The Student Room Group

Bald/balding guys....girls opinions

I was just scanning some old threads on TSR and came across one about what girls think of guys who are going bald. I found the following post (quoted below) and as a guy who's male family members don't have much hair found it pretty depressing.

Girls..should a guy do whatever it takes to keep their hair for you to fancy them? And although this is a non judgemental thread and people should be honest, does this mean that girls are in a way more shallow than guys?

"Girls do care about balding. I´m gonna summarize my experience:

Until I was 25 years old I could date pretty much any girl that I wanted. Getting dates was easy, and having attractive girlfriends was the normal thing.
- At 26, for some reason, I started balding really fast, but I didn´t care.
- At 27 I continued not caring, and thinking girls don't care either, so I just shaved it all and went on with my life. I even broke up with the girl I was dating, a few weeks after shaving it all.
- At 29 --now-- I realized that I only had 2-3 dates in the last 2 years, and a couple of night stands. Most girls don't want to date me. In these last 2 years, I never felt that a girl was physically attracted to me. I have to do an incredible effort to go out with a girl, and, as you see, the results are not very surprising, especially considering the amount of effort invested.

My message is: Bald makes you really unattractive and undesirable. A few people in this world can pull off a bald look (yeah beckham, bruce willis and a couple more), but for most people this means looking 10-15 years older. I learned this the hard way, because I believed all those lies about "girls don't care", "girls care about confidence and whatever"... yeah girls care about confidence, but after you have passed their 'appearance filter'. They will never get to know your confidence, wealth, or how funny you are if you don't go on a date with them, and you won't go on a date with them if they don't find you attractive. At least 99% of them.

Even when girls say "I don't mind dating a bald guy", that just means that hypothetically, in a certain future situation, they *might* consider a bald guy. But in practice that day will never come for most girls. Just go to the park one day, look for attractive girls, and count how many are with bald guys. I will give you $500 if in a time window of 2 hours you spot 2 decently attractive women kissing a bald guy.

Anyways, with that said, I'm gonna start treatment now, because at 29, not being part of the dating game, especially with a very good past, really hurts. So for those of you who are young and balding, please take my wise words, and learn from my experience. Do whatever you have to to keep your hair. Otherwise you will seriously regret that. Women care about it, much more than you think. Much, much more."

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, it means girls are more shallow than guys - bald women have guys queueing up around the block for them.
I like running my hands through hair. Bald heads mean nothing to hold onto.

Sorry.
Reply 3
this thread reminds me of my ex who was thinning and balding before he was 20, his now receeding too
Reply 4
Original post by shawtyb
this thread reminds me of my ex who was thinning and balding before he was 20, his now receeding too

And? Did you care?
Reply 5
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Yeah, it means girls are more shallow than guys - bald women have guys queueing up around the block for them.

Like i said...non judgemental thread...but genuine balding is pretty normal for guys and quite uncommon in women.
Reply 6
Original post by Jd_uk
And? Did you care?

yes and no
Studies have shown that bald men are perceived as more powerful and authoritative and men with hair more attractive. In my life I have had very long hair (which was at times midnight blue, midnight red and midnight green :lol:). For the last few years I have given myself a no-guard buzz cut every 2 weeks because I CBA with hair care. I've been growing it for last few months though just to check it still grows and it does. Lots of women like the little/no hair look but you have to commit to it - very few women will like the obviously balding look on a young guy.
Maybe he just wasn't as attractive as he thought?
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
yes and no

In what ways yes and no? Do you feel like you had a lucky escape sort of thing because he's going bald?
Reply 10
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I like running my hands through hair. Bald heads mean nothing to hold onto.

Sorry.

No need to be sorry..everyone has a preference. Would you advise guys who are going bald to try and do what it takes to keep their hair? Spray, pills etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jd_uk
In what ways yes and no? Do you feel like you had a lucky escape sort of thing because he's going bald?

it was a bit embarassing, he was not even 20 and no because i wasnt with him for his hair

i had a lucky escape in general, nothing to do with his hair
Reply 12
Girls are not way more shallow than guys lol. That is never true. I see good-looking women with ogre-looking men all the time.
But an ogre looking man will have the nerve to have high standards. And openly profess it. No humility whatsoever -_-

I think women also value different things the most. Men value looks more and women value money more. :smile:

My 2 cents
Original post by Zimz
Girls are not way more shallow than guys lol. That is never true. I see good-looking women with ogre-looking men all the time.

my ex was as ogre as they come!
As a guy who went significantly very early i can say that when i was skinny and bald women never cared and frankly i never had the confidence problems of the OP's quote.

So yeah, i'm going to say that actually confidence, being skinny/muscular, dressing well and moisturizing are all more important than losing your hair.
Original post by Zimz
But an ogre looking man will have the nerve to have high standards. And openly profess it. No humility whatsoever -_-

I think women also value different things the most. Men value looks more and women value money more. :smile:

My 2 cents

How exactly is being mainly interested in money not as shallow as being interested in appearance?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Zimz

My 2 cents

I guess i mean in relation to a guy having hair or not... i'm thinking that if this is a turn off or dealbreaker for most women then is this one area where women in general are just as if not more shallow? After all balding is genetic with no real 'fix' just the same as eye or hair colour, but things a guy might be more superficial like body shape can usually be helped with lifestyle changes etc.
Reply 17
Original post by dean01234
How exactly is being mainly interested in money not as shallow as being interested in appearance?

Difference is, I see good-looking women with poor, ogre-looking men than I see good-looking men with ogre-looking women. My opinion *shrug*
Reply 18
Original post by Jd_uk
I guess i mean in relation to a guy having hair or not... i'm thinking that if this is a turn off or dealbreaker for most women then is this one area where women in general are just as if not more shallow? After all balding is genetic with no real 'fix' just the same as eye or hair colour, but things a guy might be more superficial like body shape can usually be helped with lifestyle changes etc.

Erm... I don't really think balding in men will be that much of an issue for women (dare I say most). Because there are some really good looking bald men.
What is more of a disadvantage is if a guy is short. Most women do not like short men. So I don't think you need to worry.
Men would be more bothered by a balding woman tho. :colonhash:
Reply 19
Original post by Zimz
Erm... I don't really think balding in men will be that much of an issue for women (dare I say most). Because there are some really good looking bald men.
What is more of a disadvantage is if a guy is short. Most women do not like short men. So I don't think you need to worry.
Men would be more bothered by a balding woman tho. :colonhash:

Well it would be good to hear more female opinions. It's easy for guys to say 'women like it' or 'women don't care'.

By the way i don't look balding really...maybe slightly receded but nothing noticeable.

Latest