Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

People looking to make Friends before starting University Of Derby

Introduction- Hi! All Welcome :smile:
12th February 2016

Hi guys,
I'm Matt. I am 18, I am currently studying Computer science and IT at college and I have accepted my place at Derby 2016 . If you are on this thread you obviously had the same thought as me. I am lucky Me and my best friend are both going Derby. But I know for a lot of you that will not be the case. I made this thread hoping that people can actually talk and meet people before going Derby uni and that I hopefully will have more than one friend going to derby after this thread is made.

I have seen some of the other threads and to be honest its a lot of people saying hi but no one is responding and just people telling basic information but no one is acting on it and trying to reach out and make an actual conversation. that is why I decided to make this thread hoping people will actually try and reach out. I am hoping this thread will become a meeting point for new people.

This Thread is open to everyone and is not subject specific.

-Matt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A bit about Matt
12th February 2016

Hi as you would have read I'm Matt I'm 18 and 5ft 9, doing computer science at derby in 2016 (if i get my grades):smile:.I am from the north west of England and i am a proud northerner :wink: . I would consider my self quite confident, easy to approach and easy to talk to about anything and everything (though I'm not so good at texting. Personally preferring to talk on the phone or face to face). I am Indie and love indie rock/ Brit pop (The likes of Bloc party, oasis, blur, MGMT,ect.) . I would say Music is my biggest passion even though i don't know how to play one instrument and i cant sing :smile: I like more than just indie rock though i like all sorts from (my guilty pleasure) Taylor swift to the cult i like pretty much all music from punk to Hip hop and grime. Other things I enjoy are computers (as you would have guessed), gaming, Anime (though not so much anymore haven't watch any in a while), Netflix :wink:, and Football.

Fav game- Football Manager 2016/ Starwars knights of the old republic
Fav song - Transmission - Joy division
Fav band - Prodigy
Fav Anime - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood/ Dragon ball
Football Team i support- Liverpool FC
Fav football Player - Jordan Henderson

Feel like ive just done a Tinder profile for you guys :wink:

SWEG 2.0.jpg Im the one in the black suit

-Matt
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hey I'm Rach. I'm 18 (will be 19 in June). I am going to study Events Management at Derby.

I am really outgoing and sociable. I love dancing and playing football (not that I'm a pro at either).

Taylor Swift is my favourite singer. I went with my best friend to her Red album at the O2 when I was 16.

I get along with pretty much everyone.

Hope to see you there. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Vennec

Hey guys, Vennec here. Formally accepted my place yesterday, I'm coming in to study Journalism. I'm into music (all types), anime (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Black Butler, etc.), motorbikes, writing and I've also got an interest in people-watching, adventure sports and travelling. Not so great at face-to-face communication -- I prefer to text or type, though where I do meet people it's mostly one on one. I only ever drink whiskey. Music-wise, I'd say I do listen to everyone, although I've been focusing my attention on Daughtry as of late. I'm very eager to make friends, I'm just not good at it.

See you in Derby!
Original post by Vennec
Vennec

Hey guys, Vennec here. Formally accepted my place yesterday, I'm coming in to study Journalism. I'm into music (all types), anime (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Black Butler, etc.), motorbikes, writing and I've also got an interest in people-watching, adventure sports and travelling. Not so great at face-to-face communication -- I prefer to text or type, though where I do meet people it's mostly one on one. I only ever drink whiskey. Music-wise, I'd say I do listen to everyone, although I've been focusing my attention on Daughtry as of late. I'm very eager to make friends, I'm just not good at it.

See you in Derby!

I get the feeling we'll get along on the anime front!
I'm Jess and I am 17, turning 18 in May. I'm coming to study Occupational Therapy BSc and Derby is my first choice. I like reading fiction and manga, watching anime, gaming and talking to my friends. I'm quite shy in person as I never can figure out what to say at the precise moment but according to my close friends i'm quite mad haha. I love rock, techno and metal and can put up with pop but I do dislike rap. I am a big fan of game of thrones, the big bang theory and breaking bad as they are amaZING. There's an anime society which looks pretty good at the uni which is a bonus. Everyone seems really nice on this forum which makes me feel less anxious! :smile:
Hey guys,

John here. I will be going to Derby for Computer Science in the fall.

I'm Canadian, I play the ukulele, I like C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald and am generally one hoopy frood.

Also, love the Game of Thrones novels. Never saw the series, though.

Anybody planning on joining any of the societies?
Reply 6
Original post by RoseTiger1
I get the feeling we'll get along on the anime front!
I'm Jess and I am 17, turning 18 in May. I'm coming to study Occupational Therapy BSc and Derby is my first choice. I like reading fiction and manga, watching anime, gaming and talking to my friends. I'm quite shy in person as I never can figure out what to say at the precise moment but according to my close friends i'm quite mad haha. I love rock, techno and metal and can put up with pop but I do dislike rap. I am a big fan of game of thrones, the big bang theory and breaking bad as they are amaZING. There's an anime society which looks pretty good at the uni which is a bonus. Everyone seems really nice on this forum which makes me feel less anxious! :smile:

Sweet. What manga do you read?

ThatOldGuy, hello there. Yeah, I'm thinking of joining some societies, not sure which ones though.
Is anyone going to derby studying any of the life sciences? My course is so tiny would be great to know more people at Kedleston. :h:
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Hey guys,

John here. I will be going to Derby for Computer Science in the fall.

I'm Canadian, I play the ukulele, I like C.S. Lewis and George MacDonald and am generally one hoopy frood.

Also, love the Game of Thrones novels. Never saw the series, though.

Anybody planning on joining any of the societies?

I have no idea what societes there are :P
Original post by Rach.is.awesome
I have no idea what societes there are :P

Okay - I'm gonna be all super-psychic and figure out what societies you want to be part of.

It all depends on how nerdy you are - At the top end of 'I'm nerdy and awesome and don't care what anybody thinks', you've got glee(Sing, then go out for a pint), Harry Potter society(Talk about Harry Potter, then go out for a pint) and all the way up to the Artsy(Theater) to the religious(Like the Islamic society) to other things.

Here's the list of societies:

https://www.udsu.co.uk/societies/a-z/

I'm gonna gueeeess... You didn't have a real push to join groups in your college and this is the first time away from home, so you're gonna join the most popular group in Derby: Cakes and Cocktails.

It's 'Cause I'm Canadian. We're all psychic.
Reply 10
Hey my name is Alex and I am going to Derby this year for culinary arts.

I like anime, computer games, outdoors and cycling

I am shy but a crazy fool and was hoping if anyone wants to hang out and chill then give me a shout.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey all!
My name is Shona and I'm 17 (18 in May), I've accepted an unconditional offer to do the new Integrated Masters in History course at Derby (4 years). I'm not that outgoing or sociable, but I'd like to join quite a few societies when I start. Music wise I listen to pretty much everything, Kpop is my favorite and mostly European music. I also won't be staying in Halls as I live in a town about 35 minutes away from Derby. So I'd like to make some good friends. I'm a huge fan of Call the Midwife, specifically Emerald Fennell; reading is something I enjoy and I do have the tendency to hoard History books for some reason.
Original post by Vennec
Sweet. What manga do you read?

ThatOldGuy, hello there. Yeah, I'm thinking of joining some societies, not sure which ones though.

My faves are bleach, fairy tail, high school dxd and attack on titan. I sometimes prefer manga to anime because it seems timeless whereas in anime, by judging the quality you can tell how old it is. I read other manga too. Blue exorcist is quite underrated IMO. What about you? :smile:
Original post by Apex12
Hey my name is Alex and I am going to Derby this year for culinary arts.

I like anime, computer games, outdoors and cycling

I am shy but a crazy fool and was hoping if anyone wants to hang out and chill then give me a shout.

Hiya
When you say computer games, do you mean playstation, xbox, Nintendo type games or just PC?
Reply 14
My faves are bleach, fairy tail, high school dxd and attack on titan. I sometimes prefer manga to anime because it seems timeless whereas in anime, by judging the quality you can tell how old it is. I read other manga too. Blue exorcist is quite underrated IMO. What about you? :smile:

Blue Exorcist is underrated, yeah. Haven't watched it in a while but I do remember it. Bleach, also, is one I tend to keep up on. I tend to prefer anime because it's in colour and sometimes I don't understand what some panels are on manga, but they're both okay. With regards to the other three, I've heard Fairy Tail has high reviews... High School DXD I've not heard of, but have also heard of Attack on Titan -- but never watched.
Original post by Vennec
Blue Exorcist is underrated, yeah. Haven't watched it in a while but I do remember it. Bleach, also, is one I tend to keep up on. I tend to prefer anime because it's in colour and sometimes I don't understand what some panels are on manga, but they're both okay. With regards to the other three, I've heard Fairy Tail has high reviews... High School DXD I've not heard of, but have also heard of Attack on Titan -- but never watched.

I LOVE the ost in bleach, especially invasion. High School DXD is extremely popular because of the story and its a harem (but all the characters actually have a personality whoop!) Fairy Tail is very good but it takes a while to get into. What do you watch?
Reply 16
Hiya
When you say computer games, do you mean playstation, xbox, Nintendo type games or just PC?

PS3 Nintendo and pc also some Pokemon games 😜😝
Original post by Apex12
PS3 Nintendo and pc also some Pokemon games 😜😝

Cool. We are a Playstation family so i've only played on ps games not xbox games. What sort of games? Skyrim is pretty good.
Gotta love pokemon XD I'v just finished omega ruby and I was like OMIGAWDTHISISAWESOME. I do like the originals too though. The champion in pokemon x was pants though.
Original post by AnnaMariaa
Is anyone going to derby studying any of the life sciences? My course is so tiny would be great to know more people at Kedleston. :h:

When you say life sciences, do you mean NHS?
Anyone on here going to study Events Managment??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending