The Student Room Group

Bristol or Loughborough?

Greetings !

I was wondering guys whether anyone could inform me by experience or have heard anything about Bristol and Loughborough. Specifically i just got accepted by the two following programs :
1) Msc Sport and exercise nutrition from Loughborough Uni
2) Msc in nutrition , physical activity and public health from Bristol Uni

I am having a hard time on deciding which option is best..
Regarding that my background had to do with human nutrition and dietetics i am interested in nutrition and health related subjects but i also love sports-exercise myself so i decided to combine them somehow... I am aware of the differences of the two programs but I would like ti know if anyone has been or heard about any uni's reputation.. I am planning to staying in UK for the following years so job prospect is of major concern of mine..

All opinions accepted, thank you very much in advance for listening..
Original post by Anna Kal
Greetings !

I was wondering guys whether anyone could inform me by experience or have heard anything about Bristol and Loughborough. Specifically i just got accepted by the two following programs :
1) Msc Sport and exercise nutrition from Loughborough Uni
2) Msc in nutrition , physical activity and public health from Bristol Uni

I am having a hard time on deciding which option is best..
Regarding that my background had to do with human nutrition and dietetics i am interested in nutrition and health related subjects but i also love sports-exercise myself so i decided to combine them somehow... I am aware of the differences of the two programs but I would like ti know if anyone has been or heard about any uni's reputation.. I am planning to staying in UK for the following years so job prospect is of major concern of mine..

All opinions accepted, thank you very much in advance for listening..

Loughborough is incredible for sport - it's number one in the UK. It also has a lovely community feel and I have friends who studied their undergrad and then made the decision to live their long-term.

In terms of job prospects Loughborough is home to a lot of Sport England teams and other national sport associations it is also very close to Birmingham and Manchester which also both have impressive sport facilities and UK teams are also based there. But is does depend on your passion too. The Loughborough MSc sounds ideal if you want to work with performance athletes or similar, the Bristol version feels more general based on its title.

I actually went to Birmingham but played a lot of sport which is why I know a fair bit about Loughborough. My friend also did their postgraduate at Loughborough (we studied together at Brum) and loved it there, actually more so than Birmingham.
Reply 2
Dear She-Ra thanks a lot for your informative answer.

Since you've been to Lough , what about life there? I've heard its a small town-like a village. I have also heard it is know for students union and friendly environment but not that good regarding the teachers help in finding jobs etc. Do you also happen to know specifically for the nutrition program anything? How good is it or applied into sports..?

Thanks again in advance

In terms of job prospects Loughborough is home to a lot of Sport England teams and other national sport associations it is also very close to Birmingham and Manchester which also both have impressive sport facilities and UK teams are also based there. But is does depend on your passion too. The Loughborough MSc sounds ideal if you want to work with performance athletes or similar, the Bristol version feels more general based on its title.

I actually went to Birmingham but played a lot of sport which is why I know a fair bit about Loughborough. My friend also did their postgraduate at Loughborough (we studied together at Brum) and loved it there, actually more so than Birmingham.

Original post by She-Ra
Loughborough is incredible for sport - it's number one in the UK. It also has a lovely community feel and I have friends who studied their undergrad and then made the decision to live their long-term.

Dear She-Ra thanks a lot for your informative answer.

Since you've been to Lough , what about life there? I've heard its a small town-like a village. I have also heard it is know for students union and friendly environment but not that good regarding the teachers help in finding jobs etc. Do you also happen to know specifically for the nutrition program anything? How good is it or applied into sports..?

Thanks again in advance

It definitely has that small town feel and housing I stayed in when visiting a friend was really nice. The student union is great and because the town is so small there are a lot of events and activities in the SU.

I'm sure sure about the careers element - The uni rep @Loughborough University is always sharing the latest career fairs so from what I see they are always looking for ways to support graduates and postgrads with career opportunities.

I'm afraid I don't know how good the course is but the as I said before the university is known for it's sport and its athletes - it as an excellent reputation.
Reply 4
Thanks again She-Ra. Nice to hearing from you.Wish you the best :smile:

Original post by She-Ra
It definitely has that small town feel and housing I stayed in when visiting a friend was really nice. The student union is great and because the town is so small there are a lot of events and activities in the SU.

I'm sure sure about the careers element - The uni rep @Loughborough University is always sharing the latest career fairs so from what I see they are always looking for ways to support graduates and postgrads with career opportunities.

I'm afraid I don't know how good the course is but the as I said before the university is known for it's sport and its athletes - it as an excellent reputation.
Thanks again She-Ra. Nice to hearing from you.Wish you the best :smile:

Hi Anna Kal

Sorry I missed this thread, but honestly looks like @She-Ra has pretty much answered everything - thanks for that :smile:
We have loads of support and opportunities for careers here. Our Careers Network provide a lot of resources to help you get that job that you want, as as mentioned in a pp we have a lot of sports organisations based here, so there are opportunities on campus too.

If you need any more info just ask and apologies for the delay in responding.

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending