The Student Room Group

Durham or Warwick or ??

Small argument between myself & daughter. She wants to do Economics (L100). She was rejected by Cambridge, but has received offers from Warwick (unconditional) & Bristol (conditional). Durham & Bath have both not responded yet.

She prefers to go to Durham if they accept her, for the sole reason that she likes the castle setting! Her 2nd choice is Bath, also because of the setting. I want her to go to Warwick as I believe it is better, at least for Economics. Also, it's closer to home (NW London) than Durham.

Appreciate your views. Thanks.
Having been through this with two...stay out of it.
You're not going to be right, especially if you are.
Warwick as an unconditional is a no brainer for insurance.
None of the others a disaster, by any stretch of the imagination.
You've made your views made, now chill.
Original post by Ringstone
Having been through this with two...stay out of it.
You're not going to be right, especially if you are.
Warwick as an unconditional is a no brainer for insurance.
None of the others a disaster, by any stretch of the imagination.
You've made your views made, now chill.

It is only unconditional if chosen as a primary choice, putting it as insurance will make it conditional.
Warwick is a no brainer because it is on par with Bath and being unconditional will make it even easier to choose.
Original post by 0123456543210
It is only unconditional if chosen as a primary choice, putting it as insurance will make it conditional.
Warwick is a no brainer because it is on par with Bath and being unconditional will make it even easier to choose.

Ah, my mistake, it's a couple of years since No2 left....for M.Eng at Bath :smile:
Basic point still holds though.
Reply 4
Unconditional economics at Warwick? Has she already done her A2s?

I would pick Warwick then Bath out of that list.
Reply 5
Original post by LimeFizz
... Has she already done her A2s?

Yes, she got A*, A*, A, b. She applied using her actual results, not forecast. There is a gap in her education from A2 up to commencement of uni in Sep/Oct 2016, which she was asked to explain.
Doesn't the offer have to be unconditional anyway? She already has the grades lol
Original post by Rambus
Yes, she got A*, A*, A, b. She applied using her actual results, not forecast. There is a gap in her education from A2 up to commencement of uni in Sep/Oct 2016, which she was asked to explain.

She should go Warwick lol. It's almost on par with Cambridge for Economics and is targeted by top employers & banks.

But if she wants to realise her dream of living in a castle lol, I guess that's up to her. She'll probably be able to get a job through Durham.
What's her offer from Bristol dependent on then?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Doesn't the offer have to be unconditional anyway? She already has the grades lol

Yep lol. They can't make an offer based on the condition that you achieve what you have already achieved.
Original post by High Stakes
Yep lol. They can't make an offer based on the condition that you achieve what you have already achieved.

Yep XD
Just my opinion -

Warwick, but Durham would be fine too.

Although Durham has a better overall uni reputation, student life, experience and general amounts of happiness, Warwick actually gets specifically targeted by the top banks due to its intensive course. It's on par with LSE/Oxbridge. Bath is also strong in economics; its business placements are a huge advantage.
However, if she goes to Warwick and drops out after half a year due to loathing the concrete jungle, then obviously Durham would've been the better choice aha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
What a level options did she choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending