numbers. I don't have a problem with that. But scrapping coursework? Come really? I mean REALLY? whose bright idea was that? For my degree, sure i have sat a couple of exams, but most of my work has been evidence based. And by that i mean presentations and coursework. By stripping this component from the gcse curriculum David cameron and his government has done the children of our country a great disservice imho!!!

The new GCSE have already started for maths, English language and English literature. Many if not most year 9 students are already working towards the new specifications in the other subjects that transition in September. Practical tests and controlled assessments are still part of some subjects where they are essential to testing knowledge or skill. Regardless of the merit of coursework as an assessment method, the train has left the station. Your campaign is too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jamesthehustler
then the stats come back as britain is classed to have the lowest scoring students in the developed world WHY...OH I WONDER... WOULD IT HAVE TO DO WITH POLITICIANS...WHO'S KIDS DON'T NEED GRADES IN ANY FORM AS THEY PARENTS WILL HELP THEM OUT WITH THE FAMILY'S MILLIONS HIDDEN OFFSHORE...AS THEY COULDN'T STOP TAPPING ON THE GLASS OF THE EDUCATIONAL FISHTANK AND IT WILL BEFORE LONG KILL THE FISH AND HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

No they don't... Britain is 6th in world clas education while USA is 14th... what planet are you on?
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
The new GCSE have already started for maths, English language and English literature. Many if not most year 9 students are already working towards the new specifications in the other subjects that transition in September. Practical tests and controlled assessments are still part of some subjects where they are essential to testing knowledge or skill. Regardless of the merit of coursework as an assessment method, the train has left the station. Your campaign is too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can see the problem with cheating at coursework level. just to say that this is generally picked up at on at undergraduate level. i say generally, because i have myself witnessed it happening even there. But hey this is capitalism, who is to say a little bit of initiative shouldn't stand in for a lot of hard work??

choo choo
He's done it because he wants all students to work harder and therefore get better grades, so we can compete overall with countries like Asia etc. Other than that, what's the benefit? It's seriously stripping kids away from their childhood, as soon as they get in year 7 now it's all about mocks and exams (I actually read through a year 7 geography exam they're being made to do and it was talking about contour lines, converting grid references, case studies) and my sister who is in year 8 is already learning about lipase and how it breaks down fats into lipids and such and it's just such a mess.

YES educate children, YES a test should determine whether you are able to go to university or not, NO to making it so difficult and putting so much stress on kids. People aren't going to be able to get jobs etc in the future because they'll all be looking for students fresh out of university, so poverty is going to increase and the amount of people claiming benefits is going to increase. It's just a mess
Original post by ckfeister
No they don't... Britain is 6th in world clas education while USA is 14th... what planet are you on?

not yet but it will happen as we go backwards as the east comes forwards in line with the rapid development growth in the majority of eastern countries over the past few years
not yet but it will happen as we go backwards as the east comes forwards in line with the rapid development growth in the majority of eastern countries over the past few years

Britain will be 4th economic by 2035 what you on about? UK education is going under mass reforms.
Britain will be 4th economic by 2035 what you on about? UK education is going under mass reforms.

you believe what the government is spoon feeding you and when you realise the truth it will be too late
you believe what the government is spoon feeding you and when you realise the truth it will be too late

You are a strange kid. I'm netural on labour and conservatives because they like to brainwash people. The 2030 prediction is from economic prediction NOT government. The education changes will make our standards as high as South Korea. I don't knwo what planet your on.
You are a strange kid. I'm neutral on labour and conservatives because they like to brainwash people. The 2030 prediction is from economic prediction NOT government. The education changes will make our standards as high as South Korea. I don't know what planet you're on.

i'm on a planet called realism, suck it up cupcake
who controls everything

the government and banks run by the rockefellers and rothschilds i mean just do some research it's rather concerning
who controls everything

the government and banks run by the rockefellers and rothschilds i mean just do some research it's rather concerning

Oh your a harden person, who thinks everything is negative and deals with it. I'm the same except I think positive and negative then conclude.

If you would like some facts, Britain is going though mass reforms upto South Korea standards in both A-Level and GCSEs, so IGCSE would be easier than GCSE, wait.. wasn't that the other way round in 2008? USA system is modular with biased corrupt system of cheating and same answers, how can you say Britain isn't progressing? We are forever changing our system and we are in fact on the highest IQs.

https://iq-research.org/en/page/average-iq-by-country

We are currently 7th, rising up since conservatives have came into power, lets not forget we not in recession unlike our neighbour and growing faster too. We are in the perfect position at the current moment we got military airraft carriers in make and like 140 jets too. We are forever rising. As long as labour is out, we are safe and will continue to rise.

PS. New GCSEs is O-Level standard.
who controls everything

Also, government doesn't control everything, it has regulations to prevent any corruption that would cause our economic to fall behind. It was labour who did mass nationisation. Conservatives privatised.
Reply 15
Coursework is cancer

/thread

It really is silly..
Reply 17

Oh yeah, let me scrap all my A-Level exams because when I'm studying maths at uni, it'll all be coursework based. :rolleyes: Do you even hear yourself?

That's simply not true. Coursework at GCSE and A level standard is simply an invitation to cheat, for teachers to overstep their boundaries and to inflate grades because they know that most coursework marks will not be externally moderated. Coursework at that level is by no means an accurate representation of student's abilities because you simply cannot trust the system. They got rid of coursework in Maths in 2008 for this reason, cheating was so widespread that the coursework element was meaningless.
Also, government doesn't control everything, it has regulations to prevent any corruption that would cause our economic to fall behind. It was labour who did mass nationisation. Conservatives privatised.

Oh your a harden person, who thinks everything is negative and deals with it. I'm the same except I think positive and negative then conclude.

If you would like some facts, Britain is going though mass reforms upto South Korea standards in both A-Level and GCSEs, so IGCSE would be easier than GCSE, wait.. wasn't that the other way round in 2008? USA system is modular with biased corrupt system of cheating and same answers, how can you say Britain isn't progressing? We are forever changing our system and we are in fact on the highest IQs.

https://iq-research.org/en/page/average-iq-by-country

We are currently 7th, rising up since conservatives have came into power, lets not forget we not in recession unlike our neighbour and growing faster too. We are in the perfect position at the current moment we got military airraft carriers in make and like 140 jets too. We are forever rising. As long as labour is out, we are safe and will continue to rise.

PS. New GCSEs is O-Level standard.

i give up trying as you are far to believing and positive better to be negative and real the positive and airheaded

Quick Reply

Latest