The Student Room Group

Interview for Theatre support worker (NHS)

Anyone had an interview for THEATRE SUPPORT WORKER? if so, can you tell me what kind of questions they ask?. I never see websites about TSW and what the interview entails.. so yeah!

Please and thank you.
Original post by Lt93

I gather you've never worked in theatres before?
Having done placements in a theatre I'd imagine they'd ask if you're aware of the sterile field, what to look out for. If anything should go wrong what would you do etc?
As the other staff are qualified so you'd have them there anyway.
Do you have any information that they've sent you?
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by deviant182
I gather you've never worked in theatres before?
Having done placements in a theatre I'd imagine they'd ask if you're aware of the sterile field, what to look out for. If anything should go wrong what would you do etc?
As the other staff are qualified so you'd have them there anyway.
Do you have any information that they've sent you?
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have not but I have always been interested in it!. They did not send me any information of what the interview entails - I think it is just one-to-one interview.

I just want to know what kind of questions they will ask? Is it similar to Health care assistant questions?
It will be similar to health care assistant questions; such as what would you do with a nervous patient or what would you do if you noticed it was the wrong patient coming into theatre etc..
Then you may face questions such as how would you cope with a fatality or how would you deal with seeing a person open on the table?
As you're there support and won't be able to do too much until you have training etc they will cover the basics then could ask about safety etc.
I'm just guessing here based on when I have been on placement in theatres and what I had to be aware of, eg moving and handling, oxygen, clean areas and sterile areas, the different roles people had within the theatres, different types of surgery etc....
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had mine today! I wasn't nervous but just calm and be myself they ask you more about yourself and how you contribute you and work. Just review about it. Gutted! did not get the job! I really thought i did it. Anyway I have 2 interviews to go. Better luck next time. and goodluck!
Hi I am a current TSW for a Trust in the South West for about 2 years now. It truly is a job like no other healthcare worker. I both love and loathe working in theatres. I can’t remember the exact questions word for word, but they were all patient focused. So if I witnessed something that was unsafe what would I do and how would I deal with it? The questions were also about my attitudes towards patients, so if they are nervous (99.9% are when having surgery) how would I deal with them?
I’m happy to answer any question/s you have about the job.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello I have an interview on Monday for theatre support worker. Any tips? I have no previous experience at all but really focused on the role and I'm really looking forward to the interview. Thank you x
Hi Cherise. Well done on getting a interview! I can’t remember all the questions I was asked but they were mainly patient focused. One was how would I deal with a distressed patient who was coming to have surgery, my example was when I had a operation and it was the HCA (TSW) that held my hand and comforted me. Have a look at the values of the hospital you are applying for. Try and memorise the 6 C’s if you can and mention both the trust values along with the 6 C’s in some of your answers. I thing I would tell anyone coming into theatres is you are the patients voice. The patient on the operating table isn’t able to do anything for themselves so you are their voice. If you see something wrong you a more than within reason to say your not happy with it. It takes courage to do that (one of the 6 C’s) in front of a scary surgeon. I have a interview tomorrow so I’ll try and come up with some more advice for you then, it’ll jog my memory a bit. I wish you the best of luck in the meantime, it truly is one of the best jobs anybody can have! D
Aww thanks so much for your reply. I'll definitely be taking some time to learn the 6 Cs and love that party about been the patients voice. I'm really looking forward to the interview it's an absolute dream of mine. Can only but try. Thanks again :smile: x
How did it go with the interview?
Reply 10
Original post by Dannyd2471
How did it go with the interview?

I did not get it unfortunately due to it clashing with university work however, I got a job as a clinical support worker in gastro ward :smile:.
Hi I have a interview for a tsw coming up what prep do I need to do I have done hca work and support work
Hi all, I have an interview for a theatre support worker/assistant coming up in less than a week. I currently work in the pharmacy department of my local hospital within the aseptic unit so I’m more than familiar with the discipline required when it comes to going by the book with IPC and extensively learning SOP’s and knowing my place within the hierarchy within the clinical setting. I also have experience working with EMI patients, so I feel like I’m able to ace that when it comes to making the patient feel as comfortable as possible, and also facing challenging and somewhat emotionally draining duties. I feel confident, however I’m facing a 5 person panel during the interview and I expect them to be hard on applicants! Any tips, advice or even potential questions I may face during the interview would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply 13
I know this post is from a couple of year ago is anyone still active? I have an interview for a tsw today I've gone through the 6cs is there anything else I should be aware of that would help me out? TIA
Original post by 12Lotty
I know this post is from a couple of year ago is anyone still active? I have an interview for a tsw today I've gone through the 6cs is there anything else I should be aware of that would help me out? TIA

Smile
I’ve (only but a few weeks ago) applied for a job to become a Theatre Support Worker and wanted to be as ready as possible for, if, I get a call for an interview. It’s my absolute dream job so this thread has been super helpful! Going off to learn 6C’s and jot down what I think a patient would want and how to be their voice!
Hi. Having no nursing or health care setting experience (im currently a ward clerk) i git offered a job in theatres as a peri operative assistant. Can u guys help me with what to expect?
Original post by H ANGELL84
Hi. Having no nursing or health care setting experience (im currently a ward clerk) i git offered a job in theatres as a peri operative assistant. Can u guys help me with what to expect?

My first job in healthcare was as a TSW. Things I ended up doing included:
- stocking up theatres with kit for that speciality
- collecting patients for theatre from the wards, if they came in through theatre admissions I'd need to get a bed from the ward for them, taking patients back to the ward post op
- cleaning theatre between cases
-.opening sterile sets for the scrub nurse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending