The Student Room Group

What is a personal statement and reference?

Original post by LemonadeAspire

Is this a joke question?
I'm assuming you're referring to the UCAS form?

A personal statement is part of the UCAS application: you write about yourself, your chosen course, your interests and extracurricular activities, and generally why you're the best candidate for the course you're applying for.

A reference is something that someone else (usually a teacher, tutor or lecturer) writes for you, basically backing up your personal statement and including information about how you are in school/college, your aptitude for the course and your predicted grades.

If you're writing a personal statement, there is lots of great advice on this website and on the UCAS website, and there's a personal statement builder here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help :smile:
Original post by null_geodesic
Is this a joke question?

...if it was I wouldn't be asking wtf?
...if it was I wouldn't be asking wtf?

The wtf is how someone over the age of ten wouldn't know what the words reference and personal statement mean. And you want to go to uni?
The wtf is how someone over the age of ten wouldn't know what the words reference and personal statement mean. And you want to go to uni?

I find it disrespectful, if I make a thread asking a question that I'm not so sure of I wouldn't want someone thinking its a joke :/ Yes I want to go university but the way I'm behaving towards you doesn't prove/show anything or the use of why I'm asking this question. A personal statement I was sure of the definition, I though there was more to it than just talking about myself and interest hence why I asked... Reference could have meant anything else so I wanted to know as I haven't been informed about reference in my sixth form. So please don't start coming at me with comments like "is this a joke?" :smile:
Thank you!!
I find it disrespectful, if I make a thread asking a question that I'm not so sure of I wouldn't want someone thinking its a joke :/ Yes I want to go university but the way I'm behaving towards you doesn't prove/show anything or the use of why I'm asking this question. A personal statement I was sure of the definition, I though there was more to it than just talking about myself and interest hence why I asked... Reference could have meant anything else so I wanted to know as I haven't been informed about reference in my sixth form. So please don't start coming at me with comments like "is this a joke?" :smile:
Thank you!!

Use Google. Or a dictionary. You do know what those are, right?
Use Google. Or a dictionary. You do know what those are, right?

No, I'm completely stupid! :smile: Your pun is not intended xxxx
No, I'm completely stupid! :smile: Your pun is not intended xxxx

So you never read the material on the UCAS site itself? Or many other websites about this process? Gotcha.
So you never read the material on the UCAS site itself? Or many other websites about this process? Gotcha.

I think you're being overly harsh. Do you even know which country this person's from?

Sortofmusician has already responded well on this, but the Personal Statement is the part of the UCAS application where you get to promote yourself. The reference is the part where someone else (typically your teacher) gets to promote you.
Original post by TurboCretin
I think you're being overly harsh. Do you even know which country this person's from?

They are at a 6th form in the UK. This is not a case of a language problem. It's someone who is supposedly looking into going to university but cannot parse the words "reference" and "personal statement" - information which is plastered all over this and other websites. Information that the UCAS site has material discussing. And you think that is overly harsh? What is harsh is the real world if you go through life so uninformed or lazy in regard to basic research on an important part of your life.

Personal statement is a statement from/about you

Reference is someone that can back you up
They are at a 6th form in the UK. This is not a case of a language problem. It's someone who is supposedly looking into going to university but cannot parse the words "reference" and "personal statement" - information which is plastered all over this and other websites. Information that the UCAS site has material discussing. And you think that is overly harsh? What is harsh is the real world if you go through life so uninformed or lazy in regard to basic research on an important part of your life.

Relax sweetheart! I just need more in depth information, if you have a problem then don't bother posting your comment because it's irrelevant to me! I may have posted this thread for others to look at too or not sure of.. I don't see why you have such a problem with me asking a simple question! Me asking one basic question that I'm not sure of doesn't mean I'm uninformed or lazy. I won't be turning up to university and have someone be like "So what is a personal statement and reference, if you don't know then you're informed and lazy and stupid!" I find it pathetic. Jokes on you, you're the lazy one for not being bothered to answer the question instead you posted something useless! xx
No the joke is on you for being as thick as f**k. It's embarrassing how lazy and soft many kids today are.

Just like the quality of handwriting and ability to spell say something about a person. And based upon your sentence structure on here you seem intellectually challenged.

As I said - thick as f**k.

Thick because I asked a question that I'm not sure of? You're so immature and pathetic, grow up!

It's a forum where it enables me and others to post/answer questions because it allows other people to have a wide variety of answers to look upon if they are unsure!

Intelligence doesn't have to define a person, there are other aspects that may say something about a person.

Eh, it's alright! You're just butthurt :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply