The Student Room Group

Anyone else find lectures really awkward?

I always feel like people above me and around me are watching and making judgements which makes me kinda hyper aware and self conscious of what I'm doing, sometimes I even wait for the right moment to write notes just so the people above me don't think I'm stupid or I'm writing down unnecessary things. And whenever I sit next to a friend I just become very nervous and censor what I really want to say and how I really want to act because I know others are listening in to the conversation. I'm much more relaxed if I'm all the way at the back though...I feel like I can be myself more...it's not so uncomfortable

It's weird because in other social settings I really don't give a f...I'm known for being a "freak" and a "weirdo"... just in lectures and seminars I feel like I'm in a professional meeting or something and can't afford to slip up and let my guard down or else others will look down upon me with contempt & think I'm not fit for uni

Is anyone else like this, or is this a behavioural defect of some sort...?
Well MoniqueBubbles I would suggest that you just focus onto the lecturer, understanding what they're saying, and making notes. That should keep your attention away.

You should also keep in mind that whilst you're paranoid about people watching you, in reality, they're probably going to be focused on the lecture and trying to learn. So you're only harming your own education.
Reply 2
Original post by MoniqueBubbles
I always feel like people above me and around me are watching and making judgements which makes me kinda hyper aware and self conscious of what I'm doing, sometimes I even wait for the right moment to write notes just so the people above me don't think I'm stupid or I'm writing down unnecessary things. And whenever I sit next to a friend I just become very nervous and censor what I really want to say and how I really want to act because I know others are listening in to the conversation. I'm much more relaxed if I'm all the way at the back though...I feel like I can be myself more...it's not so uncomfortable

It's weird because in other social settings I really don't give a f...I'm known for being a "freak" and a "weirdo"... just in lectures and seminars I feel like I'm in a professional meeting or something and can't afford to slip up and let my guard down or else others will look down upon me with contempt & think I'm not fit for uni

I didn't know you've got to pretend to be someone else to study at uni. What a shame. I really wanted to start my studies this September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't sound too normal to me tbh.

I write everything down lol, idgaf what people think. Also it helps during the really dull lectures to write **** down to avoid falling asleep
Reply 4
Sounds like anxiety to me.
Trust me no one cares enough to be paying attention to you, they're all busy doing their own thing.

Wow. Now I'm concerned when I take notes, geez.
If you can try to change it (ie take notes whenever you need to, don't worry about anyone else around you (who won't be looking at you for a particular reason and not the lecturer or notes or even their phone) and you're able to be yourself, then that's great. :h:
If not, it may be worth speaking to someone about it.
I think you're being a little overly paranoid. Other than the keen or short sighted students at the front, most students are there to catch up on their sleep and are not likely giving you much attention.
It's always too crowded or too empty for me to care about other people. Only on the 1st day then it doesn't matter. I'm too thoughtful to be observant like that. Try mingling with them and then your worries should fade. I talk to pretty much everyone in my lectures.
thanks for the replies guys, I guess it's just me overthinking way too much, cause in the end who cares what other people think, all you can do is be yourself and if others don't like it then screw em, right?
thanks for the replies guys, I guess it's just me overthinking way too much, cause in the end who cares what other people think, all you can do is be yourself and if others don't like it then screw em, right?

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, why's that a spoiler?
Reply 13

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the spirit.

Quick Reply