The Student Room Group

Anxiety,Panic Attacks & depersonalization

Lately I have been feeling detached from reality , I always feel like I'm about to go crazy or have strokes etc . I hate going to busy places because they always trigger the panic attack or I worry something might go horribly wrong . I get tired all the times and recently I can't even sleep at night .

I don't really enjoy doing things I usually love doing and when ever i am with my partner I just zone out and I don't really feel like talking whenever she's here . I have spoken to her about it and she's really supportive bless her .

Who else has been in this situation ? i feel like i need someone to talk to cos I feel alone .
Original post by Anonymous
Lately I have been feeling detached from reality , I always feel like I'm about to go crazy or have strokes etc . I hate going to busy places because they always trigger the panic attack or I worry something might go horribly wrong . I get tired all the times and recently I can't even sleep at night .

I don't really enjoy doing things I usually love doing and when ever i am with my partner I just zone out and I don't really feel like talking whenever she's here . I have spoken to her about it and she's really supportive bless her .

Who else has been in this situation ? i feel like i need someone to talk to cos I feel alone .

Have you spoken to your GP? You should, in order to have what you're feeling put on record and to maybe access some kind of help if you feel like that's necessary (talking about it to someone can be such a great relief, and it can be good to have someone outside of your immediate family/partner to talk to). It sounds like typical anxiety (although this is obviously not a diagnosis - it's always important to see a doctor to get professional advice). I started struggling with anxiety back in 2008 when I was 18. It came on quite quickly and I think it was largely in response to me realising that I wasn't invincible. I had a couple of deaths happen in my family and I developed a lot of health anxiety. I would feel dizzy and also get other symptoms that I would instantly worry were signs of some deadly illness. It's important to remember that however much you feel you're going crazy, you really aren't.

There's a book called Essential Help for your Nerves (bad title, but stick with me) by Claire Weekes. It helped me a lot, because she was not only a doctor but she went through panic attacks herself and she really made me see that what I was experiencing was normal and there was a way out.

Time does heal anxiety, even when you think you'll be like that forever. I'm still working on recovery but my life has got better. I'm learning to live again and I do have moments now where I feel much more like my old self. Fixing your sleep is one of the first steps to recovery, but it's so difficult because if you're anything like me you'll automatically worry more about yourself as soon as it's time to sleep and your brain just won't settle. All I can suggest (as a non-health professional) is really making time to care for yourself before you try to sleep. Turn off your laptop and try and savour a warm drink (or a cold drink if you're not into warm ones - whatever works for you). Don't beat yourself up about relaxing, but do try and give your brain a break by actively trying to engage in low-brain activities before bed (listen to some music or an audiobook, for example).
Original post by mscaffrey
Have you spoken to your GP? You should, in order to have what you're feeling put on record and to maybe access some kind of help if you feel like that's necessary (talking about it to someone can be such a great relief, and it can be good to have someone outside of your immediate family/partner to talk to). It sounds like typical anxiety (although this is obviously not a diagnosis - it's always important to see a doctor to get professional advice). I started struggling with anxiety back in 2008 when I was 18. It came on quite quickly and I think it was largely in response to me realising that I wasn't invincible. I had a couple of deaths happen in my family and I developed a lot of health anxiety. I would feel dizzy and also get other symptoms that I would instantly worry were signs of some deadly illness. It's important to remember that however much you feel you're going crazy, you really aren't.

There's a book called Essential Help for your Nerves (bad title, but stick with me) by Claire Weekes. It helped me a lot, because she was not only a doctor but she went through panic attacks herself and she really made me see that what I was experiencing was normal and there was a way out.

Time does heal anxiety, even when you think you'll be like that forever. I'm still working on recovery but my life has got better. I'm learning to live again and I do have moments now where I feel much more like my old self. Fixing your sleep is one of the first steps to recovery, but it's so difficult because if you're anything like me you'll automatically worry more about yourself as soon as it's time to sleep and your brain just won't settle. All I can suggest (as a non-health professional) is really making time to care for yourself before you try to sleep. Turn off your laptop and try and savour a warm drink (or a cold drink if you're not into warm ones - whatever works for you). Don't beat yourself up about relaxing, but do try and give your brain a break by actively trying to engage in low-brain activities before bed (listen to some music or an audiobook, for example).

Thanks this is the worst place to be having at the moment. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Depersonalization and derealization are the two scariest feelings I have ever felt. I suffer from severe OCD and then I had panic disorder for years and was housebound from panic attacks for a while so DP/DR was a big part of my every day life and it was truly terrifying. I still experience it a lot but it doesn't scare me as much or take a hold of me as much but it's still horrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest