The Student Room Group

Potential trigger (ED) - Fluoxetine - no appetite, no sleep

Hey, so I have been taking fluoxetine since December with having lack of sleep and also loss of appetite. I recently went back to the doctors before going back to work about the problems I have but all he did was up my dosage from 20mg a day to 40mg.

I have really started work and the 40mg has made me have a severe loss of appetite. I can't even eat a full creme egg without feeling full. Earlier, I had 3 chicken strips and then threw up from them. I work alot on the floor where I work and when I get long shifts like today (11:15-7:45pm), it really takes you roll on you. I feel hungry so I try and eat but can't or have to force myself to eat. I come home even from short shifts exhausted but can't even sleep to rest.

Obviously. I am running pretty much on nothing and only thing that seems to be ok is just drinking Coca Cola but I can't live off that. I have lost 20lbs so far while being on these from 9st 6lbs to now 8st. I am glad I have lost this much weight because I now look great but I am starting to get really concerned about my health.

I am going to go back to the doctors on Monday and demand them that they change my medication or at least give me something to help me sleep as well. But I was wondering if anyone else had severe problems while on fluoxetine? Did they improve in time or always just remained there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jammie_x
Hey, so I have been taking fluoxetine since December with having lack of sleep and also loss of appetite. I recently went back to the doctors before going back to work about the problems I have but all he did was up my dosage from 20mg a day to 40mg.

I have really started work and the 40mg has made me have a severe loss of appetite. I can't even eat a full creme egg without feeling full. Earlier, I had 3 chicken strips and then threw up from them. I work alot on the floor where I work and when I get long shifts like today (11:15-7:45pm), it really takes you roll on you. I feel hungry so I try and eat but can't or have to force myself to eat. I come home even from short shifts exhausted but can't even sleep to rest.

Obviously. I am running pretty much on nothing and only thing that seems to be ok is just drinking Coca Cola but I can't live off that. I have lost 20lbs so far while being on these from 9st 6lbs to now 8st. I am glad I have lost this much weight because I now look great but I am starting to get really concerned about my health.

I am going to go back to the doctors on Monday and demand them that they change my medication or at least give me something to help me sleep as well. But I was wondering if anyone else had severe problems while on fluoxetine? Did they improve in time or always just remained there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Back when I started citalopram I experienced a big loss in appetite- so much so that I dropped out of gyming and even now still haven't got back into the routine of doing so. However, after a couple of months my appetite returned and I've been eating normally ever since. I think that's the case for just about everyone who has the same symptoms after beginning SSRIs, so give it a little longer and see if things improve!

Also I don't think the trigger warning is necessary seeing there's no gruesome details or anything relating to actual eating disorders for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by RobML
Back when I started citalopram I experienced a big loss in appetite- so much so that I dropped out of gyming and even now still haven't got back into the routine of doing so. However, after a couple of months my appetite returned and I've been eating normally ever since. I think that's the case for just about everyone who has the same symptoms after beginning SSRIs, so give it a little longer and see if things improve!

Also I don't think the trigger warning is necessary seeing there's no gruesome details or anything relating to actual eating disorders for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For some people the talk of someone losing weight is triggering enough.

@Jammie_x I was the exact same on fluoxetine but this was a lower dose than you so I was taken off it. It doesn't seem like it's doing you any good.
Reply 3
Original post by Airmed
For some people the talk of someone losing weight is triggering enough

Then surely reading the tag "ED" is just as triggering...
Reply 4
Original post by RobML
Then surely reading the tag "ED" is just as triggering...

I don't know. Thankfully I don't suffer from one.
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed
I don't know. Thankfully I don't suffer from one.

I didn't write the potential ED, tsr changed my post and wrote that haha. I have lost a lot of weight since December, 20lbs Infact and still loosing it. The doctor says to keep at it last time I went but I feel really weak and it's not helpful when I have a job that requires running round and I am always running on empty haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I didn't write the potential ED, tsr changed my post and wrote that haha. I have lost a lot of weight since December, 20lbs Infact and still loosing it. The doctor says to keep at it last time I went but I feel really weak and it's not helpful when I have a job that requires running round and I am always running on empty haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably changed it because of the weight loss comments.

I would say then to try a different antidepressant. Especially if you're running on empty and unable to eat.
Reply 7
Original post by Airmed
Probably changed it because of the weight loss comments.

I would say then to try a different antidepressant. Especially if you're running on empty and unable to eat.

It makes it sound so dramatic haha. I get where they are coming from. I guess if I keep going like I am, it could end up being an eating disorder because I can't eat. Yeah. I was hoping to last time but my gp just upped my dosage instead haha. I'm just going to make sure I don't leave until he changes it. I need one that helps me sleep too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1455268291.759890.jpg

As you can see, I do look a lot better then I used to look, that's all I am thankful for to these tablets but I am just worried I will become underweight if things don't improve on them haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It makes it sound so dramatic haha. I get where they are coming from. I guess if I keep going like I am, it could end up being an eating disorder because I can't eat. Yeah. I was hoping to last time but my gp just upped my dosage instead haha. I'm just going to make sure I don't leave until he changes it. I need one that helps me sleep too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mirtazapine might help. That knocks you right out although it does have a side effect of weight gain (again, I had a bad experience with it). Or sertraline.

Quick Reply

Latest