The Student Room Group

American Applying to UK Unis

So my top school is Oxford, and after looking at their requirements, I want to cry.
I got my first ever taken SAT score back, and it wasn't good. Like, at all. Like, it was wweeellll below the minimum for Oxford, which is 2100. I know I will retake it and do so much better, but I'm not sure if I still have to send that score. Everything else I know I will pass, without a doubt, and meet Oxford's standards, but it's just that one score that messed me up. Oxford says I have to send alll my scores. Is there a way to like...not send it?

Someone told me to write pending on the UCAS online application forms, but CollegeBoard isn't partnered with international schools (I think) so I'm still not very sure on how to send the scores in the first place.

I'm so devastated, to be honest lol
Original post by canyounotkthx
So my top school is Oxford, and after looking at their requirements, I want to cry.
I got my first ever taken SAT score back, and it wasn't good. Like, at all. Like, it was wweeellll below the minimum for Oxford, which is 2100. I know I will retake it and do so much better, but I'm not sure if I still have to send that score. Everything else I know I will pass, without a doubt, and meet Oxford's standards, but it's just that one score that messed me up. Oxford says I have to send alll my scores. Is there a way to like...not send it?

Someone told me to write pending on the UCAS online application forms, but CollegeBoard isn't partnered with international schools (I think) so I'm still not very sure on how to send the scores in the first place.

I'm so devastated, to be honest lol

You need to declare all qualifications, including ones you plan to resit- otherwise, if you're found out, your application will be considered fraudlent and any offers could be withdrawn. You'll need a reference from a teacher with predicted grades, and it's very possible they might mention a previous sitting of the SAT, for example.

Usually, international students are responsible for sending copies of their grades to the university, but there's no reason a uni or UCAS might not check with the exam board if they've got any concerns.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that most UK universities care more about your grades in AP classes than SAT scores, as AP classes are seen as more similar to A-levels.
Additional information - schools using the SAT to differentiate between students usually only look at the highest score, as long as there is an improvement in the score over repeated examinations.

The reason why high school career advisers suggest taking the SAT repeatedly (unless someone does phenomenal) is that they know students might be nervous when taking it the first time.
Reply 3

Bear in mind that you're talking about one of the top universities in the world. If you're not Harvard/Yale/etc material in the US, you need to ask yourself how realistic your aspirations might be.

There's certainly no reason you shouldn't give it your best shot. But there's no way of circumventing the entry requirements or to not provide the evidence requested. Oxford could fill most of their courses several times over, with people who meet or exceed the entry requirements. They don't need to make concessions, and they won't. If you don't meet the minimum requirements for entry to your preferred course, it probably isn't worth wasting the application fee.
@SlowlorisIncognito @zombiejon I heard and I did research that I have to send only test scores, not my grades nor transcripts, because the system of education in the US is different from the ones in the UK. A-levels and AS-levels are sort of equivalent to AP classes in the US (from what I've heard), which is why they only want my test scores. However, after reading over the requirements for US students who want to go to Oxford, it says I can either send the minimum score of a 2100 in SAT, OR an ACT score of minimum 32 out of 36 haha. I think it's best that I just disregard the whole SAT thing because CollegeBoard is also changing the SAT to a max possible score of 1600, rather than 2400. So let's see what happens haha. Thanks for the info!

@Klix88 Trust me, I knowww hahaha. However, I'd rather attend a school and know without a doubt and for a fact that I'm getting the best education needed. Medicine is already a competitive course, along with the fact that it's more competitive with international students haha. I could send my grades (A levels, AS levels and GCSE's) along with other qualifications, that is, if I were a student in the UK. However, the only equivalent they can find is SAT, ACT, and AP, along with my results in BMAT and UKCAT, and my personal statement haha. I may not meet the requirements for SAT specifically, but I know for sure I'll exceed the requirements for the remaining. I'm just not too sure on how it works, being that my scores and essay is the only thing they'll determine my admission off of, along with (hopefully) an interview.
@SlowlorisIncognito @zombiejon I heard and I did research that I have to send only test scores, not my grades nor transcripts, because the system of education in the US is different from the ones in the UK. A-levels and AS-levels are sort of equivalent to AP classes in the US (from what I've heard), which is why they only want my test scores. However, after reading over the requirements for US students who want to go to Oxford, it says I can either send the minimum score of a 2100 in SAT, OR an ACT score of minimum 32 out of 36 haha. I think it's best that I just disregard the whole SAT thing because CollegeBoard is also changing the SAT to a max possible score of 1600, rather than 2400. So let's see what happens haha. Thanks for the info!

@Klix88 Trust me, I knowww hahaha. However, I'd rather attend a school and know without a doubt and for a fact that I'm getting the best education needed. Medicine is already a competitive course, along with the fact that it's more competitive with international students haha. I could send my grades (A levels, AS levels and GCSE's) along with other qualifications, that is, if I were a student in the UK. However, the only equivalent they can find is SAT, ACT, and AP, along with my results in BMAT and UKCAT, and my personal statement haha. I may not meet the requirements for SAT specifically, but I know for sure I'll exceed the requirements for the remaining. I'm just not too sure on how it works, being that my scores and essay is the only thing they'll determine my admission off of, along with (hopefully) an interview.

If the maximum SAT score is being changed, Oxford will be aware of this, and you could contact them to see what the score they would be looking for is once the maximum grade goes down.

For medicine, it's expected that in your personal statement and interview you'll have relevant work experience to talk about, so you'll need to start looking for this ASAP if you haven't already.
@SlowlorisIncognito I've called Oxford and most of them said that they were unaware of the change that was occurring. However, they told me that by the time I start applying (October 2016), that they will list the new requirements. I assume they didn't change it because the students of 2016 entry still had the old SAT scores. And yes, I've already started writing my personal statement. I think the reason I'm sort of having a hard time with it is because I don't really have much (or any, lol) work experience. I mean, as a high schooler, I doubt there is much that I can do. I've attempted advanced research projects with hospitals and STEM based universities, but that rarely worked. My mom was also an RN with a nursing business, but the most that I could do legally (since I didn't go to nursing school or medical school or anything of the such, and I'm definitely not certified in anything lol) was organize and sort papers that my mom and her employees signed. I've tried volunteering at the hospital, but the most they usually let high school students do is sort binders and papers, not an actual, hands-on medical experience. So I'm gonna have to elongate and exaggerate everything I say in my personal statement, just enough so that if I'm questioned about it in an interview, I'll be able to give an answer. This is my current dilemma: high school student interested in medicine but has no REAL experience loool
@SlowlorisIncognito I've called Oxford and most of them said that they were unaware of the change that was occurring. However, they told me that by the time I start applying (October 2016), that they will list the new requirements. I assume they didn't change it because the students of 2016 entry still had the old SAT scores. And yes, I've already started writing my personal statement. I think the reason I'm sort of having a hard time with it is because I don't really have much (or any, lol) work experience. I mean, as a high schooler, I doubt there is much that I can do. I've attempted advanced research projects with hospitals and STEM based universities, but that rarely worked. My mom was also an RN with a nursing business, but the most that I could do legally (since I didn't go to nursing school or medical school or anything of the such, and I'm definitely not certified in anything lol) was organize and sort papers that my mom and her employees signed. I've tried volunteering at the hospital, but the most they usually let high school students do is sort binders and papers, not an actual, hands-on medical experience. So I'm gonna have to elongate and exaggerate everything I say in my personal statement, just enough so that if I'm questioned about it in an interview, I'll be able to give an answer. This is my current dilemma: high school student interested in medicine but has no REAL experience loool

The thing is all UK med schools will expect you to have "real" experience. I understand this can be really difficult to get, especially outside of the UK where this kind of experience isn't always needed for med school. A lot of UK students look into volunteering at old people's homes. Is this something you could try?
@SlowlorisIncognito Yes, visiting the elderly and caring for them is something I can do, but I don't really know to incorporate that into the statement. "Oh yeah, by the way, I cleaned old people every time they didn't make it to the toilet on time." :biggrin: As a 16 year old, I can take CNA (certified nurse aide) classes and can legally work in a hospital, doing all the gruesome, gross, stuff that the head nurses and doctors don't want to do. I think that alone is more than enough experience because it shows the not-so-pretty side of medicine. HOWEVER, not all states let 16 year olds do so, including the state I live in. The most experience I'll probably get is attending a medicine summer program where aspiring students get to use simulation machines, the surgery tool thingies, be CPR certified, and learn more about the medical field. But from now until October, I gotta figure out the most I can do to include it into my personal statement haha.
@SlowlorisIncognito Yes, visiting the elderly and caring for them is something I can do, but I don't really know to incorporate that into the statement. "Oh yeah, by the way, I cleaned old people every time they didn't make it to the toilet on time." :biggrin: As a 16 year old, I can take CNA (certified nurse aide) classes and can legally work in a hospital, doing all the gruesome, gross, stuff that the head nurses and doctors don't want to do. I think that alone is more than enough experience because it shows the not-so-pretty side of medicine. HOWEVER, not all states let 16 year olds do so, including the state I live in. The most experience I'll probably get is attending a medicine summer program where aspiring students get to use simulation machines, the surgery tool thingies, be CPR certified, and learn more about the medical field. But from now until October, I gotta figure out the most I can do to include it into my personal statement haha.

I've moved your thread to the medicine forum, where you will get advice from current medics and those who have completed the application process. Your situation as a 16 year old is no different to what it is in the UK, and no doubt there will be people who will give you advice on what you need to do about work experience in this forum. Work experience is a given, though, and you will have to find some way round it.
Can I ask whether you intend to practice in the UK or America when you qualify?
At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, being a doctor in the UK is not a particularly pleasant prospect. The Government are systematically trying to destroy our NHS and targeting the junior doctors is their current way of doing it. It certainly wouldn't be worth paying international fees if you intend to practice here afterwards. It would take you a considerable amount of time to recoup enough money to justify how much you would pay, if you ever would.

And although you'll be an American citizen, its not as easy getting back to the States as you might think. Apart from St Georges, none of our med schools are really geared to studying for the USMLE, so that would require a lot of independent study on your part, on top of the study you need to do to pass the normal exams.

I am not saying its impossible to do, but I do wonder if it would be worth coming over here. It seems doctors are better valued in the US and you'd be wise to stay and train there.
Reply 11
So I'm gonna have to elongate and exaggerate everything I say in my personal statement, just enough so that if I'm questioned about it in an interview, I'll be able to give an answer.

Again, I would advise a measure of realism in your approach. Interview panels at any university - let alone Oxford - will be looking out for this tactic. They will be able to identify it and will dismantle each statement in detail.

I've been through an Oxford entry interview and you really can't afford to flannel or exaggerate what you say in your application. You *will* be called out on it.

One option for volunteering in a hospital setting would be Nationwide Children's.

Personally, I would rank doing work as support staff in a medical environment as being much better than getting exposure to medical simulations, even if it's helping out with the filing, acting as a greeter, or at reception. You get a much better feel for the medical environment that way, and there's the opportunity to interact with patients. Medicine is more than knowing the treatment options, or surgical techniques.

As for a personal statement...Work experience isn't a be all and end all. I know people who talked about how one event, or their environment shaped them. These events/environments pushed them into pursuing a degree in social work or therapy to help others so they could help others in a similar situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending