The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's a pretty big thing to put you of you off though isn't it. To me they'd have been better keeping seperate.

It seeems to be a merge between UMIST and Man Uni was a good thing. But should now mean it's all under the Manchester University title. By merging or creating 'joint schools' its wishy washy, good for Met students, but not so good for macnhester uni students. It seems manchester university is shooting itself in its foot, for the sake of a few extra facilities.

Arguably.Manchester university, should be better than Man Met, it's students got better A-Levels and are therfore, brighter and slightly more respectabl; im not taking a dig at the met i'm just stating a fact. This is the same for any city such as Leeds and Leeds met, or Liverpool and Liv John Moore.

So why send bright students with great A-Levels to a school that's some kind of hybrid.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I don't see how it's putting our Uni down.

From what I know, the entry requirements for the course is the same, no matter which Uni you apply to for architecture. You face the same admissions tutors from the same school as it's seen as one entity now...

Can't change time, as it's all happened. Nothing you can do.

If you have such strong feelings about coming, then do.

If you have such strong feelings against it, for the reason being it's merged with MMU then don't come.
Reply 22
The people in my class who got like 2 Cgrade a-levels went to Man Met, the people who got AAB went to manchester.
Reply 23
ArchiBoi
The people in my class who got like 2 Cgrade a-levels went to Man Met, the people who got AAB went to manchester.

Life is so black and white isn't:mad: I know somebody who got A's and B's at A level, went to MMU and now has her own research desk at Manchester University.
Reply 24
AT82
Life is so black and white isn't:mad: I know somebody who got A's and B's at A level, went to MMU and now has her own research desk at Manchester University.

I hate the fact that grades dictate your life. Some people are just not that great at exams.
Reply 25
I'm not interested in research, I want to build great places.

I have and always will be an optimist with high expectations, however I have to be a realist when it comes to selecting a place to study. The fact remains that Oxbridge is better than Man Met for a reason. AAA students rarely goto Met's for a reason. There less repected, regardless of how much it is a stereotype and regardles off it being a 'box ticking' scenario. It's a synical world unfortunately.

Grades do dictate your life. I got ABB which meant I couldn't goto to the likes of UCL in the first place for archtecture, I was a very nieve 17 year old at the time, I can admit that

I'm never going to stop trying to improve myself and my education though, I am not willing to simply grin and bear it. The fact is; some written exams are flawed in their very nature, especially for a course that's about design, and a 3D imagination, creativity and practicality. A-Level papers, in their 2d, written nature are as about as far removed from architecture as you can get. But unfortunately life and the educational selectional process is far from appropriate for architecture, or indeed many other disciplines.

Think it through, do well in a BA degree, and go there for masters, as they say in the Untouchables "never stop fighting until the fight is done" lol.

I'm am put off in some respects by the fact it is assosiated with a 'Met' and it will be a deciding factor, But I suppose It's still an improvement onto where I am at now, and I do love manchester.

With Urbis, Beetham Tower, the Imperial War Museum, Picadilly Gardens' manchesters becoming a very interesting urban fabric to work within. I have a lot of idea's for it, it really does 'grab' you.

It is a rich, vibrant canvas in which to place my buildings. A place you can just immerse yourself into as student. Manchesters my home and it always will hold a place in my heart, regardless of its 'Met' assosiations.
Reply 26
Dude, not wanting to state the obvious here, but you say you're an optimist, but all your comments suggest the opposite.

It's all great that you're looking for help and this is the place to ask, however, life's about making decisions.

It lies with yuo to get the information you need.
Ring the UNi, ask if the grad certificate has Manchester Uni stamped on it or Man Met..

Now it's obvious that a met uni is generally a bit less prestigious.
If Edinburgh isn't affiliated with a met uni then it seems clear to me that it may be held in higher regard than a joint school. However, if the masters is ran mainly by manchester uni...

However, a masters degree is a masters degree, surely with a subject like architecture they would look at your previous work and projects as opposed to just your uni?

Anyway, what I'm getting at is you aren't gonig to get all the answers you want from a website, you need to get off your posterior and ring the uni's up; ring employers up etc etc...

Hopefully that helps :smile:
Reply 27
I'm living with an Undergrad on that course and he says its fantastic. having the two departments working together means that they can attract better lectures/tutors aswell as share facilities.

At the end of the day any employer worth their salt will know about who runs what courses and what you have to do to achieve a 1st or a 2.1 etc. I doubt anyone employing an archtect is going to turn you down because your course was University on Manchester in association with Manchester Met, they will hire you on the merits of who you are, and your portfolio.

At the end of the day Daggy is right, the onus is on YOU to be pro-active about it. Visit both cities, look at the departments and the univeristies, but also at the city, and see what is going on. Speak to current students to find out their opinions on it.

The course here is great, but if you feel that Edinburgh is a better course and you like it better there then there is no desicion to be made.

As i keep saying to people recently CHOOSE THE UNIVERSITY THAT YOU LIKE THE MOST Its you that has to spend 3 years living/working there, dont get to a point where you look back at uni as one big regret.

good luck.
Reply 28
Sounds like you have your heart set on Manchester :smile:. And even now I some of the buildings here still amaze me. My wall paper picture is none of other than Manchester Town Hall.

Latest

Trending

Trending